Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Gcat 5.0 and have some questions  Bottom

• I bought a Gcat in northern Michigan this fall and brought it to Cedar Hill, Texas for the winter. I downloaded all the manuals I could from Beachcats but still have questions about the rigging. When stepping the mast, how important is that Teflon Rotation Plate and where do you get one? Also, after the mast is stepped, and you remove the line that was placed thru the ball, do you put a pin thru the mast base and ball to keep it secure? Or do you just ensure the shrouds and forestay are tight enough to keep the mast in place and allowed to swivel on the mast ball. If that's the case, is there a problem in a knockdown with the mast coming off the ball? Thanks for any help, I'm sure I will have more questions. Thanks, Katman, real name, John Hogan

--
    Katman
    --
  • QuoteWhen stepping the mast, how important is that Teflon Rotation Plate and where do you get one?

it will reduce the wear on your mast and ball significantly if not mostly...
    i am sure you can buy them online at murrays.com or hobie.com, or any hobie dealer
    I personally use a gator-aid (orange) lid. fits perfect, doesn't squirt out during stepping and not only free... they are all over my beach (they sell them on the beach)

QuoteAlso, after the mast is stepped, and you remove the line that was placed thru the ball, do you put a pin
    thru the mast base and ball to keep it secure? Or do you just ensure the shrouds and forestay are tight enough to keep the mast in place and allowed to swivel on the mast ball.

let it free... your 3 anchor points hold it and stop it from falling (fore and side-stays).

QuoteIf that's the case, is there a problem in a knockdown with the mast coming off the ball

you can hang your boat upside down .. .shake it and yell at it and it wont demast (unless rigged wrong or you have a critical failure of a part

As long as you don't have a ridiculous amount of slop in your rigging
    your mast WANTS and NEEDs to rotate to be fast, and efficient

all stays should be "snug as a bug" on the beach

and "the more she blows... the harder it (your rigging and sheeting) goes"...

Edited by MN3 on Jan 12, 2017 - 06:36 PM.
  • You mentioned you had the manuals, don't know if you've seen this, section "B" details raising the mast and when to insert the teflon chip.

I'm sure you could sail it without the chip but the metal-to-metal surfaces will wear and squeak and not rotate as freely if they are rough.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=109245&g2_serialNumber=3 http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=87663&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.