Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sheared stud on H18 wing mount.  Bottom

• Slightly over 30mph is too much wind!
    Got caught 15 miles from home when it really started to blow. Weather buoy showed 31mph. The waves really stacked, & in conjunction with the wind shift in the morning, made for ugly seas. We turtled both the 5.0 & H18. Semi P poled the 18, couldn't recover as it rolled on its side. We both lept clear, but it turtled in a few seconds. Didn't see how the 5.0 went over, but there we were, the entire fleet upside down a couple hundred yards apart. The Nacra was solo recovered easily, just by sitting on the upturned lee bow, then solo righted without any aids...big wind can be your friend!
    For the 18, we had to put the righting line over, & both of us hike to get it back on its side. I couldn't quite solo right it, needed crew to also hike.
    During the rough ride I snapped the rear stud on one of the wings.
    Am i correct in thinking i have to undo the tramp & remove the rear beam to get that little bar,(that the stud threads into), out of the tramp track?
    Local Hobie dealer has the stud, but they seemed unsure about the bar it threads into. In case i can't drill the broken piece out of the bar, does anyone know a part # for it?
    The Parts sheet shows a complete kit, with the bar in the diagram, but only lists the contents as 2 washers, 2 nuts, & stud. Can't find a part # for the bar.

PS- It's hard to set a speed record in that rough of water. The best I recorded was 21mph. The H18 seems to ride lower than the Nacra. The wings/front beam were constantly bashing into the waves, even when the boat was level. My buddy said it looked way wetter than he was experiencing. The GPS track showed faster speeds once we got around the point, & out of the 35 mile fetch.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • sorry to hear about the bolt -

Bet you felt VERY alive after all that!

Edited by MN3 on Aug 22, 2016 - 01:11 PM.
  • The bars only come off if you take off the end cap of the beam so yea probably have to remove the beam. I actually have 2 of those bar mounts that I found in my boat when I got it. If you pay for shipping I'll send you one. Don't know what the dealer was charging you.
  • Ed do you have the riveted plates on the beams or just the bolt directly into the beam track?

This might be a good opportunity to upgrade the whole (weak) attachment with the SX style plates.

Using the old Magnum connection method I've broken several of those bolts and also had damage to the beam where the bolt inserted when they got loose and wallowed around. Had a wing come unbolted while trailering that caused some excitement.

Glad you got back safely from the big wind.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Quote I actually have 2 of those bar mounts that I found in my boat when I got it. If you pay for shipping I'll send you one.

Thanks much, I took it apart today, & the stud didn't break, just badly bent, but it ripped out of the bar mount, so I'll have to get one.
    My neighbor will be down at his place near Tampa next month, I'll PM you his addy & make arrangements for some cash.
    QuoteEd do you have the riveted plates on the beams or just the bolt directly into the beam track?

It's the old style, directly into that short bar that sits in the track. I was looking at those upgrade plates, looks like a simple mod.
    We got back, wrecked the jib halyard on the 5.0. I think the mast banged round hard enough it also pulled more tension on the jib halyard. The line casing was stripped off the core, & the shackle was nowhere to be seen. Had to jury rig that so it wouldn't flog to death.
    I pushed one batten through the pocket, but at least I didn't lose the batten.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • [quote=Edchris177]
    Thanks much, I took it apart today, & the stud didn't break, just badly bent, but it ripped out of the bar mount, so I'll have to get one.
    My neighbor will be down at his place near Tampa next month, I'll PM you his addy & make arrangements for some cash.

Cool yea just let me know.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.