Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

5.7 G-Cat  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

• Anyone have a particular site that they like for DIY fiberglass repair?

I also have some glass repair I need to do on the bottom hulls of the Hobie.

I have viewed a lot of videos on Hobie Hull repair not sure which way to go...
  • QuoteHey MN3. It's Pete in Deland. We have spoke a few times.

Hi Pete!
    how's the 450 treating you?
  • Very Well. Haven't been out in a few weeks. Missing it. We are thinking of doing the 1st Annual Bluster on the Bay regatta in January. Have you heard anything about it?

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • nope... if it's one of them race thingies... where you have to pay attention and sail at your best..... it's not for me - but you should do it if it's your kinda thing!

ps there is always a hangover regatta here in dundine on jan 1
  • Hangover Regatta Huh...That sounds interesting!!

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Looking for some advice on a repair for this grommet on the G-Cat mainsail.

It appears as if someone put some kind of metal like material to hold the grommet in.

I was thinking on removing the old grommet and repairing it with a 4.5" by 5" Nylon headboard with rivets.

I can not find any eyelet or grommet that would fit in the 1.5" hole in the sailcloth. This is a quick and simple fix without taking it to a sail repair shop. I have an order ready to place with Sailrite and thought I would add this to the order....

I believe this is my downhall ring.

http://i63.tinypic.com/15nrq6d.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/j9na87.jpg
  • You need a wider-area repair to the bolt rope on your sail, as well as a new grommet and reinforcement. A sail shop can make short work of that. Alternatively, you're going to need edge tape, a replacement grommet and some skills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGhij79W4QY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXInsgf3RGE

Edited by tominpa on Dec 11, 2016 - 12:23 PM.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I am taking on the repair (DIY) of the boltrope for my Hobie 16 mainsail (which is why I have an order with Sailrite pending) and used that first video from Sailrite for the inspiration to do it.

Was just hoping to do a quick fix on the replacement of the grommet on the G-Cat's mainsail....

Even looked at a jiffy grommet with rivets but it is still too small to cover the hole.

May have to take it to the local sailmaker.... $85 an hour.
  • you can put a new grommet above (or below) the old wonky one.

I would reinforce it with a patch or strop (actually, i would bury that sail and get a new one..)

look at the strap going through the grommet https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/windcheck/pages/389/attachments/original/1395519796/reef_back-up_lashings.png?1395519796

but realize every stroke of a needle is perforating an old and tired sail and can induce a failure with enough pressure (wind) so tread lightly :)

Edited by MN3 on Dec 14, 2016 - 08:02 PM.
  • Looking to buy a 5.7 G-cat.... anyone?
  • topher39Looking to buy a 5.7 G-cat.... anyone?

Are you a Facebooker? There is a Gcat Owners group that may be worth a post if no one on here has any leads
  • Love my G-Cat 5.0. Good luck with the 5.7 search - they're out there but rarer than hens teeth in good condition. Great Great handling and flys hulls predictably and not jerky. Need beach wheels tho - they dig in deep when pulling them up on loose sand. Worth the investment to get new sails if yours are that beat up i'd say.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • QuoteNeed beach wheels tho -

if you have the right beach/ramp you can get away without wheels most of the time if you don't mind getting your hubs wet

I personally NEVER get my trailer wheels wet, but many of our G-cat owners can get away without using wheels when the water/tide is right

edit - the reason g-cats can do it and other cat's can't is the front tramp - you can stand up there while the boat is on the trailer and you can't on most other cats

Edited by MN3 on Feb 21, 2018 - 01:37 PM.
  • MN3I personally NEVER get my trailer wheels wet, but many of our G-cat owners can get away without using wheels when the water/tide is right

I'm a freshwater guy, sometimes mildly brackish water out near Rio Vista... so this may be a dumb question: Why?

As a 4wheeler, I regularly forded water over my hubs (again fresh water)... with good maintenance (synthetic grease works especially well), that was never a problem. I sail most at Folsom Lake, which is a granite reservoir with sometimes sandy/silty 'beaches' - generally thin at best. More often than not, I back right down into the water ... last week I had lousy slope, so the Subaru was 10 feet in the water as well, with the exhaust barely under.

Is it the salt that's the big difference?

Randii
  • fxloopLove my G-Cat 5.0. Good luck with the 5.7 search - they're out there but rarer than hens teeth in good condition. Great Great handling and flys hulls predictably and not jerky. Need beach wheels tho - they dig in deep when pulling them up on loose sand. Worth the investment to get new sails if yours are that beat up i'd say.

Agree completely with all of this. I can wrestle the bows out of the surfline but after that wheels better be near by. I actually carry them with me on the boat because I am helpless moving it without them. Got some new sails and she sails like a new boat.
  • QuoteI'm a freshwater guy, sometimes mildly brackish water out near Rio Vista... so this may be a dumb question: Why?

It is my belief that the salt greatly increase the galvanic corrosion for boats and trailers

QuoteIs it the salt that's the big difference?

Yes - especially here on the face of the sun (florida).
    after you put your boat and trailer in, the trailer just bakes all day/weekend/week rusting in the sun (which is just as destructive to your unprotected metal, lines and fittings on your boat / esp here in fl)

I was at a local hitch shop getting a new hitch installed on my new car last year
    guy behind the counter and i shot this shit for over an hour = at one point he mentioned he brought a presurized water tank (i.e. bug sprayer) filled w soapy water and he would rinse down his trailer after every time it touched the water (after put in, and again after pull out)
    - I personally would only do this with eco friendly soap on our gulf
  • jalex
    fxloopLove my G-Cat 5.0. Good luck with the 5.7 search - they're out there but rarer than hens teeth in good condition. Great Great handling and flys hulls predictably and not jerky. Need beach wheels tho - they dig in deep when pulling them up on loose sand. Worth the investment to get new sails if yours are that beat up i'd say.

Agree completely with all of this. I can wrestle the bows out of the surfline but after that wheels better be near by. I actually carry them with me on the boat because I am helpless moving it without them. Got some new sails and she sails like a new boat.

congrats on the sails
    where did you get them?
  • Quotecongrats on the sails
    where did you get them?

They were made by SuperSails in Ft. Lauderdale and I am very happy with them. In full disclosure they were made for another Gcat sailor who shortly there after had unrepairable damage to his boat so I was able to get the sails, I'd be surprised if they were even used once, they are flawless. Boat seems to point better and tack better.
  • MN3It is my belief that the salt greatly increase the galvanic corrosion for boats and trailers

This definitely makes sense, and I'm grateful that my experience has been limited... beyond growing up in Michigan and watching cars dissolve almost entirely due to road salt. Thought-provoking for sure for when I do eventually hit the big water!

Thanks!

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.