Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How often do you wash and dry your sails?  Bottom

• I have the 2nd story balcony/ sail drying rack. I wash mine each sail
  • Why?
  • If I think my sails are dirty, I flip my boat.
    That's the only reason I've ever flipped.
    That's my story, & I'm sticking to it!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • ^ Hahaha, that's awesome!!!!!

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Ive done it once and only spot stain removal

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Acetone... Buckets and buckets of acetone will get the job done

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I think the need to wash sails depends a lot on whether or not you are sailing in saltwater or not. In saltwater the Dacron sails will get crusty and slightly discolored. I'm with edchrist on the solution, just flip the boat in a freshwater lake once in a while, or if that isn't an option then hose them off in the yard.

dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • Biggest issue with salt water is that your aluminum fittings will corrode over time. If the sails are put away damp with salt water on them, it will accelerate corrosion. Ususally if you just make sure they're dry before you roll them up, you will be OK. Maybe rinse them off and scrub the fittings at the end of each season.

The problem with rinsing them off all the time (aside from taking up a lot of space and time) is that if they are damp, the sails will mildew. Mildew grows in a fresh water environment, but not in brackish/salt water.

Bottom line, making sure your sails are totally dry before storing them is the most important thing.

sm
  • The season out here in San Diego is all year. I sail only in saltwater. so I rinse and hang over the balcony. It works great for a sail drying rack. I forgot you a lot of you guys are out east or down south.
  • I hang them on the clothesline along with the rest of the gear and hose off the lot after every trip. I hose down the boat, and trailer also. I get so much ramp rash that I only scrub the hulls once in a while.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • I sail in saltwater 100%

Unless i flip in salt water .... i don't really rinse them too often

I am not so great at letting my sails dry as i come off the beach, roll em up and put em in the box for tomorrows sail. by the time it's sunday night and i have taken my mast down, drive home, wash the boat and trailer, push the beast into the back yard, shower, walk dog, eat.... there is no freakin way im going under my boat, pulling out my main/jib/spin and washing them

IF i do flip, or they just need it bad...
    I will tie up my main (clew) to a block i have in a palm tree (up high) - and tie to my fence 35' away and hose away, hope the wind doesn' kick up and let em dry for a few hours.

occasionally i put my jib or spin in the shower for a rise
  • JohnESAcetone... Buckets and buckets of acetone will get the job done

I wonder how many members here remember what that refers to?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Being new here, I was wondering why the heck would you want to put acetone on your sails????

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Some people have a sense of humor...if you take the use of acetone as advise and not humor, you will have some large holes to fill.

In many years of ownership, my sails have stayed clean and fairly crisp. You can make sales look and feel like new by having them professionally cleaned and the Dacron coating re-applied by a sail shop. It's much less expensive than new sails, which is what you'll need if you use acetone.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • DamonLinkous
    JohnESAcetone... Buckets and buckets of acetone will get the job done

I wonder how many members here remember what that refers to?

Ahhhhh.. the good old days... you remember, being able to trap out for hours on end! icon_cool

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I had my boat mast up on the beach at Kitty Hawk for a week last summer. It was caked with salt at the end of the week. It required an extensive hose down. The biggest problem I have with the sails is salt getting under the metal plates for the clew and head. The previous owner did not attend to this. I had to replace the headboard entirely and re rivet the clew plate. Using stainless rivets in the stainless clew plate eliminated the corrosion problem there.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • I use muriatic acid once a week for extra brightness. It's also handy as an annual toilet bowl cleaner for rental properites. icon_lol

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • I'll stick with white vinegar for the boat. If you have galvanized iron drain pipes that acid can make for an interesting day.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • QuoteI wonder how many members here remember what that refers to?

I first saw that as a link, here on TheBeachCats. You should repost it

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.