Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Best Current Production Performance Single hand Beach Cat  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I noticed none of you guys wearing a pfd any reason?

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • I thinks it good general info to note that not all beach wheels are equal. The smooth rubber wheels with cradles are 1000x easier than the hard plastic without cradles. Since I have 2 boats, I have 2 sets. If I am launching the Gcat somewhere difficult I'll use both sets and it is almost effortless once they are in position. My dream is to design a trailer where a small frame with 4 beach wheels detaches from the trailer with the boat on and I can just roll her to the beach
  • "I noticed none of you guys wearing a pfd any reason?"
    Most of the guys I sail with do not wear one

I wear one 95% of the time.

I can't recall why I wasn't wearing one at that specific time but looking at the video ...
    conditions were very flat, wind was very stable, video was loaded in sept... water temp is around 90* that time of year... but that's not typical for me to not have one on.
  • "I noticed none of you guys wearing a pfd any reason?"
    Most of the guys I sail with do not wear one

I wear one 95% of the time.

I can't recall why I wasn't wearing one at that specific time but looking at the video ...
    conditions were very flat, wind was very stable, video was loaded in sept... water temp is around 90* that time of year... but that's not typical for me to not have one on.
  • MN3funny, I am (the smallest) 1 of 3 guys who regularly sail a mystere 5.5 solo (the 3rd guy has wings on his 5.5 and 6.0)

we also have at least 2 guys who solo regularly on their mystere 6.0, and a few others who do it 1/2 the time solo

and we have a g-cat guy who sails solo several days a week on his g-cat 5.7

none of us have ANY issues handling our boats, spinnakers or getting our boats up our beach without any help

I will say that my 6.0 (with custom wings) is a bit too much for me to roll up the beach solo, and I prefer crew in heavy air but I have sailed it solo several times in heavy air...

YMMV

You must be Macho man,

Many of us do not have venues that allow hauling a boat out in such a way. Try pulling that boat out of a ramp on Lake Hartwell and then get back with me.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • "You must be Macho man - Many of us do not have venues that allow hauling a boat out in such a way. Try pulling that boat out of a ramp on Lake Hartwell and then get back with me."

I only sail around Clearwater/caladisi so that would make me a Mini-Macho Man :)
    (there used to be 2 annual races here: the Macho man from Tampa DIYC to Dunedin Causeway and the Mini-Macho man that sails around the Clearwater/caladisi island)

for me, at my location: I think it's more about balancing the boat on the wheels and having good technique vs brute strength. I used to struggle with my H18 and M5.5 but now "the force is strong with me"

I totally agree that my beach has a pretty "comfy" environment. That is a large part of why I live here and sail 100+ days a year (used to be closer to 140)

I have used the ramp at Davis Island (DIYC) a few times and it was not fun (actually in those days I would just back my trailer down the ramp and pray my car wouldn't slip in). I cant imagine even trying to push a cat up a slick ramp with wheels.
  • If only California had 90 degree water!

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.c…aler-supercat-2a-2a.html
    Not current production, but a great single hander.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.c…aler-supercat-2a-2a.html

http://www.aquarius-sail.…amarans/arc17/index.html
    Current production

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Well the boston whaler version isn't in production but the supercat 17 by aquarius is

gahambyhttp://www.thebeachcats.c…aler-supercat-2a-2a.html

Current production
  • I'll give you one last reply and probably get skewered for it - :)

I'm older (55) so wings are the cat's meow (sorry about that one too). With that said, it is not current production but the H17. It is a high wind boat so there is no drama (again an old man benefit). On Lake George it is performing better than my previous F18HT w/wings & 15 sq m sail since it is heavier and drives through the nasty ever present boat chop whereas the styrofoam cup F18HT continually bounced in every direction so the sail would flop around continually losing air attachment.

Now the H17 is underpowered in light air and Lake George is a light air lake but this can be resolved. I added a super jib (H18 jib) and a spinnaker. With the super jib the boat moves upwind in real light air and you're up on the wings in 5 - 7 knots. With spin you can sail it on a really close reach in no air and still move. Both of these sails can be doused in a second should the wind strengthen. (To really achieve this I did steal Rick White's idea of a 2-1 furler for the jib... thanks Rick!).

The H17 has its issues (wing tubes) and is not a Ferrari or even an up to date Jetta but it is a nice classic Cadillac (Every boat is a compromise and my F25C is my Ferrari). Mine stays on the beach so I am underway in just the time it takes to raise the main. Understanding this would be a boat to grow old sailing with I bought a 2nd for parts - :)

James
    H17+
    Farrier F25C

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.