Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New SLO Sails  Bottom

• My new set of SLO sails arrived today and do they look cool. I don't have the battens yet, so can't raise the sails yet, but this old boat is going to rock very soon. I am no expert on buying sails, but so far these sails and the tramp I bought from SLO show very high quality workmanship and finishing. Working with Andrew at SLO was pleasant, informative and very prompt.

Here is a quick look at these sails laying on the ground:
    https://youtu.be/sthb-xXOzrk

Dark blue hulls, tangerine sails and black standing rigging are going to be the new rage.

This End Up should be flying soon.

dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • Very, VERY, nice!!!!! I can't wait to see your boat finished!!! I really like the arrow pointing up on the sail, that's great and shows a sense of humor and I have always thought that name, "This End Up", is just fantastic!!!! Have to ask, what's the monohull in the back?

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • It is a J30 hull #281. Not quite as old as my Nacra, but close. I decided that if I was going to slow down on a monohull I should make the adjustment as painless as possible. This boat has a reputation for being pretty fast for a monohull. It is about smiles per mile and hopefully once a very long list of fixes and upgrades are done I can stop the sweating part and do some smiling. Working on the Nacra last summer made me realize that it is not about the age of the boat, it is about the features of the boat design. The 5.2 has many of the things I like to see in a cat, it is fast, it is a pretty simple and effective rig, it looks fantastic, sails extremely well and every now and then it literally throws me for a loop.

dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • Beautiful restoration, I enjoyed watching all of your videos. The new sails look great as well.
  • Your attention to detail and disregard of costs is amazing! Can't wait to see the boat on water.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Actually the costs were not all that extraordinary compared to buying a new boat or a much newer boat and that is essentially what I have now. Here is an approximate breakdown of the big ticket items:

Sails $2,000
    Standing rigging and wire
    halyards $700
    Paint and supplies
    for the hulls,beams and mast $700
    Running rigging $250
    Tramp $250
    New complete Harken traveler $400

Total $4,300

Boat in 1976 no trailer ~ $3,200

So I spent more rebuilding it than it cost me new in 1976, But now it actually has a traveler that works. It is also much more colorful than it was back when I first bought it. I also have a very high confidence in the rigging and structure that I did not have before the rebuild. I need to get out and do some shakedown runs to confirm that every thing is sound and we are making plans to do that soon. Hopefully then I can get some video of the boat and complete the story on the rebuild and post it.

While the boat is 40 years old it is not an antique. It represents the state of the art at that point in time and the price point that Tom Roland thought he could sell a bunch of fast boats at. Having replaced every rivet and had every last bit of this boat apart it is actually stunning to realize how many elements and systems there are on this 17' boat. The fiberglass is just as good and strong today as it was in 1976 maybe even stronger with the minor repairs that were done. The aluminum had some pitting that was not visible when assembled, but was not near bad enough to be a structural issue. That the rivet holes had not enlarged at all was huge in my opinion because if they had enlarged they would have had to have been all relocated or enlarged and that would look bad and in some cases been structural issues. This boat has spent equal time in salt and freshwater for reference.

So I think the question someone reading this should be thinking about is, if you can buy a Nacra 5.2 (or similar older boat) for $1,000 to $1,500 and spend another $4,000 to make it totally new, is that a good value case. I think it is and there are lots of ways to spend way less than I did on this boat rebuild, but I was going for like new condition and I think we are very close to that. I haven't put any value on the time I put into this project because I was having fun (except for all that sanding of screwed up paint coatings). I think many cat sailors could do much of this same work with only a few new tools added to their toolbox, mainly that honking rivet tool for pulling the Monel or Stainless rivets. While I am now satisfied with the Interlux Perfection paint job I am not sure I would recommend this finish to someone else as many of you know it nearly drove me crazy(ier).

dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • Most restorations will spend more time and money than can be recovered but the pure joy of doing it will be rewarded on the first sail and is priceless. I have done this with two cats and don't regret any of it. Looking now for my next project.

--
    David
    Nacra 5.5SL
    Nacra 5.2 (sold)
    San Diego, CA
    --
  • I have followed your renewal from the beginning, and even adopted the Perfection paint idea. Your atention to detail and diligence has yielded amazing results. Don't take my cost comment as critical.

I'd love to have some new sails. Maybe eventually. The Interlux Perfection paint really made the boat look great. I even had offers on it while I was pulling it from the water this weekend. Next year, new wire and a tramp. I took the boat back to the cottage, disassembled it, and laid the hulls upside down on top of the pontoon boat, and covered with a tarp. What a sad sight.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-10/3c2a1c36-27a2-444b-8712-5af123285a9a.jpg

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I know that you'll be happy with your product from SLO, they have done me SOLID in the past. I had the 5.2 with the star that is on the site. They also did my trampoline and a couple other things on it. Great craftsmanship and they have cut quite a few 5.2 sails and developed them to what they are. Mine performed super well.
    My only advice is to put some clear tape where the spreaders hit right away. I waited too long but clear gorilla tape has been great.
    I did pretty much all of that to my 5.2 also, it was a blast to do and the result made it worth it. It is one sexy boat, especially when you consider the age.
    Lastly and most importantly, your boat looks GREAT man! Nice work! Those sails are really going to set it off.

Have fun, sail fast!

-Cesar

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • I will get after the jib and spreader contact point. The new diamond wires from Murray's has a cool roller that sits on top of the spreader so hopefully that will help too.

I guess after years and years of looking at those colorful Hobies out there, I just had to go there and just a little beyond.

dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • The weather today was nice enough to get the new sails up. The hulls are really dark blue, it is our lovely gray sky that makes them look so dark. But Tangerine comes through really well.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=125973&g2_serialNumber=4

Just a few more little details including the new vinyl lettering to go.

dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • Another angle.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=125977&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • dmgbear55Another angle.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=125977&g2_serialNumber=4

boat and sails look great
  • QuoteMy only advice is to put some clear tape where the spreaders hit right away. I waited too long but clear gorilla tape has been great.

I would suggest a product made with UV block - gorilla tape is great in a bind, but it will yellow (and degrade) with UV exposure

they make and sell products for sail to help reduce chaffe
    http://www.murrays.com/07-1510.html or you can get some put on by just about any sail loft

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.