Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Would you be a beach monkey for a free Florida Vacation?  Bottom

• Hopefully the humorous title will get everyone to read this. icon_biggrin

This isn't a joke though, I really need some feedback. I really don't know if this is ridiculous or something beachcat sailors would be interested in doing.

I'm helping organize the Florida 300 that will run May 2-6, 2017 from Islamorada Florida to Daytona Beach Florida. Previously I've helped out with the Tybee 500 and earlier F300's but now I'm a board member of the OA (Organizing Authority), the non-profit Sail Series Promotions USA Inc.

We want to grow the race, and the biggest obstacle to entering a race like this is the need for ground crew. We are toying with the idea of advertising for independent ground crew for teams that have the ability to race but either just don't have anyone available that can tag along for a week, or are coming from very far away (Europe, the West Coast) so the expense and logistics of bringing extra people and a trailer is prohibitive.

What if I asked you to come to Islamorada, Florida May 1st with your suitable vehicle and trailer, and be the support for a team? Spend the week on a different beautiful beach each day? Islamorada, Key Biscayne, Palm Beach Shores, Vero Beach, Cocoa Beach, Daytona Beach.

All you would get for your efforts would be a free hotel room at each beach and maybe some per diem for food and gas. You could bring a wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/stripper for help and company, just make sure they understand the priorities of your "job" for the week.

Each team/boat needs at least one extra grown person taking care of them while they race five days straight morning till evening. The Team Manager, boat momma, crew chief, beach monkey, among other things could be responsible for:

• Pushing the boat off the beach at the start each morning
    • Pulling the team trailer to the next stop, finding the correct place to park, and carrying beach wheels and other necessaries to the beach, sometimes this can be a hike.
    • Waiting for their team to finish through the surf, fetch the beach wheels and help pull the boat up to dry land. (all the teams support helps each other with this when the beach is steep or the surf is big)
      • The best team managers are ready with a beer and a sandwich for arriving teams.

• Deal with your teams nasty wet gear, put the boat to bed, do small/big repairs, whatever is needed so the racers can get something to eat and go to bed.
    • Be on the beach early and have to boat ready to roll. Push it out into the surf and off to the next beach.
    • Join in the big end-of-the-race party at Daytona Beach!
    • Tell stories the rest of the year.

Please let me know what you think and feel free to pass this on through Facebook etc. to try to get more feedback. We have teams that could enter the race if this could happen but I have no idea right now if it's practical or not.

And if you are an experienced Team Manager please chime in with additions/comments to my list of responsibilities above.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I like it and may be interested.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • saltlife77I like it and may be interested.

That's great, details to work out but so far great feedback on Facebook where I shared this topic.
    https://www.facebook.com/…s/posts/1298018243554961

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Please spread the word about this, really need feedback. If you know anyone that would be great for this please let them know. When/If this becomes a real thing I will have an application form available on the https://www.SailSeriesPromotions.com website to gather information.

It should be clear that anyone who volunteers to ground crew for a team is creating a relationship between them and that team and not with SSPUSA, the Florida 300, TheBeachcats.com, or Damon Linkous. icon_wink

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Yeah I saw your post on Facebook too. I shared it on my page as well. Please keep us posted on this if it happens the way you are hoping it does. Thanks.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • saltlife77Yeah I saw your post on Facebook too. I shared it on my page as well. Please keep us posted on this if it happens the way you are hoping it does. Thanks.

Thanks for sharing and spreading the idea. The organizers are still mixed on the idea so I'm trying to find out how many out there would be firmly interested.

To be clear, this is all in the hands of Sail Series Promotions USA Inc., the Florida 300 Organizing Authority.

Anyone that things they might be interested should sign up for the announcement email list on the SSPUSA website. Official messages will come from there.

Link https://www.sailseriespro…s.com/announcement-list/

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Ok thanks. I signed up.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Damon,
    I'm very interested. I may be able to go with another able-bodied sailor.
    I'm unclear why we'd need to bring our vehicle and especially our trailer. I figured we'd be bringing the team's trailer and possibly their vehicle. I can drive the 1000+ miles down there if needed but I doubt my H16 trailer would be of any use.

EDIT: OK, I see now where teams could be coming from afar. I figured each boat would have a trailer but if not I'll do what I can. Borrowing a trailer down there would be far better, though.

Edited by antonlargiader on Dec 20, 2016 - 08:42 PM.
  • antonlargiaderDamon,
    I'm very interested. I may be able to go with another able-bodied sailor.
    I'm unclear why we'd need to bring our vehicle and especially our trailer. I figured we'd be bringing the team's trailer and possibly their vehicle. I can drive the 1000+ miles down there if needed but I doubt my H16 trailer would be of any use.

This idea started in order to support the European teams that are bringing boats in a container. They won't be bringing trailers or vehicles, so that is what we are working to figure out.

Hopefully we won't need a vehicle and trailer for every single boat, they can be double stacked if needed and one Suburban type SUV can carry the pushers and ground crew for several teams.

The details are close to being worked out, more announcements to come. Registration for teams entering the Florida 300 opens January 1st.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • It could happen, but if the team wanted to roll on my trailer they would want to buy some cradles, rather than use my rollers. icon_eek

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Last year the Euro team added an element of high energy humor and openly shared their sense of adventure. They are really good people, a pleasure to around and extremely appreciative of all help provided.. We are looking forward to seeing them again and meeting the new teams they bring with them.

A big thanks to everyone considering committing their time and resources to support these folks. They are making a significant commitment and investment themselves and will put their total trust in you to manage the various logistics of the race. In return you will make some awesome friends and be an integral part of their adventure. I believe it will be an unforgettable experience.

It should be noted that last year's Euro team, the Dutch Rockerz, were using the race to attract sponsors and donations for a children's charity back in Holland.

If you step up, please stop by our boat and say hi so we can thank you in person. I always have a cooler full of cold beer just in case someone forgot theirs and gets thirsty.

Dick Macdonald
    Team Turtle Mojo
    Cirrus R F18
  • My only hope is that the Euro teams provide similar support for Americans planning to attend the F18 Raid World Championships in August. In the past simply getting charter boats for Worlds has proven problematic, though on the continent usually easier to arrange. Necessary as it won't be possible to sail Raid Worlds and F18 Nationals in the U.S on the same platform.

A couple of organizational notes. First, not all trailers are created equal and not all can support high performance boats or double stacking. If someone is coming from up north, I do have a trailer I can loan for this but would need a deposit to ensure it returns in the same condition it left, and a new set of tires most likely post trip. The best thing is to find trailers in Florida! Second up is vehicles, all is fine and dandy if using personal vehicles but rental cars become problematic when trying to get one with a hitch for towing.

Edited by samc99us on Dec 21, 2016 - 02:40 PM.
  • grandude...

Dick Macdonald
    Team Turtle Mojo
    Cirrus R F18

Dick, Thanks for joining the conversation! Great to have input from experienced racers.

For members here that don't know, he is just as friendly and helpful on the beach as he sounds here.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.