Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 Hull Snap Off  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• lakeemmahere, across the Canadian prairies we'll be lucky to get the boats i9n the water by the end of May...

Lakeemma

Don't worry, the air is warm and the water is soft in May in the Florida Keys!

Follow in the footsteps of last years Canadian team and come on down for the Florida 300.
    https://www.sailseriespro….com/racing-as-a-family/
    https://www.sailseriespro…ional-again-sergey-duko/

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • http://img.allw.mn/content/px/en/f3gwszhz55ae771869991495487245.jpg

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • [/quote]

Hey why not put that beautiful Tornado in the container Bob Hensen is bringing to the USA for the Florida 300? Sailing in the warm waters of the Florida Keys in May![/quote]

That idea is so tempting, Damon. Unfortunately work won't let me.
    I will follow the race on the web tough.

Grtz, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Quote.epoxy improperly mixed forcing it in too hard ballooning laminates and making things worse.

expanded? or got too hot and melted?

what brand epoxy?

Edited by MN3 on Jan 20, 2017 - 07:09 PM.
  • Awesome video. This happened to an H18 at a regatta I attended years ago, and I always wondered what it looked like when it happened. A couple of observations on the video:

1. Unless this is an effect of the fisheye lens, the front crossbar is compressed downward suggesting a loose dolphin striker. This is also apparent by some movement I think I see in the dolphin striker post relative to the crossbar.

2. After the capsize, it appears the bow deck is delaminated. That could have been a result of the fracture, but I think the cause was probably the other way around.

3. Both crew members are hanging out on the shroud, which I suppose could be inducing more load on the entire rig including the bridles/forestay.

My old H18 hulls had some significant delalmintation that I repaired with the injection method. I had a small delam repair forward of the crossbar that spooked me. Then one day I polished the boat up and saw a slight waviness on the inboard starboard bow just ahead of the crossbar. I wrote the boat off for channel crossings or any heavy weather sailing at that point. I then replaced both hulls and the boat is rock solid again.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • QuoteMy old H18 hulls...

You got the most out of those hulls!

Bill, great to see you here, hope all is well. I've meant to do it in the past but I've assigned you the esteemed Five-Star rank of "Online Pioneer" for all you did with the On The Wire eZine, long before I had ever done TheBeachcats.com.

I hope you'll accept this honor.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thank you sir! Not only will I accept it, I will drink to it. (I was going to drink anyway, but now I have an excuse.)

Yeah, I beat the crap out of that boat. The old hulls are laying in my yard. I was thinking of cutting doors in the decks and making giant coolers out of them.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • QuoteThank you sir! Not only will I accept it, I will drink to it. (I was going to drink anyway, but now I have an excuse.)

I'll drink to it too!
  • Party time!!! icon_lol

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.