Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Anyone removed this bolt?  Bottom

• I want to remove this bolt at the end of the dolphin striker on my N20 to replace it with a metric of the same size. Has anyone ever removed this bolt before? How do you get a wrench into the crossbeam that far to hold the bolt head when loosening or tightening? Anyone done this before?
    Thanks!

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=122946&g2_serialNumber=4
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=122949&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • I would say you will have to remove the end cap ,find the right sized wrench and place an extender on it .Small diameter tube usually does the trick,then just feed the wrench in until you find the bolt head.
    OR you may be able to reach in with the wrench.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • I would say you will have to remove the end cap ,find the right sized wrench and place an extender on it .Small diameter tube usually does the trick,then just feed the wrench in until you find the bolt head.
    OR you may be able to reach in with the wrench.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • You may not need to.
    NACRA used studs welded to SS plates in situations like this where they needed two threaded connectors close together.
    Have you tried just removing the nut?
    Can't hurt, might help.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Getting access to that nutplate is difficult at best on newer extrusions. There is a vertical aluminum compression web inside the beam that is not meant to come out blocking access. Not sure why you would want to replace with a metric nut, even living in euro land, standard hardware is still available. There is no good reason unless the stud is damaged. Putting a wrench inside the beam is also fraught with peril.
  • QuoteNot sure why you would want to replace with a metric nut,

For a custom project I'm doing, I need to attach some hardware there and the threaded sleeve cast into the hardware has metric threads. I want to replace the 'bolt' with a metric one, not the nut.
    QuoteHave you tried just removing the nut? Can't hurt, might help.

I'm afraid to just loosen the nut and find that I can't re-tighten it 'cause I can't reach the head from the inside. If it's a welding stud, then I suppose I'm not going to be replacing it with metric anyway.

Has anyone actually messed with this bolt before and knows what's happening in there?
    j

--
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • archHas anyone actually messed with this bolt before and knows what's happening in there?
    j

I have on 2 different N20's, both had welded bolt plates. I also replaced the front beam on a 5.8 and I used the welded plate on it also.

--
    Philip
    --
  • ok, thanks philip!
    looks like I'll have to forget swapping this out and go a different direction.

by the way, i love the humor in your avatar! icon_lol
    j

Edited by arch on May 29, 2016 - 12:24 AM.

--
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.