Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How Not To Land A Beach Cat  Bottom

• Here we go, a couple of guys "John Wayne'n" their boat on to the beach. This is sometimes referred to as a kamikaze landing. It looks so cool and is a crowd pleaser, but I can assure you they won't be laughing so loud when they have to do fiberglass repair to the bottom of the boat.

https://www.youtube.com/w…kQNCYQg&feature=youtu.be

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • The title says "Hobie 16 beach crash 40 knots".

Looks more like "Hobie 16 lands normally" woohoo

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Well, yes Damon, it is kind of normal. I wonder if there was any beer involved yes

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • i see lots of people land "hobie style" - some foolish kids, some foolish old timers - still looks fun

one friend has added extra carbon fiber/kevlar to his hull bottoms for long term wear (not to charge 5' up a beach - but gentle beach landings and gentle parking on the sand)

I have moved into the "fix it yourself" class of sailor (due to costs) ... and have more respect for my boat and prefer to keep the shape of my bows as close to factory as possible

I can "Showoff" without taking off any gel-coat these days :)
  • Hobie 16 bottom repair-job including materials and a triple
    gelcoat finish by me ...€ 250,00
    Club-members only.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Totally normal landing for a 16 where I'm from. Other than depowering a little, what could be done different?
  • Hell No!!!! I'm not abusing my boat like that. I can understand sliding up on a sandy beach, but those guys went beyond the narrow beach. Looks cool, I agree, but I'm not doing it.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • You come in blazing like that on a Florida beach in the summer you will likely hit a swimmer or two. Swimmer have no clue how much force a cat has coming in. Add in waves and it gets crazy trying to control a safe landing especially when your rudders kick up as you are crossing a sandbar. Sometime, I or the crew have jumped over the back cross bar then grabbed on to the cross bar to use our bodies as drag to slow down while the one left on the cat yells at the swimmers to get out of the way.

--
    Prindle 18 w/ wings, Prindle 16, Prindle 15, current
    Hobie 16 in rebuild
    2 Hobie 18 past
    NACRA 5.2 past

Saint Cloud, Florida
    member Lake Eustis Sail Club
    http://www.lakeeustissailingclub.org
    --
  • Many many years ago, I was crewing for a guy who beached it like that. The grass was slick and we came in a haulin'. Had we not taken a tree between the bows, we probably would have made it to the parking lot. That's how folks beached their boats "back in the day" (before everyone was so concerned about their precious bottoms...).

Will have to see if the tree still has the scar. icon_biggrin

sm
  • I watched a crew do this on a cat (not H16). Then get off the boat with several boxes, and head to the canteen. It was the delivery boys, delivering to a small island that has a canteen. What a job!!

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • Tame by my standards, of course you DONT make a landing where there are kids?swimmers; wish i had a video of up the ramp bay landings of old ,you better only try them at high tide and gauge the waves hitting the bulkhead, because if either hull slips under the ramp " forget about it!" We used to do ocean landings on one hull catching "sets" miles out and riding them in, kept Murrays in business replacing rudders and castings (thank you Stan),they were a lot cheaper in the 70s, and/or we learned to do aluminum welding, but we put on a good show for those on the beach and all the surfers gave us the right of way , and no booze just adrenaline, hobie high ,haven a hobie day, but we sailed prindles in the surf hobi16s & !8s too. Yes we had to reglass hulls but it was from schlepping the cats up and down the beach
  • QuoteTotally normal landing for a 16 where I'm from. Other than depowering a little, what could be done different?

hope you're kidding but incase your not:

you should never sail out of control - you can hurt other people
    pedestrians (swimmers/standers) have right of way -and no clue (same with most kayaks, sup's, pwd, and at least 98.999% of the powerboaters i see)

if the beach is dead downwind: you can sail downwind until your close and do a 180, center your travler, release your jib (furl is better) pull up boards.. drift backwards - drop anchor or jump off in shallows

or you could reach close to the beach and turn into the wind at the correct moment
  • I don't see the big deal about it, (as long as there were not a bunch of swimmers in his path), most of what he landed on was grassy.
    A few years ago in the Caribbean, I watched an H16 get driven up onto a soft sand beach, as fully powered as that one was, a dozen times a day, for days on end.
    I asked the resort guy about damage, he just shrugged, said they do it all season. It appeared they just painted some resin on the bottom when required, & they weren't to careful about the cosmetics of it. I wouldn't do it with the more fragile hulls, but the H16 has a lot of material on the bottoms.
    I saw a fleet of European Hobies (15'?) at a resort last year. They had an orange strip of plastic attached to the bottom, about 1" thick. They rode them onto the beach all day long, albeit in gentler conditions.
    I also don't believe the title, 40kts. I call BS.
    40 kts is 46mph. You can see at the very beginning there is a decent fetch, yet there are only a few small whitecaps. In front of my house, if I have even 30 mph wind the lake is completely covered with whitecaps, though wave height is small due to a short fetch. Once outside the point, the long fetch gives waves of 6'-8'in a 30mph wind.
    I have a video,(trying to figure out how to post it), I took crossing Cook Straight,(between N & S Islands in New Zealand)a few weeks ago. Winds started at 30kts, built to 40. Wave heights were 14'-18'. Hours after we pulled into Wellington, the buoy in the Straight showed Beaufort 11, winds of 55-62kts, with waves of almost 12 meters,(38'). The skipper berthed in Wellington, & we stayed there for day.

Edited by Edchris177 on Jan 27, 2017 - 02:17 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • dear Kiwi mate ,sorry i forgot name of round the world sailor whose book i just finished but left in Fla.,who described being caught in a storm between N.&S. Islands and the hairy conditions he endured there: so I comprehend/Accept your wind/wave estimates and agree with you. Hobie Alter was a SURFER FIRST AND DESIGNED THE HOBIE 14(i had one of the 1st H 16s on east coast early 70s modeled after H14 with Jib added) AS A BEACHCAT WITH THE CLEAR INTENT TO MAKE THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE EXCITING and provide a surfers perspective to cat sailing. So thats why we go for it when swimmers/bathers are not in the way, or in danger.MN3s photo shot of him going over shows he loves to experience sailing on the edge too.
  • That is a place I sail from often (Sarasota Bay, next to the Sarasota Sailing Squadron) and the area has lots of barnacle coated rocks.
  • QuoteI saw a fleet of European Hobies (15'?) at a resort last year. They had an orange strip of plastic attached to the bottom, about 1" thick. They rode them onto the beach all day long, albeit in gentler conditions.
    I also don't believe the title, 40kts. I call BS.

rental boats should have a protective strip on them .. they get beat up
    locally - Sail honeymoon stopped renting fiberglass boats (g-cat's) as they were too much work and went to roto-mold trimerans

few people rent sailboats, most SUP's and some kayaks -

Totally agree on the winds call... not even blowing 20 by the looks of the tree tops and water (but video often looks much calmer than it actually is/was)
  • [quoteEdchris177]I also don't believe the title, 40kts. I call BS.[/quote]

+1. Not even close to 40kts.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • My Twincat 15 has metal strip at the bottom. I still would not do that to my cat.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.