Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

NACRA 5.7 refurb: Gel Coat or Paint?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Quote I'll keep the forum posted on progress, and over the next 2-weeks we should see completion and a launch.

Looking forward to it!

--
    Devonshire, Bermuda
    NACRA 5.7
    --
  • Hot weather and family visits are slowing me down. I ordered a North cartridge respirator and some Tyvek suits for the remaining coats. The fumes were pretty intense with the first coat of primer and the finish coats will likely be worse. Lots of sanding in my first coat of primer, and I will do a lot more thinning, and not try tipping in the second coat. The paint was very thick and did not level, so sanding is the penalty.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Second coat of primer and sanding complete and one to go before going to the finish coats. The first coat was not thinned enough, and my technique for leveling (tipping) sucked. As a result, I had days of sanding and as the primer cured, it became diamond hard. I was down to 60 grit paper and barely making a dent. Lesson learned was, thin, use a foam brush to tip (avoid synthetic bristles, even good ones, at all costs).

In the second coat, the primer was thinned 20-25% with 2333 brushing liquid. This made it possible to get a 1-quart mix to spread evenly and completely on both hulls and rudders, with enough left to go back over some trouble spots. I used the 1/8 solvent resistant foam roller with 3-inch foam brushes to level. The foam brushes broke down and became too flexible to be effective after one hull, so I used two of them, and could have used 3.

The second coat was smooth and free of any brush strokes. Sanding was started within 8-hours of application and was easy to complete. I used a high intensity flood light to contrast any imperfections, and I feel really good going into the third and final coat of primer. For the primer coat, don't worry about edge blending too much. Work the tipping brush only as fast as it will glide without chuddering over the surface and replace it when it goes limp. I'm using a North respirator with HEPA/Organic cartridges, and it did not break-through. Also used a tyvek suit without booties or elastic sleeves and still sweated enough to soak my shirt and shorts as if I had jumped in a pool. It's tough not to rush, but the results are better not rushing the tipping brush. Finally, as the hulls approached touch dry, I was able to use some remaining material to add a layer over the bottom of the hulls and some of the repairs that needed some more thickness. This all blended just fine during sanding. I think it is important to hit the high wear areas like the bottom of the hulls with some extra material.

The primer looks as good as gel coat, and could probably be buffed to a decent finish. It will be interesting to see how the Perfection looks when we get there.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Coat #3 of primer is just applied, so final sanding to #400 grit can begin later today or tomorrow morning. I'm getting a lot better at this and should not have major imperfections to sand. I was practicing with avoiding lap marks, and it seems smaller sections that overlap the previous panel by several inches works best. I picked up some foam brushes at Sherwin Williams. These are far superior to the ones from Home Depot and provided better results, and lasted through the entire job without becoming floppy or falling apart. My application time from mixing through clean-up, including the 20 minute induction time, was 2-hours for both hulls and rudders.

In preparing for the finish coats I researched the efficacy of organic cartidges against the hazardous Hexamethylene Diisocyanate vapor. It appears the conventional organic + particulate cartridges should offer adequate protection as I'm not sensitized to the material. I used to work at EPA, so I'm kind of a HAP nerd having used all types of purifying, air-supplied and SCBA respirators. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11297054

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • After finishing the third coat and final sanding using 180 grit, I waited to the following morning, then used a mirror to reflect sunlight into the garage. The intense light and steep angle allowed defects to be seen that could not be detected with a portable light.

I used a wall mirror and laid it on the driveway using a car jack and other objects to change the angle. Changing the angles, I could illuminate the entire boat about 6-feet at a time.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/1E63B186-0760-4D52-9835-B29AF15ADE5F.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/63E01CF2-6843-4CF4-A9F2-5B3BB6098B23.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/5D767338-D427-47E9-A49C-B055FB924169.jpg

This really highlighted the imperfections in the primer, like this area underneaath the tramp support. This area is not visible on the boat, but since we've come this far, might as well do some additional light sanding.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/F1E1597A-9FD6-4F2F-90A5-D0587B33C044.jpg

This is what we're really after. brush strokes in the primer, too light to be seen under less intense light, but that would show under the final paint.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/5D9A8F67-AEC0-41B7-95A2-91628AB1B0FA.jpg

Everything is washed down, and I'm repairing the masking. I'd still like to paint today, but at noon the temperature is climbing.

Edited by tominpa on Jul 20, 2016 - 02:07 PM.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Oh for Heaven's sake, chrome does not reflect like this!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/EFC87933-EFA5-41E7-9718-47E802E0DBB7.jpg

First coat finish, dry to touch. It took LESS than one quart to coat both hulls and the rudders and hull ports. I had about 1- pint to throw away. I had some runs and drips until I started keeping an eye on completed sections and learned to not overload the roller. If it seems like you have to really drive the roller to cover, it is the right amount. After this coat is sanded the second should be all I need. I will probably return the third coat quart. Also, I had 2-quarts to 2333 thinner, and only needed one.

Edited by tominpa on Jul 20, 2016 - 07:18 PM.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • tominpaOh for Heaven's sake, chrome does not reflect like this!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/EFC87933-EFA5-41E7-9718-47E802E0DBB7.jpg

First coat finish, dry to touch. It took LESS than one quart to coat both hulls and the rudders and hull ports. I had about 1- pint to throw away. I had some runs and drips until I started keeping an eye on completed sections and learned to not overload the roller. If it seems like you have to really drive the roller to cover, it is the right amount. After this coat is sanded the second should be all I need. I will probably return the third coat quart. Also, I had 2-quarts to 2333 thinner, and only needed one.Edited by tominpa on Jul 20, 2016 - 07:18 PM.

Wow. They look great and thanks so much for the detail on process! Looking forward to seeing the final shots.

--
    Devonshire, Bermuda
    NACRA 5.7
    --
  • damn that looks good

--
    Rob Jones
    1976 Yellow p-16 - parts is parts - hulls cut up
    1978 Yellow p-16 - in good working order
    1979 White p-15 - parts is parts - hulls cut up
    1985 White p-15 - good working order
    1982 White NACRA 5.8 - project boat.
    1986 White p-16 - in good working order
    1975 White Hobie 3.5 - PM me if you want it
    --
  • Guests for the past week...almost got them painted last Thursday, but now I'm waiting for correct conditions (lower humidity) to final this out. Final sanding to 400 grit is done and hulls are washed, but weather has been hot with high humidity.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Coat #2 of Perfection looks good, but not perfect. I got a few sags, but they may be acceptable...I'd love to be done. The finish coat is mirror-like reflective and has even color. I could do a third coat, but I'd really like to put this boat on the water early next week. Maybe save the paint for a Fall touch-up.

I still need to refinish the top deck which looks faded and stained in comparison to the highly reflective hulls. I think tomorrow morning I will strip the masking and see what I have. Compared to the stained, and poorly repaired hulls that were transformed into shining smooth hulls, I am pleased. Durability should be good, but since my beach has some rock, maintenance will be ongoing. Not bad for a 1984 NACRA 5.7 that is older than my children.

I will post pictures of the launch.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • As the cure goes on, the finish gets brighter and tighter. This is where all the prep work really shows. Anything not perfect when starting the finish coat shows. It's getting better, and yet the few sags are there on the right hull, on the inside under the tramp. I will say, I had at least 1/4 quart of waste on this coat. It's a lot of paint, so no problem coating both hulls, rudders, centerboards and anything else if you're inclined using 1-quart.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I lied. I sanded and applied the third coat. This time I conserved material mixing 14 ounces of paint with 7 ounces of catalyst and

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Countdown to launch! We are T-minus 12 hours. The boat is rigged with new lines, but not much else other than the fresh paint. It will be good to finally be back on the water. I do need some new shock cord for the front trapeze. Disappointed to find the old one was frayed.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/804FC22C-29F1-4258-9C3B-8171D2D4575A.jpg

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • And we finally had a launch. On a day that reached 90 degrees with winds out of south gusting to 15+ mph after noon it was a great day. Arrived at the launch around 9:30 and recruited some help to step the mast. Since it was the first time being rigged, there were a lot of small details that took a couple hours to completely get ready. Finally took of into a fair breeze. Of course beaching on the gravel beach has a special pain now knowing, that that beautiful finish will need to be maintained on the bottom. The pictures below were in the morning in calm winds. The iPhone doesn't go out when the hulls are out of the water, but the spray over the bow and bridle wire seemed smoother. :)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/BF67A3D6-AAE6-4038-B486-E6C3C1C611C6.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/298DC5EA-7C21-444D-BE6F-30630AC76AAA.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/F460421A-B5CD-48DA-8755-26A345A04F47.jpg

So, I'm sailing again...are you?

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I have had a great month of sailing so far on the newly finished hulls. I have had a lot of compliments on the appearance, of the boat. While it's nothing new to sail circles around my friends with H-16 and P-16 cats, it seems to move faster and quietly in the water.j, and so far nothing to drain from the plugs at the end of the day... life is good.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/2392B29B-A0B7-44D5-8DFC-E52376A11D46.jpg

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Looks great!

My N5.7 was pulled out of the water six days ago. It had been sitting on a finger pier in a (protected) bay. It was not easy to dismantle due to all the corrosion, but I have got it apart and started sanding. It was painted once before with what I have determined is a two part paint of some description. Should be sanded and ready for primer this weekend.

I will post up the photos so far this weekend.

--
    Devonshire, Bermuda
    NACRA 5.7
    --
  • Quoteso far nothing to drain from the plugs at the end of the day... life is good.

awesome~!
    enjoy
  • bermudaLooks great!

My N5.7 was pulled out of the water six days ago. It had been sitting on a finger pier in a (protected) bay. It was not easy to dismantle due to all the corrosion, but I have got it apart and started sanding. It was painted once before with what I have determined is a two part paint of some description. Should be sanded and ready for primer this weekend.

I will post up the photos so far this weekend.

I look forward to seeing your project. Its a lot of work, but worth it when you're done.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.