Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Best catamaran in bay with tight 1-3 foot waves  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Both 5.5's and 6.0's in the videos
    the standard beam is 8'6" - as ed mentioned the XL's have a 10'beam option
    parts are plentiful around here, could be a challenge in other locations
    Mystere is building boats again and is selling parts

I've never heard of mystere having rudder casting issues (besides them breaking with extreme use and abuse)
    I solo my 5.5 with spin all the time, it does require a righting bag to solo right (but what big boat doesn't)

No "General problems" - these are strong, fast boat with centerboards that work well for shallow areas and are a great fun or race boat.

So nice I bought 3 of them

spoultonMN3 was that the Mystere 5.5 or 6.0 in the video? What is the beam on each of those boats?
    Appears like the Mystere 6.0 are well priced. Any problems getting parts? Any problems in general with those cats?
  • spoultonBacho thanks I'm definitely leaning that way. Anyone have any comments on the Hobie Miracle 20?

The Miracle is making comeback as some fleets are popping up...

I would second the Inter/Nacra 20. They can be had cheap, and were built with having a spinnaker from the start... Good to have on those dead August days with ships heading up to Baltimore.

Edited by JohnES on May 04, 2016 - 06:47 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I would add the caveat that n20's are race boats and not really cruisers (take a long time to rig, and have dagger boards) and not a forgiving boat - but they are fast and strong

JohnES
    I would second the Inter/Nacra 20. They can be had cheap, and were built with having a spinnaker from the start... Good to have on those dead August days with ships heading up to Baltimore.Edited by JohnES on May 04, 2016 - 06:47 PM.
  • I love my Hobie 20 in all conditions.. I furl the jib when the wind gets crazy but it handles chop, surf and large swells with ease. I installed Hobie 18 magnum wings on mine when i feel like relaxing and taking a couple people out for a cruise. Can set it up from trailer to water in 30 minutes. It will fly a Hull in 10 kts nice and smooth. Like all other 20' cats it is a beast in anything approaching 20 mph or more. I've done a few mods to mine to make my noob crew have a comfy seat and not have to deal with a tramp full of lines and sheets everywhere ;) Don't want her to get boat bite lol.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • double post issues here too......... OS X and safari

Edited by fxloop on May 05, 2016 - 01:27 AM.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • MN3I would add the caveat that n20's are race boats and not really cruisers (take a long time to rig, and have dagger boards) and not a forgiving boat - but they are fast and strong

JohnES
    I would second the Inter/Nacra 20. They can be had cheap, and were built with having a spinnaker from the start... Good to have on those dead August days with ships heading up to Baltimore.Edited by JohnES on May 04, 2016 - 06:47 PM.
    e yer sailed on ou ev

MN3 have you ever sailed and/or owned a NACRA/Inter 20? If you have, I don't think you would be making those statements...

Having both owned a Nacra 20 and sailed the Chesapeake Bay I say this is a great choice along with the Hobie 20.. The problem with the Hobie is there is a resurgence; at least on the West Coast, in the class and the boats are not that cheap anymore.

Those that know me, know that have I pitched polled, flipped, and cartwheeled with just about every boat I have had and in ever race I have been in. I really had to push and I mean push the Nacra hard to get it to pitch over, and as for flipping, it is not a hair trigger experience similar to the Myster 6.0, Nacra 6.0, or Hobie 20's I have sailed on.. Heels up, head up travel out and it settles right back down. very smooth, guess that is why the call the N20 "the boat with the Cadillac ride."

The Hobie 20 has dagger board and was/is a race boat too? Huh!!!!!

Nacra 20 is not a good cursing boat????? With self taking jib set up it has a very clean deck, no lines for the passengers (non sailors are passengers, not crew) to get caught up in... Can't say how many times I have 3 or 4 on the boat for and afternoon sail... The carbon fiber mast does not take a Chinook helicopter to lift it, hell it is lighter than my Prindle 18 mast. Set up can be done single handed.... I have done this a few time..

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • MN3I would add the caveat that n20's are race boats and not really cruisers (take a long time to rig, and have dagger boards) and not a forgiving boat - but they are fast and strong

JohnES

MN3 have you ever sailed and/or owned a NACRA/Inter 20? If you have, I don't think you would be making those statements...

Having both owned a Nacra 20 and sailed the Chesapeake Bay I say this is a great choice along with the Hobie 20.. The problem with the Hobie is there is a resurgence; at least on the West Coast, in the class and the boats are not that cheap anymore.

Those that know me, know that have I pitched polled, flipped, and cartwheeled with just about every boat I have had and in ever race I have been in. I really had to push and I mean push the Nacra hard to get it to pitch over, and as for flipping, it is not a hair trigger experience similar to the Myster 6.0, Nacra 6.0, or Hobie 20's I have sailed on.. Heels up, head up travel out and it settles right back down. very smooth, guess that is why the call the N20 "the boat with the Cadillac ride."

The Hobie 20 has dagger board and was/is a race boat too? Huh!!!!!

Nacra 20 is not a good cursing boat????? With self taking jib set up it has a very clean deck, no lines for the passengers (non sailors are passengers, not crew) to get caught up in... Can't say how many times I have 3 or 4 on the boat for and afternoon sail... The carbon fiber mast does not take a Chinook helicopter to lift it, hell it is lighter than my Prindle 18 mast. Set up can be done single handed.... I have done this a few time..

Edited by JohnES on May 05, 2016 - 05:17 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I agree that the I20 does the "race boat" and "cruiser" exceptionally well. Its the only race boat for 400lbs+ crew weight. The boards are long, but its not really a bigger issue than any other boat provided your not sailing in very shallow bodies of water.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • QuoteDid you sell your Mystere? Are you figuring on the H18 as a replacement? I was envious of that trailer you got with the 6.0.

Reluctantly, I did. It was a kick ass boat! My tramp launched spin wasn't ideal, but it sure was fun. I soloed that combination quite a bit, had to be totally organized, & of course slow/methodical was better when solo.
    I found even when I had crew, we usually ended up taking 2 boats out, it was more fun with both Nacras vs a single 20 footer. Still I would have kept it, but righting it was VERY tough when solo. The wings weighed around 20lb each,(they were customized H21 wings), & that extra weight once over centre made quite a difference. Generally there is no coast gourd around, in fact many times I sailed without being in visual of any boats, fine when the water is warm, but one had to take so many precautions early/late in season that it took much of the fun out.
    The 6XL was fine in up to 12ish or so wind, but you had to be very careful. With only myself, it could easily be flipped in 10mph, if you got caught daydreaming with main cleated.
    My wife liked the wings so much she was always hounding me to get a boat with wings. The H18 came along, so I bought it, despite not really needing it. I honestly don't think it will be faster, or "better" than my 5.7. For recreational sailing you just can't beat the simplicity/performance of a boomless/boardless boat like the 5.7.
    Anyway, I overhauled the H18, total standing rig package, compounded the hulls, new shroud pins, sails gone over, bought spare jib, new lines, hatches. I'll sail it hard this summer, & see how I like it vs the 2 Nacra.
    My neighbor is already bugging me to sell him the 5.7, & ditch his old H16.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteMN3 have you ever sailed and/or owned a NACRA/Inter 20? If you have, I don't think you would be making those statements...

owned, no
    sailed, yes
    raced against, many times.
    we have a n20 on our beach that races in almost every local race and I am friendly with the team that races it.

Any good sailor can take out a deck full of people on their boat regardless of it's classification.

I will stand by my statement and say this is a race boat, not really a cruiser -
    that doesn't mean it can't work .. it means this boat was built as a racer and not built for "comfortable recreation time on the water with friends and family"

QuoteNacra 20 is not a good cursing boat?????

I hear plenty of swear words coming from the N20 teams

Quoteit is not a hair trigger experience similar to the Myster 6.0,

not sure what your talking about. I have owned mysteres for a decade, we have dozens in our area. I have NEVER seen one pitchpole. we can drive the bows underwater up to the beam and the boat will "popup" like a cork.
  • This is starting to get good. I need another beer and some more popcorn.

I've never seen the Mystere 6.0 pitch but when the blades stopped humming, I looked back and she was pointy end forward. They will go if pushed hard enough.

I should split this up in several posts or i'll never make Master Chief.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • nacra55I've never seen the Mystere 6.0 pitch but when the blades stopped humming, I looked back and she was pointy end forward. They will go if pushed hard enough.

Sure, if you try hard enough you can probably sail through someone's house front door - it won't be pretty but it's possible. Mystere's are pretty forgiving. Sure you can flip them , hell I have "sailed" through the window in my sail 1/2 doz times during a flip... but pitchpole? ya gotta either try, or be asleep at the wheel.

my 6.0 is more powerful than my 5.5 but my on my 6.0, things happen in a much slower speed... there is lots of time for correction
  • Ya'll do realize the O.P lives in Annapolis, with one of, if not THE largest fleet of Nacra 20's in the country
  • People must want to hang onto there Inter 20's then as this is the area I live in and I rarely see one locally that is up for sale. Unfortunately there also do not appear to be any local sailors selling Mystere 6.0's either. I always keep an eye on this web site and check Craigslist. Any other good places to search for decent used 20 foot catamarans?

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • Nacra20s and Nacra6.0s rarely come up in our SoCal area...even for P19 I had to scout CL for months. It becomes a bit easier if you are willing to travel a bit further so maybe 200mi and beyond...I would make a list of possible models and then keep your eyes open for all of them. You may also have to check other sites. Tempest search allows searching CL beyond your local area. The P19 is an upgrade over the P18, it's got symmetrical hulls and centerboards, so you should get more performance out of it. The N20 is another step up but it's also going to cost you a few grand more. There's a lot to consider but then it's also soooo much fun checking out boats...

Like the previous poster mentions many of the Nacras sit in fleets so it may also be worth checking yacht club listings...

Edited by marekli on May 13, 2016 - 12:31 AM.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • spoultonPeople must want to hang onto there Inter 20's then as this is the area I live in and I rarely see one locally that is up for sale. Unfortunately there also do not appear to be any local sailors selling Mystere 6.0's either. I always keep an eye on this web site and check Craigslist. Any other good places to search for decent used 20 foot catamarans?

Go to the classifieds, type in your zip code and then sort by zip code and you see there a few I20, Nacra 6.0, and other 20 foot boats for sale close by...

I used my brother's Ellicott City zip and for a few in New Jersey, New York, and even MA..... I am a Yankee at heart!

May be worth the road trip to get the boat you really want..

Edited by JohnES on May 13, 2016 - 10:46 AM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • You can set up a google alert for anytime a specific keyword (i.e. nacre 20 for sale) posts to the web
    i just did a google search for "mystere catamaran for sale" and a few popped up
    you can go to the other cat website and look at their classifieds
    you can look through craigs list
    as mentioned, go to local yacht clubs that have beachcat fleets - talk with the skippers, they usually know about unposted boats for sale)
    mystere (Canada) sells used boats
    there is a mystere 6.0 w wings for sale here in Dunedin fl
    http://www.sailboatlistings.com/
    http://www.everyboat.com/boat/3553-1995-mystere-international-mystere-5-5

spoultonPeople must want to hang onto there Inter 20's then as this is the area I live in and I rarely see one locally that is up for sale. Unfortunately there also do not appear to be any local sailors selling Mystere 6.0's either. I always keep an eye on this web site and check Craigslist. Any other good places to search for decent used 20 foot catamarans?
  • here is another video to promote mystere's (and 1 stupid g-cat that beats us in the end)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgu3DM2ruyI
  • you might also get leads if you are able to post a message either yourself or through a fleet captain as "looking for Nacra20/I20" at local yacht clubs with cat fleets. You might be surprised by the response. There are a lot of boats sitting in fleets that are not getting used and where owners will sell if you make them a reasonable offer.

Edited by marekli on May 13, 2016 - 04:16 PM.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Thanks for the video, I can't reel in a Mystere on my Gcat, time to train harder

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.