Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New-to-me Hobie 14 in Winnipeg  Bottom

• I've been lurking here for a few months and now that it appears I know a few people I might as well introduce myself.

I started sailing last year, with an old Hobie Monocat. As much fun as she's been I wanted something more. I recently went on a road trip to Wisconsin and came back with a 1976 Hobie 14 with jib. 1100 miles in just over 48 hours while trying to outrun severe weather in both directions kept things from getting boring.

The fellow I bought it from included all the paperwork he got with it, including the original "contents checked by" form signed by "Rosa". Mid 70's advertising pamphlets and other goodies were in there too. His sale receipt listed the boat as rebuilt in 2006. He had a new tramp he hadn't put on, trapeze harness and other bonus items. We crossed the border into Canada with no problem and the boat is about to learn what winter really is now that she's in Manitoba.

Now that I have the boat, I need to learn a lot more. I've recently been introduced to Dave (Wolfman) who was able to get her re-rigged with parts and pieces from the bottomless spare parts bins. (A huge thanks to you for that!) Most of what I learned on the Monocat was by trail and error and probably sheer dumb luck got me home. I'm looking forward to taking her out next weekend and seeing what she is all about!

I'm off to read the archives...

--
    14' Hobie Turbo ('76), "Highwind"
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    --
  • Congrats! My main ride is a H16, but I'm partners with my daughter in an "original" H14T as well. It's a great little boat for her, and I have a blast on it when it's blowing stink! I say "original" because it was built as a Turbo from the factory. There were several different aftermarket kits made to convert the uni H14 to a Turbo...Hobie even sold one that was different than the "original." Some even had a separate forestay so the jib could be removed without dropping the mast. Just wanted to make you aware of this in case you read some advice out there that doesn't make sense with regard to your particular boat. And FYI....Hobie USA has a forum specific to the H14/H14T here: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=17

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Haha, I converted another one! The second this year alone. Our international agenda of multihull domination is well on its way! :)

Jerome, her boat is a 1976 with aftermarket turbo with trapeze (no furler), however, they never installed a dolphinstriker. Fortunately they didn't fold it up in a blow. Thanks to Pete Begle for providing the part I needed for that. Going to be installing it next weekend.

The boat itself is in great shape with solid hulls that were recoated in 2007. Probably hasn't seen any sailing since that time. Came with a new tramp in package and trapeze harness. So for the price paid, basically she bought a tramp and harness and the boat and trailer were free. Plus the cost of the road trip.

Already replaced the running rigging and am just waiting for a package of wires to replace the rest. Sails are old and blown out but no rips and should last a few years still. Its going to be a sweet little ride when we are done!

Any bits of advice for tuning and sailing her will be much appreciated by Julie who is a fairly new sailor but is generally an adventurer!

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Sounds nice!

There's a ton of info out there about tuning the uni H14, but not so much on the H14T. We basically tune and sail it the same as the H16. To step the mast we have to loosen the shrouds, but we tighten her back up after it's stepped. (They run loose rigs and some even have mast rake adjustment lines on the unis.) And with the jib we broad reach to go downwind, whereas the unis do better going DDW. With the low hull volume (especially in the bows), I have to be careful of where I put my 185 lb. self, but the boat actually handles my weight surprisingly well. I can fly a hull, trap out, and even do screaming beam reaches on it. (In order to get my weight far enough back for the beam reaches, I put my front foot on the rear corner casting and my back foot on the deck near the rudder where I've placed some nonskid tape.)

The only thing that surprised me about the boat in a negative way is that, when capsized, it tends to want to go turtle quicker and more often than any other beachcat I've sailed on. I can't explain why....something about the beam/mast geometry and/or mast weight/displacement? In that regard, I'd recommend that y'all make darn sure the mast is empty and well sealed. (There should be foam plugs just above the base and just below the head.....might want to remove/replace, inspect and/or reseal as necessary.) When we first got ours, my daughter was too small to right it by herself, so, after she stuck the mast in the goo at the bottom of our local ( somewhat shallow) reservoir a couple of times, I went ahead and put a Baby Bob on the little bugger (the boat, not my daughter!).

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Thanks Jerome!

It actually came with a baby bob installed.

I was thinking of installing a near transom footstrap anyway, given the propensity to pitchpole.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • I'm beginning to realize how much the unadvertised extras are worth. Between the spare tramp and the baby Bob alone. The past owner tells me he didn't even try on the harness, "that's for crazy people". I tried it on and it fits without adjusting it at all.

Can't wait to get her or on the water, I'm stuck at work while she's out at the lake. The waiting may kill me!

--
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    --
  • QuoteHaha, I converted another one! The second this year alone. Our international agenda of multihull domination is well on its way! :)

When I first brought my N5.7 to this part of the lake, it was the only Cat. Now there are 6, & the Ex Canadian waterski champ is also picking up an H16.
    He said he got tired of watching us play when it was to windy for good skiing.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I had a H14 when I was a teenager many many moons ago. I loved that boat, used to flip it often but it sure was a lot of fun. Happy sailing with your H14, with the turbo additions I'm sure you will have a blast.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • I'm wondering if this is part of the cat conspiracy or the cat agenda. ;)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • A couple of more tips on the H14T:

1. We are religious about removing the drain plugs for draining/ventilation after each sail, and I also insist on using spring clips in the bottom holes of the rudder pins to prevent losing the whole rudder assembly in the event of a turtle (unlikely, I know, but possible). The problem with the stock rudder pins is that they are so long, even when pushed up as far as they will go, they interfere with removal of the plugs since the H14 transoms are so short (the lower gudgeon is really close to the drain hole). I drilled new bottom holes for the spring clips in the rudder pins just below the lower gudgeon and cut off the excess rudder pin below these holes. It was an easy fix (I use aluminum pins), and now the drain plugs are easily removed/replaced. I know this doesn't sound like much, but it really was a PITA before this fix.

2. If you weigh 185 lbs. and have 30 year old plastic rudders, you are apt to break the leeward one off right at the waterline when you push the boat hard on a trapped out beam reach. icon_smile

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • @rattlenhum, I have new rudder pins on order. I think they will be trimmed before they hit the water especially if it will save me a headache or two. New plugs are on their way too.

I have yet to experience trapping, but if you continue to break them and want to replace them in pairs, feel free to send you spares up north. ;)

--
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    --
  • WolfmanI'm wondering if this is part of the cat conspiracy or the cat agenda. ;)

It's definititely not a conspiracy. Conspiracies involve secret plans to do something harmful. While the man did not know I was leaving the country and coming home with a cat, getting a new boat can not under any circumstance be considered harmful. heiligenschein

--
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    --
  • squirrel67I've been lurking here for a few months and now that it appears I know a few people I might as well introduce myself.

Welcome aboard squirrel!
    squirrel67
    The fellow I bought it from included all the paperwork he got with it, including the original "contents checked by" form signed by "Rosa". Mid 70's advertising pamphlets and other goodies were in there too.

I'd like to see that stuff, I've always tried to archive scans of the classic sales sheets and advertising.

If you have a way of scanning them it would be a nice addition to the Hobie 14 album http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures?g2_itemId=86999 all we have is the original assembly manual.

Here's a Hobie 14 Tuning Guide that might have some info you can use although it's not for the Turbo.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/news/84

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • @DamonLinkous I can scan all the bits and either email them to you or add them to the album if anyone can edit it.

--
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    --
  • Much thanks to Wolfman for tweaking her into an almost different boat! The swapped out parts list keeps growing and she's going to be in fine sailing shape soon. woohoo

--
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.