Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Combo Sail and Camp Trailer Concept  Bottom

• In traveling to many sailing venues it would be nice to conveniently and inexpensively have basic camping accommodations in tow. My first thought was hitch the camper to the back of the boat trailer (or vise versa) in a double articulated arrangement. Everyone I consulted said yes, possible, legal etc., but highly impractical and high risk for accidents not to mention backing up.

My next thought was to build a flatbed large enough for both the boat and the camper thus returning to a single articulated arrangement which is familiar. I feel certain this has been done/attempted before. Anyone ever try it?

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=126760&g2_serialNumber=3

Edited by leeboweffect on Feb 18, 2017 - 06:04 PM.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Seems pretty impractical to load two trailers onto another large trailer. i don't even know how you would do that. Winch them up? Then when you get to your destination, you have to unload them, hitch them to your car, and deal with three trailers? Don't think I would want to deal with that.

I did have a thought not too long ago about adding a small teardrop trailer to my existing cat trailer. The teardrop could be mounted between the bows of the boat. These campers are only suitable for a max of two people, and would probably get a little cramped for much more than a weekend regatta, but it would certainly be an improvement over tent camping.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/recreational-vehicles/clc-teardrop-trailer.html

sm
  • Like the drawing!!
    My concern/question is, is it road-legal with such length?
    Overhere in Europe the max length of a trailer is 12 Mtr (39,4 Ft)
    and the max length with towing vehicle combined is 18 Mtr (59,1 Ft).
    Looks you are a tat longer than that..

Grtz, A

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • How about you build a pop topper that fits under your boat on the trailer.

Remove the boat and pop open that custom tent like structure with a hard roof?

Does anyone remember Coleman's Apogee? icon_wink

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • I think that you are overthinking this. I put a slide in camper in my pickup bed and tow the boat behind. I also
    have a stable lift which allows me to drive out from under the camper and use it without the truck leaving it for running around town if needed. Several that travel with me have motor homes that they tow their boats behind.

Your plan to use a large trailer means having to own a truck so the slide in camper solves the trailer/camper issue.

Also just noticed that you have a Hobie 16. I have seen people strap a 16 to the top of a popup camper.

Pete

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • More practically, somewhere in the photo albums there is a picture of a PopUp camper that has had the crossbars from a Hobie trailer attached, then the boat is just lifted onto the roof of the camper, which is pretty low compared to those trucks.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DogboySeems pretty impractical to load two trailers onto another large trailer. i don't even know how you would do that. Winch them up?

Ramps, a winch and a friend. Yes, a bit cumbersome, but... If you put the camper up front you wouldn't have to unload it, just pop the top and camp. You really wouldn't have to unload the boat trailer either, just lift the boat off as if it were on top of a camper. I was thinking of an Aliner hard sided pop up like this:

http://aliner.com/campers/classic/

I've camped in one a few times and they are quite adequate. They even have heat and air if you're lucky enough to have electricity at your site.

Dogboybut it would certainly be an improvement over tent camping.

I'm with you on the tent camping. I pretty much got my fill of that as a kid. It's not too bad in the Spring or Fall, but that Summer thing forget it!!!

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • catmoddingLike the drawing!!

Thanks. Just a quick paste up with MS paint to convey the concept.

catmoddingMy concern/question is, is it road-legal with such length?

In the US most restrictions on vehicle sizes and weights very be state. Generally you can go up to 40 ft. single articulated as long as you are under 10,000 lbs. without a special permit or license. Note that the 40 ft. is just the trailer, the overhang doesn't count.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • pknapp66Your plan to use a large trailer means having to own a truck so the slide in camper solves the trailer/camper issue.

I drive a GMC Envoy Denali with a 5.3 L V8. It's certified to tow up to 6,000 lbs.. This rig would be:

Boat and boat trailer = 1,000 lbs.
    Camper = 2,000 lbs.
    Combo trailer = 2,000
    Total GTW = 5,000 lbs.

With a GTW of 5,000 lbs. (conservatively) I'm well under my max. so I would not need a truck. Even 6,000 lbs. is no problem for the Envoy. I use to tow my MacGregor 25 with it, no surge brakes, and never had a problem of any kind.

Edited by leeboweffect on Feb 18, 2017 - 06:20 PM.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Still not making a lot of sense to me. Loading trailers onto another trailer seems like a huge amount of extra work. Your boat is going to be about five feet up in the air. You're not going to be able to just roll it off. You will either have to unload the whole boat trailer and then unload the boat or lift the boat off of both trailers which will take at least four people. Not to mention all the added work of ramping/winching both trailers up onto the large trailer, getting them positioned and strapped down and then hauling around this monstrosity.

Maybe consider getting a large flat bed trailer and mounting the pop up camper (sans frame, axle, wheels, etc) to the front of the flat bed and then mounting rollers/cradles in the back for your boat. Otherwise, a slide in pickup camper or a full on RV seem like a better route.

sm
  • dogboyconsider getting a large flat bed trailer and mounting the pop up camper (sans frame, axle, wheels, etc) to the front of the flat bed and then mounting rollers/cradles in the back for your boat.

Agreed.
    Lose the extra axles and reduce it all to one trailer.
    Once you setup and roll the cat off, that area could be your camper's front porch, or a cooking area, or armory- if you are a hunter.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • You can buy a flat bed trailer with the front say 20' built out as an enclosed trailer, and the back half a flat bed. I wouldn't mess with bringing the boat trailer with you, just build supports for the boat on the flat bed.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/tow-rigs-trailers/906618d1370204778-commercial-built-gooseneck-rv-flatbed-2008bloomer015.jpg
  • Keep it simple
    https://im1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/003074741191/media/82535200444/medium/1487546734859/enhance
    Opps now I see camper trailer

Edited by onekiwi on Feb 19, 2017 - 11:58 PM.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.