Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

The West Marine/ WalMart rant  Bottom

• I apologize to windwardde for my part in the level his thread "winching a cat up the beach - on beach wheels" descended to.
    The Technical Forum is not the place to tee off on a particular retailer.
    Walmart, in my opinion, has reprehensible labor relations. Their bottom feeding purchasing policies drive manufacturing overseas. Their big box stores "out on the bypass" have hollowed out many a small town Main Street.
    West Marine isn't great. They charge list,the sailing aisles at my local store are sparsely stocked. Some of the staff leaves a lot to be desired. Some are quite helpful. Heather, at their 800 special orders went out of her way to get me the part I needed and price matched it.They are 15 minutes away when I need it today. A brick and mortar store cost to maintain.
    I have performed many a web search only to have shipping cost make the price difference a wash.
    Wanna tee off? Tee off here. GH

Edited by gahamby on Jul 26, 2016 - 02:20 PM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • www.overtons.com has free shipping and price matching, plus 15% with their "summer15" promo code that is on their homepage currently

I saved over $40 yesterday on 3 bottles of West Sytem six10 adhesive, and a small 105 and 206 epoxy at overtons compared to west marine prices
  • Quote They charge list,the sailing aisles at my local store are sparsely stocked.

More than List imho. The products i have recently compared (poly rollers, epoxy, glass cloth, 610 adhesive) were all 30-75% above other retailers rates (poly rollers were around 75% higher than other retailers).

QuoteSome of the staff leaves a lot to be desired.

Kid at the cash register on sat was down right rude. when people walk in he didn't look at them and said in the most mono-tone, unauthentic voice, "hi". I didn't even know he was talking to me when he said it to me.
    I almost questioned him why he was working in retail when he obviously didn't want to be there, but decided I needed no explanation, didn't care and probably wouldn't be back for some time.

QuoteSome are quite helpful. Heather, at their 800 special orders went out of her way to get me the part I needed and price matched it.

When i told a store manager they had incorrectly priced my purchase of sailing gloves (in the past) the manager said "nothing i can do about it"

QuoteThey are 15 minutes away when I need it today. A brick and mortar store cost to maintain.

IMHO this is their only redeeming quality - they are local and IF i need something i can't wait on ... they are down the street. But just about every time i walk in there, i am disgusted by their selection and price and vow to avoid at all costs.

Yes i get that it is expensive to have a brick and mortar location - and most marine retailers fail. there is a reason why the fail beyond rent (i.e. poor management, weak staff, overstocking expensive products that dont sell and people don't want, overpricing themselves out of the industry)

Edited by MN3 on Jul 26, 2016 - 02:36 PM.
  • No sense on ranting about either of these as they are not specialized for our discipline of sailing... Over the years they have developed inventory models that are going to work for them and make that location profitable.. Sadly motorboat owners with big wallets are who I feel they cater too and rightfully so, I have seen some of those guys drop some large coin there.

For me I am fortunate to have Murrays right in my back yard, but they don't always have some of my items... for that there is APS, eBay and Amazon... If I don't need to try it on, most of my boat purchase are online... order Monday and have it Friday.

West Marine for me is a last resort for something that will keep me off the water that day...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I love Back Yard Boats! Outstanding customer service!

I only use West Marine when I have to, just too expensive and very very little selection for our type of sailing. But our little WM does have good customer service, we must be the exception.

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • QuoteBut our little WM does have good customer service, we must be the exception.

I have had poor service from a few employees (managers who wont fix prices and very young employees who looked like the woudl rather be having teeth pulled) but on the whole, they are typically friendly and try to be helpful
  • Oh, and just as a positive note:
    I ordered from OVertons.com on monday morning. 6 containers of west System (4 glue, 2 epoxy)
    free shipping, saved around $40 off west marine rates
    arrived in 48 hours - they rock!
  • http://www.thegpsstore.co…nU0pruoM4CFcVahgodlVUJUw
    This beats WM's sale price of of $199.00 by about $30

Edited by gahamby on Aug 01, 2016 - 05:27 PM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • In my recent refinishing of the NACRA 5.7, I bought Interlux perfection from Discount Marine at $61.93 per quart, and Primekote gallon for 93.52 with free shipping over $100. The same materials from Overtons was $84.99 and $129.00. I received my shipments within 3 business days. I had made the mistake last Fall of buying my West Systems epoxy from the store, so grossly overpaid. I was quite satisfied with my purchases from Discount Marine. I mistakenly bought 333 thinner rather than 2333, and didn't attempt to return. It might be interesting, but I think return shipping would eat up any refund.

I just bought Cat Trax from Backyard Boats. They called to verify my order and Jay checked with Florida Sailcraft which axle length would work for the 5.7. The wheels were drop shipped directly to me, and should arrive on Tuesday PM. The cost was $459 + $60 shipping. Apparently there was a mix-up and Florida Sailcraft sent cradles which I didn't order. Jay is giving me the option to keep them at $120, or return them and he will pick up shipping. Overall, I saved only $20 compared to Murrays including shipping, unless I keep the cradles, in which case the savings go to about $60. Damn these things are expensive, but I can't drag that fresh boat over the gravel beach. Bottom line is this is good customer service and a fair price!

Edited by tominpa on Aug 21, 2016 - 08:33 PM.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • The cradles are expensive, too, but they sure are nice! The boat tends to stay where it's put on the cradles instead of having the wheels roll back and forth with the slightest tilt. On my H16, the balance point is a foot or so behind the shroud, so they make life much easier.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • The only time I ever used beach wheels since 1986 when I got this boat, was an open class race from Sandusky Bay to Put-in-Bay Island. The boats were transported by Beach Wheels to the park where we camped. The 5.7 as always been unwieldy on the beach, and I have had to routinely repair the bottoms. I'm looking forward to the beach wheels, and will probably keep the cradles, although I'm kinda fond of my "Cheap Bastards Club" (CBC) standing for the past 30 years...currently seems like a false economy.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I'd definitely keep the cradles. Make sure they have carpet on them to protect your hulls, and you'll love how they stick in place while you're rolling her around.

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • I may be the only one here, but I like my West Marine store.

Sure its a little more expensive, but they often have what I need on the shelf. That can make or break a days sailing or kill a regatta. Many times I would have been screwed if I had to wait on mail order parts.

Nobody likes to pay more money, but I will support the stores that are willing to have locations that stock these items. I also try to support businesses that support regattas local to me. West Marine, APS, Zhik fit this bill as well. I do not always get the best prices, but I feel is very important to support those who are supporting us. If we send all of our money to the cheapest place we can find online, Stores like West Marine, APS and Zhik close. That ends our local options and our regatta support.

I realized I have left out many businesses who support catamaran sailing, but the idea is to look at who is sponsoring your regattas or donating raffle items. They may be very different names than what I mentioned, but try to throw some business their way.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • QuoteI'm looking forward to the beach wheels, and will probably keep the cradles, although I'm kinda fond of my "Cheap Bastards Club" (CBC) standing for the past 30 years...currently seems like a false economy.

I carry a CBC card as well, but loosen up a little with regard to the boat. My H16 and accessories are worth a lot more than my truck and three cars combined!!! I probably never would have bought them separately, but my cat trax and cradles came with my boat purchase. I use them at my local club.....much easier than using the trailer......and sail/race on the Gulf Coast at least 4 or 5 times a year. Can't beat 'em for soft sand.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Anything that makes it easier to get on the water is worth some serious money. I launch in some difficult places and using 2 sets of wheels, one with cradles, makes life grand.

As far as West Marine, I try to support local brick and mortar stores and I'm not one to go online just to save a dollar or two. However things like rope/shackles/pins are almost double in cost what I'm use to paying and that is too much. I agree they have kept me on the water more than one weekend and that alone may be worth it

Edited by jalex on Aug 23, 2016 - 08:02 PM.
  • West Marine stores never has rope for small cat sailors. All they have is the big honkin' sizes. I always have to buy my rope from the WM website. Yes, it is still pricey but customer service is always consistent.
  • I have been buying lines from Sail Care, Inc, which is near me in Ford City PA. It's a bit more expensive, but they have it in-stock and I appreciate having a sailing vendor nearby. They aren't bad for sail repairs either. I got a new luff sewn onto my sails and a zipper on the jib, and it is like new.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.