Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New here: Which boat??  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hey guys. New here from Harlingen, Tx. I have a shallow bay(lower laguna madre) that is huge and beautiful and am looking for a new hobby to get my wife and children into. I have four kids but I only see two of them sailing with me and my wife anytime soon.

Total weight will be 300-400#. I'm not looking for a spirited sail but more for a leisurely pace in some very shallow water so we can explore the bay.

My budget right now is set to $2k.

It needs to be easy to solo setup/right/etc. My wife is 100# soaking wet so I'm not sure how much help she will be physical wise.

My experience is limited to sailing a handful of times on a Sunfish, Nacra 5.0, and Wave. I'd buy a Wave if I could but I can't find one in budget. I'm strongly considering an H16, due to price and availability, but I have no experience with them. If I have to sacrifice anything it would be performance. I am going the cat route because I need a shallow draft.

Thank you all for the help!
  • Hobie Getaway meets your criteria except price will be higher

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Also, there is a Supercat 17 in Houston. It's in the classifieds here and on Craigslist. SC is a great boat. You may have to negotiate a bit to get your price but it should work for you

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • There is a Prindle 18 south of Victoria for sale, says it's ready to sail for $1000. Would be nice to go under budget and have money left for replacing a few things. Look for it in Houston craigslist.
  • Thank you guys. I've seen those ads but I've had a number of bad experiences trying to purchase things that are a half-days drive away...either with wrong descriptions of items or with trailers not making the trip...I'd prefer to stay as north as San Antonio/Rockport.

My wife really likes the Bravo because of the ease of setup. I understand it'd basically be a cramped 2 adult boat and would probably work for me and my sons while they are still little..Any thoughts on that? A completely different angle but I think a smaller, easier to setup boat would be used a lot more.
  • 2 adults is pretty tight on a Bravo but I've done it, forget bringing a picnic though. A great boat for kids to grow up with for sure. Unstayed uni-rig is super simple and getting it on and off the beach is a breeze. They are super durable. Not much boat though as you know, doesnt have that beachcat beam that is so comfy.

Id keep up the hunt for the best condition boat in your area and price point. In my area you can have the pick of the litter on a Hobie 16 for 2k, but any 16-18 foot Hobie, Prindle, Nacra in decent shape will suit you if you decide the Bravo isn't enough. I'd stay away from any models with dagger boards since you are dealing with super shallow water and passengers, one less headache
  • I agree with the above post except one thing. Nacras are more difficult to step the mast than other boats and I'm a Nacra guy. That's why I like the SC 17. Must easier to set up than a nacra

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Any skeg-hull boat without centerboards is going to be easier for solo handling. H-16 or Prindle 16 are great cats, and $2K should get you a pretty nice one. Moving up, you could get a NACRA 5.7 or 5.5, and I'm sure the gurus on the forum will come up with some other ideas.

Fall prices should be lower, and consider if you need a trailer which should add a bit to the value. I just dumped over $600 on beach wheels (Cat Trax) which are essential to avoid damaging the hulls. Not to many of us can lift these boats up the beach, so consider the inclusion of good accessories, extra sails and a trailer as a huge bonus.

At $2K you may find boats that need some reconditioning of the hulls, sails, trampoline and auxiliary gear. Many of us are using boats over 30 years old. Good condition doesn't just happen without some care and investment. There are some very nice boats in your price range, but if you narrow down the models you're willing to consider, or underestimate the value of condition and accessories, the pickings get a bit more scarce.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Welcome neighbor! I live near South Padre and just picked up a Prindle 18. I was looking for a boat with the exact same things in mind. Actually, I also wanted a boat with wings, but for the price I couldn't pass on this Prindle. Besides, I'm just getting back into sailing after about 15 years, and a cheap boat makes every ding a lot easier to swallow.

I have taken the boat out once so far, and it really seems to fit the bill as far as ease of use along with weight carrying capacity. I had myself (180lbs) and a friend (6'5" 240lbs) on the boat without issue and easily could have had another adult on board. I would look into the Prindle in Victoria. In my opinion a Hobie 16 wouldn't carry the weight you want. Also use www.searchtempest.com. Check it frequently and you could come across a real gem.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • If you do find a boat that seems too far away to look at, I think there are lots of folks on here that would be willing to look at boats in their area and give you an honest unbiased evaluation.

i bought my Nacra sight unseen and drove 5 hours to pick it up. But I had good references from third parties on the boat and the guy. The boat worked out great and I made a new friend in the process. (Although he kicked my butt all weekend at Juana's regatta).

I guess my point is that it's really a pretty small community and somebody knows everybody

--
    Tim
    Hobie monocat--given
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • QuoteMy wife really likes the Bravo because of the ease of setup. I understand it'd basically be a cramped 2 adult boat and would probably work for me and my sons while they are still little..Any thoughts on that? A completely different angle but I think a smaller, easier to setup boat woul

Do you mean the Bravo, or the Wave,(you were talking about a Wave earlier).
    The Hobie dealer tried to talk me into a Bravo a number of years ago. They are a kids boat. No matter who was sailing, it was not as fast a my Invitation,(laser type hull, but much bigger cockpit). Two adults will almost sink it, and the very narrow width is not just cramped, think sardines. Your kids will not grow into it, they will grow out of it, & so will you, very quickly. The Wave is a HUGE upgrade, & still easy to setup/right if you flip it. The Wave can be quite a lot of fun with 2 smaller adults & 20 mph wind. Last summer I came across a Wave with 6 kids on it, not breaking records, but they had fun.
    You have sailed a nearly perfect boat for your conditions,(N5.0), but it entails more work to setup, how ever, you can carry 400lbs on that boat. It will carry the weight much better than the smallish hulls of the H16.
    Reading between the lines, petite,possibly nervous wife, small kids, very shallow,...I'd go for the Wave. Tough, easy to right, comes with mast float, so you won't stick it in the mud. It won't be long before kids can take it out themselves, or your wife & kids. They use a very simple rig, & they are common boats. Keep you feelers out, one will come up. It will also be easy to sell if you decide sailing is not your thing. Resist the urge to get an $800 boat, unless you know for sure it is solid. Those deals have a nasty habit of needing a bunch of bits & pieces, that soon add up to another $1500.
    I think the ideal boat for your lake is a Nacra 5.7, BUT, it sounds like to much setup, harder to right, and $.

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 12, 2016 - 04:32 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Where the OP sails is a large shallow bay, not a lake. A Nacra 5.7 would be awesome! I wanted one, but the only one I found was more than I wanted to spend. Although, like you said it may be too much boat for his situation.

Here are a couple I found real quick.
    http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5754733340.html
    http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5724577788.html
    http://victoriatx.craigslist.org/boa/5753404290.html

I want this one, but it's out of my price range this year.
    http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5695112225.html

Edited by chump23 on Sep 12, 2016 - 05:58 PM.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • Hey Chump23! Finally have a chance to talk with a local sailor. Why isn't sailing popular here anymore?! My dad grew up here and said it was pretty popular in the 70s and 80s. If you don't mind keeping me in your thoughts if you ever see a similar boat up for sale locally, I'd really appreciate it. I check craigslist and Sailing Texas several times per day hoping something will come up from here to Rockport(could do that after work sometime easily).

I'm eyeing several boats in Houston right now and called on a few. Finding the time to drive up there is the problem. Tnell, thank you for the advice on getting local help for a boat look over. Had a really bad experience about 5 years ago with a boat in Marble Falls that wasn't even the same as the pictures that were sent....

Edchris177...I truly want a Wave...if I had my pick anyway. I sailed one in the Caribbean this summer and loved it. They seem to be really hard to find and go at a premium compared to their fiberglass counterparts(and even the getaway it seems). I have never seen a Bravo personally so thank you for the heads up. I owned the Nacra when my oldest was 1. So sailing was completely solo then. Setup/takedown was rough and having another activity that put time away from my family is something I've always tried to stay away from. Now my kids are getting older and I can enjoy these same activities with them..it's awesome and I wish I still had it!

Great advice and information guys. Thank you guys.
  • gbyrd, to answer your question about why sailing isn't popular anymore, I think there are a couple of factors. The development and popularity of shallow water fishing boats, windsurfing, and now kiteboarding has taken from the pool of people interested in the water. Also, people aren't willing to park their boats on the beach anymore because dumbasses like to jump on the tramps and generally destroy what isn't theirs.

That being said, there is just a general lack of interest by young people today. I grew up sailing on the island as a kid, and now that my kids are old enough to enjoy it I'd like to teach them too. Hopefully, we can get some younger people interested and out on the water.

I'll keep an eye out for boats for you. I know there are lots of Hobie 16's around, but that isn't what I wanted and I don't think it is what you would want either. I will say, I didn't like the look of Prindles and thought they looked very dated. However, after taking mine out, they seem to carry weight very well, are relatively easy, and have a glowing reputation among cat sailors. Just do a search on this site! I would look into the Prindle 18 in Victoria if I were you.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • My brother in law lives on Baffin Bay and has a Prindle 16 he's thinking about selling. We've sailed several different types of cats on the bay and the prindle is a good solid boat for the shallow bay. Doesn't pitchpole quite as easy as a Hobie 16 and you don't have to worry about daggerboards like you do on some of the bigger boats.

If you're interested, I can get you his contact info.

--
    Kirk
    1985 Hobie 18
    1992 Hobie 20
    Bandera TX
    --
  • Here's a sweet ride... if you have the coin.

http://galveston.craigslist.org/boa/5717105409.html

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • Dkmcmullan, that'd be great. Do we have a PM kinda thing with this site? . My work schedule kind of sucks so please let him know to leave a message or text me and Ill call him back as soon as I'm able. Thank you for looking out for me!

Edited by gbyrd on Sep 14, 2016 - 12:58 AM.
  • QuoteDkmcmullan, that'd be great. Do we have a PM kinda thing with this site? You can give him my number 956-893-3262. My work schedule kind of sucks so please let him know to leave a message or text me and Ill call him back as soon as I'm able. Thank you for looking out for me!

Press the little icon just below where it lists # of posts. That will get you to PM.
    I would not post my phone # on the public forum, attracts trolls.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thank you for the heads up.
  • Of the boats that people have posted, the Prindle 19 is probably the best of the bunch; the Hobie 21 is WAY overpriced.

If you're sailing in a shallow bay area, a skeg boat would be good, but you'll lose a lot of performance compared to a boat with boards. That said, remember that all boards are not equal; a Prindle 18-2 or 19 has centerboards which are great for shallow water. The Nacra 5.2(?), 5.5 and 6.0 as well as Hobie 18 and 20 have daggerboards and are less forgiving when running aground.

As someone new to sailing, get a boat that is simple and easy to setup; avoid the Hobie 21 as it's too heavy and hard to deal with.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.