Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 bridle to forestay connector and tamp failure  Bottom

• Hi all, I'm new to the forum and to prindle ownership though I have sailed hobies and prindles before. Took my recently purchased prindle 16 out for its second sail and two things failed. First was the connector between the two bridle wires and the forestay (I can't find the part or the name on any website or manual). One side of it snapped leaving the forestay and the mast under load attached only by one bridle cable. Any ideas on a fix or new part? Can't find it on Murphys.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=124062&g2_serialNumber=4
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=124054&g2_serialNumber=4http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=124049&g2_serialNumber=4

Second, while trying to get the sails down with the above situation, the stitching on the tramp began to break along the forward wdge. At the point, is it worth taking the whole tramp off and seeing in a local Jacksonville FL sail repair shop can reenforce all the stitching or just go ahead and replace? Anyone with prior experience with tramp stitch repairs that could weigh in?
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=124066&g2_serialNumber=4
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=124058&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by nate07 on Aug 01, 2016 - 04:05 PM.
  • I had a Supercat tramp repaired once for the same reason. If the tramp is otherwise in good shape and the shop is fair, repair is a good option.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • I'd offer to weld up that fitting but would not want to be responsible for a structural part like that. Any welder is probably going to charge 50 bucks or so to do that part so getting a new one might be the best bet and would probably be stronger than a repair. If you call murrays I'd be surprised if they can't track down the part. Those guys have always been pretty helpful when I talk to them.

The tramp can be hand/machine sewn up pretty easily even by hand if you get the UV resistant thread from sailrite. I'd bet any shop could handle that if you aren't much of a DIYer.
  • I am not familiar with the Prindle 16 but can't you just shackle the bridles together?

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Thanks for the thoughts, I called Murrays and they were equally amazed at this product- they don't have anything like it. I'm beginning to think a previous owner manufactured it...haha! How does everyone else connect their two bridles to the forestay turnbuckle? Just a single shackle for all 3?

As for the tramp, I think I'll try taking it over for repair at a local sail/canvas repair shop. Any particular thread I should be asking for or looking for?

Thanks for all the help!

--
    Nathan
    Jacksonville, FL
    Prindle 16
    --
  • Yes, a single 1/4" shackle ! Always amazes me the engineering skills of previous owners. Pete
  • From all accounts, teflon thread (e.g., Dupont's Tenara) is the way to go these days. It ain't cheap, but it supposedly lasts. I haven't seen it available in small quantities, though.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • nate07they don't have anything like it.

It may have been the base connection to a jib furler.

Take your tramp to someone who knows what a catamaran is.
    There are areas you want five rows of stitching on, and Tenara thread is an extra $40 but well worth it.
    Your tramp looks like it might have been resewn already.
    An experienced person can tell you if the Tenara is worth it on your tramp.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Thanks so much for the help.

--
    Nathan
    Jacksonville, FL
    Prindle 16
    --
  • I know this is an old thread but I have never seen that bridle part on a Prindle before looks like someone did a little back yard reworking of the forestay and connections. Or pulled them off a different boat altogether.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.