Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Flipping a Hobie 16 over for bottom job  Bottom

• Any tricks to flipping over a Hobie 16, or any cat I guess, to do a bottom job. I am going to do it in a warehouse with concrete floors, if I was on sand or grass I probably wouldn't worry as much
  • I have flipped Hobie 16s plenty of times, and not worried about it...well without the mast and on a concrete floor, not so much. You need to prevent scratches by putting something under the hull bearing the weight, and be able to slow the momentum once it tips. Wish I could help, but I always disassemble the tramp and crossbar assembly on the NACRA.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • It's best if you can put down some pieces of carpet under the hulls to prevent scratching, although if you're doing a bottom job anyway, maybe it doesn't really matter...

You will want to have some blocks that can be placed under the tramp frame to keep the overturned boat up off the ground and well supported. You need at least two people to flip the boat over safely, but having more hands will make the job even easier.

sm
  • I would suggest big blocks of Styrofoam. They will adsorb the point load better than something hard but not let the force come like something soft. We use them when flipping delicate scenery on stage so as to protect the good side.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • An old mattress would do also.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • When I did mine (in the yard), I didn't even remove the shrouds and trap wires. I just placed the mast/wires where they would sit between the siderail and hull as I "rolled" the boat over them. Other than that, I just used some wood (4x4?) blocks to keep the jib/main cleats, etc. elevated above the ground. Wouldn't attempt it solo on concrete, but I actually did mine by myself. Lifted it up to the balance point (where it was surprisingly stable), held the dolphin striker as I stepped over the hull, then lowered her down.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.