Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

double stacking wave and H18 with wings  Bottom

• Does anyone know of a good way to double stack a wave and H18 with SX wings? I'm looking to expand my fleet with a kid boat and looking for any clever ideas. Right now I'm leaning towards getting the wave classic (with the wire tensioned tramp), disassembling it, and putting the hulls between the wings. I just can't see a way to leave the wave assembled.

Thanks,
    Eric
    H18
    SC20
    wave (soon? icon_smile )
  • might ask on the hobie forums
    or the "other" cat site (catsailor.com) as lots of those guys at catsailor double stack
  • Thanks. I had posted the question on the hobie forum but was trying to avoid spamming all the sites with the same question. I gave up and just posted on catsailor. :)
  • this is what you need
    http://www.trailershopper.com/files/62479.jpg
  • I don't think it can be done if your intention is to keep the wings installed and keep the Wave assembled. Removing the wings only requires that you undo the four nuts that hold the wings to the crossbar studs, so that would be the easiest route. Then you could sit the Wave on top of the 18 and either strap the wings down flat onto one of the boats or to the trailer under the boats.

sm
  • I have friends that have double stacked with wings, very quickly the wings stopped coming. I don't know why, but somehow removing wings is harder than it appears. Maybe it is the how to trailer them disconnected, maybe it is because it realistically takes 2 people to attach them? I don't know... But I know their wings stayed in the garage. I'd actually prefer taking the wave apart, and that makes no sense. But that is my plan if I can't figure it out.

Maybe I just need to come up with a good way to store the wings on the trailer?

MN3, that is an awesome picture, I wonder how they get the boat up there. I'm a sucker for cool trailers.
  • what about stacking the wave on the bottom and your h18 on top? (hurts my back just thinking about it)
  • My back had the same feeling as yours about that idea. icon_smile
  • My back had the same feeling as yours about that idea. icon_smile
  • I say fabricate a mounting point for the wings on the support you make for the wave. So there is a fixed location for the wings on the trailer. I can't imagine the 4 nuts are the issue with hauling the wings. But without a good storage method on the trailer hauling the wings could be a pain. Maybe one n each side of the wave hulls, or under the wave of the wings fit? Good luck, can't wait to sail it
  • I just installed my first set of H18 wings this past month (been sailing H18's for roughly 30 years, but never had a set of wings before). The initial setup/positioning of things takes a bit of time, but once you have the studs located, taking the wings on and off the boat is a piece of cake. You literally just remove one nut on each of the four mounting studs and the wings slide right off. Lining them up to put them back on would be easier with two people, but is doable solo (but wait, you're double stacking, so you need at least four people for that anyway!). Just make sure you don't move the studs in the process and taking the wings off is really no issue.

For travel, I would just lay the wings on the Wave so that they span the front and rear crossbars and secure them using tie down straps and some padding. Then lift the wave up onto the H18 and strap it down. I think that would be a lot easier than taking the Wave entirely apart and then trying to figure out how to secure all of the individual pieces.

sm
  • Sounds to me like double trailering would be easier if it's allowed where you're at.

--
    Matt Miller in Colorado
    '82 H14 Turbo #38674 Red/Gold
    '85 H18 #13222 Nationals White (Prism)
    --
  • Putting together a double stack trailer is the way to go. That way each boat has it's own part. Ran across a family from PA a few times that built a trailer to haul an H18sx on the bottom and a venture cat on top.
    They built it out of threaded iron pipe. I assume because they didn't weld. They would remove the rear upper support, slide the sx in and then reinstall the rear support and lift the venture on top. They even fit a sunfish
    on it somewhere don't remember how. Very simple design that worked well for them.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • I picked up the new wave on Monday! :) I ended up getting the club version (3 piece tramp) but I can confirm that the hulls on the club and classic are the same so you can essentially switch between each version by simply buying a new tramp and some misc hardware. It isn't like the old days where the classic didn't have tramp tracks, now they both have tracks and the classic has some metal hooks that slide into the track and the tramp hooks to those.

Here is a pic of my double stack trailer I built a couple years back without the double stack rack:
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=123602&g2_serialNumber=3

So my new question is, does anyone have a suggestion for wave cradles? Part of me says it is a tubberware boat, but the bottom has a pretty fine edge with the skeg and 2" steel tubing is pretty hard. icon_smile So does anyone have any suggestions?

-Eric

Edited by efinley on Jul 20, 2016 - 01:34 PM.
  • So I thought I would give an update to this story. So I couldn't find a good way to double stack with the wings so I'm currently removing them, and I need to find a good way to trailer them. But here is a pic of the boats
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=124413&g2_serialNumber=3

I found that with the skegs I had to load the boat backwards or else I had almost no tongue weight. I'll try to post another pic once I figure out how to trailer the wings efficiently.

-Eric

P.S. Damon - How are you supposed to get the links to images from the photo galleries? I had to inspect the raw HTML to find the link that worked.

Edited by efinley on Aug 15, 2016 - 05:03 PM.
  • Quote I ended up getting the club version (3 piece tramp)

That is the better deal. I have come across a lot of Waves, in the Caribbean, Overseas, & several around where I sail.
    The 3 pc tramps can be tightened as needed. Most of the others get saggy, some extremely so.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.