Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Clueless Noob w/ Prindle 16 In Panama City Fl.  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Well the pro showed up on my doorstep tonight. Weirdest thing ever, he knew exactly where I lived as his did is my closest neighbor (100 yards away). He not only setup my boat, he told me exactly what I was missing, where to get it, how to set up and takedown. He also probably saved my life, as my stays were loose enough to kill me by dropping the mast on my head - but how was I to know?

He also hinted about about sailing this weekend, which would be about as awesome as it gets.

Thanks to Kyle(lostnmymind ) for his time, getting me almost straight(I was very upside down), and giving me enough confidence to get out on the water (after I gather the missing components) - this was a HUGE day !!

--
    Don
    Prindle 16
    Panama City, Fl.
    My 3 Year Adventure
    --
  • MN3"Capsized Catamaran found upside down, skipper found clinging to cooler"

Many of us have found that clinging to the cooler is easier if the cooler seals well. Duct tape is fair, but 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive works best. I have seen a stadium seat bolted to the cooler lid, but that seems a luxury few of us can afford from an acrobatic standpoint. Seems like there should also be handles and a seatbelt. A telescoping trident is nice to fend off sharks, especially if you are cooling their favorite beer below your seat. While Bull Sharks prefer Pacifico, Corona seems to repel them all. Some folks worry about carrying radios and heavy signal devices, but I prefer to spend the weight on sunscreen, a sun hat and the aforementioned beers. Those last three items can get you clear through a day of drifting toward shore with a minimum of effort.
    For the record, I speak in jest, but sharks do turn up their noses at Corona. :)

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • dredman
    Thanks to Kyle(lostnmymind ) for his time, getting me almost straight(I was very upside down), and giving me enough confidence to get out on the water (after I gather the missing components) - this was a HUGE day !!

That's great! Way to go Kyle, that's how you grow the sport.

Don, be sure and report back after sailing a bit.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • So I took the boat out Saturday. Of course it took me 2 hours to rig it up, as it was the first time I rigged it completely, AND put the boat in the water. I also had forgotten many of the things Kyle taught me days before(he showed me quite a bit, and my memory sux). After rigging it up, I sat n the beach, reading the manual, trying to muster the courage to get on the boat, with having only a small clue about sailing.

Like rigging the boat, I really needed find out WHAT I DID NOT KNOW before I could really start learning. That is how I learn.

So I sucked it up, and jumped on.

Man, I really don't know anything!

Now at least, I know what I don't know.

Here is a short record.
    (NSW - please excuse the profanity - I cuss a lot when I am excited.)

https://vimeo.com/164949920

Edited by dredman on May 02, 2016 - 08:46 AM.

--
    Don
    Prindle 16
    Panama City, Fl.
    My 3 Year Adventure
    --
  • I loved the video. It gets faster to rig over time, but finding somewhere to store the boat with the mast up will save you a load of time.
  • With practice setup can be well under an hour, approaching half an hour if you have regular crew to help. Glad you got it out, the first few times are always a challenge.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Don, Glad to see you got out and looked like you had a good time. Would highly recommend getting some experience in righting the catamaran before it happens by accident. First, when the mast is down inspect it for any holes and seal them with marine sealent or waterproof silicone caulk. Also seal any rivets. You do not want to get water in the mast as this will make it difficult or impossible to right the cat. I would get someone else to go out with you (preferably someone with experience in righting a catamaran) and in shallow water intentionally flip the cat and practice righting it. You should have a righting line preferably with knots in it to increase your grip. When you right the cat make sure that you right it with the hulls into the wind and make sure you uncleat the main and jib. Make sure that you hang onto something as the cat can get away from you when its back upright or even when tipped over. Once you feel comfortable doing this in shallow water near shore, while you still have someone with you, try righting it in deep water. You should be able to right the P-16 by yourself as you appear to have enough weight to do this. No matter how careful you are, there will be a time when the cat flips and having experience with righting it in a controlled situation will be invaluable. Have fun but be safe.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • Good job.
    I thought you were going to jump in without a PFD, but later footage looks like you have one on. DON'T EVER GO WITHOUT ONE! AND WEAR IT!
    When new, it is very easy to flip that boat & get cracked on the noggin, & you would not be the first to perish.
    At 2:55 the jib was flogging, but i see later you tightened the sheet.
    I couldn't tell if your sandals were strapped to the boat. If left loose on the tramp, they WILL disappear. Guaranteed! So will anything else left loose.
    Pickup a copy of Bermans Catamaran Sailing start to Finish. Or get out wiht some other Cat people in your area. You will learn in 2 days what it will take 2 years of trial & error plus $$$ to figure out.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • All great tips, thanks guys. I am still looking for folks to sail with. Made a connection with a Cat-guy in the bay as we were both leaving, but he was full of advice like "When overturned, right your boat with the sail to the wind, to help you right the boat" I asked, "are you sure it is not bow to the wind?" He responded "nope - sail to the wind, else, how would you right the boat?"

Finally I asked, "How long have you been sailing?" and "Have you ever used that procedure?" "Not long, and no" were his answers. He seemed like a nice guy tho :)

--
    Don
    Prindle 16
    Panama City, Fl.
    My 3 Year Adventure
    --
  • Don in my experience sail to the wind righting can be problematic. The wind can get under the sail and help lift the sail but it also can cause it to overturn the boat to the opposite side. Also more chance of cat catching some wind and possibly getting away without you on it. I prefer to right with bows into the wind.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • There are a few cats at St Andrews Bay Yacht Club. I was there two weeks ago with about 25 other A-Cats.
  • I live in Panama & would be willing to help.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • spoultonDon in my experience sail to the wind righting can be problematic. The wind can get under the sail and help lift the sail but it also can cause it to overturn the boat to the opposite side. Also more chance of cat catching some wind and possibly getting away without you on it. I prefer to right with bows into the wind.

That is what I have read also. I do not fear right the boat slowly as much as I fear seeing the boat zip across the bay without me, headed towards a fully loaded school-bus-boat, or a canoe, loaded with explosives :)

stumbleThere are a few cats at St Andrews Bay Yacht Club. I was there two weeks ago with about 25 other A-Cats.

I have seen those too, looks like more than a year since they were on the water?

TylerHI live in Panama & would be willing to help.

Let's go sailing?

--
    Don
    Prindle 16
    Panama City, Fl.
    My 3 Year Adventure
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.