Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Any Hobie 21sc sailors out there?  Bottom

• Howdy, hoping someone around here can help me out. I'm getting tired of paying moorage for my SJ 24 so I'm looking at a Hobie 21sc in the Puget Sound area. Trying to figure out a fair price and any issues I should be looking out for. I went and looked at it and it seemed very well sorted and sits on a good trailer. Two mains and jibs in good condition plus a gennaker. Tramps look solid. Fiberglass, too.

I've done a bit of research and haven't come across any glaring weak spots that I need to be careful of - are there any? Is this boat as fun and practical as it looks? The seller is asking for $8500. This seems high to me as you can find a pretty decent monohull for that kind of money, but I also know the 21's are pretty rare.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

--
    Bellingham, WA
    Hobie 21SC
    --
  • You are right, not many 21SC's made. They are a good recreational boat, but underpowered by cat standards. They are also heavy for a cat. It will likely be a wetter ride than your mono. The question becomes what are you looking to do? If you are looking for an easy to trailer large comfortable cruising cat I think you hit the jackpot with the 21SC. Remember speed is relative, the 21SC is likely faster than most monohull a the same size but not as fast as other cats.

The price sounds on the high side, but not crazy if it is in great condition in my opinion.

I sail the 21SE which is the 10' wide version with a bigger sailplan. Which is not nearly as good for trailer sailing. Hope it works out to you.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I'm looking for fun (aka speed), but also need something that can take 2-3 people on overnight trips in the San Juans. That's not the first time I've heard the SC described as underpowered, which is a bit of a turn-off, but I think I can live with it in exchange for the added utility with the front tramp and cabin. Do you ever beach the SE? Seems like they're a little big to be beached without a lot of muscle and some wear on the bottom, but anchoring should be a breeze.

--
    Bellingham, WA
    Hobie 21SC
    --
  • As I said underpowered is relative. If I recall the sailarea excluding gennaker is similar to a H18. I don't know your current boat, but doubt the 21 is slower. Sounds like the boat was designed for what you want to do, weekend camping and exploring. They even sold a tent for it.

I beach mine always, it lives mast up on a beach. Should have 3 people to get it on beech wheels and up the beach. 2 fit guys can do it. Hobie made a roll-up ladder thing to move the boat on the beach; would investigate that to camping with tide changes, or anchor it.

Check the Hobie cat forums, good group of 21 owners with input from Hobie employees also.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • A friend of mine just sold his 21SC for $4500 here in Kansas. If you are gonna spend that kind of cash, maybe you should look into a Stiletto 23. There is a nice one in Houston for $6000. If you are willing to travel, you can have a rocket ship, for less money.

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --
  • A friend of mine just sold his 21SC for $4500 here in Kansas. If you are gonna spend that kind of cash, maybe you should look into a Stiletto 23. There is a nice one in Houston for $6000. If you are willing to travel, you can have a rocket ship, for less money.

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --
  • I agree the Stiletto 23 is a awesome boat, but at almost 900 lbs and almost 14 foot beam he is probably back at his original issue of having to pay for a mooring. It is a heck of boat to trailer and assemble. I do think $8500 is high for a 21SC, but I think the boat fits the bill for what you are looking for. Any bigger and you won't really be able to beach it, and it really is the only beachcat type boat with any real storage. While most of us on this forum consider a SC21 under powered it is probably just right for many sailors. I would look into the beaching ladder system, either homemade or otherwise, I know it is rocky up there.

Edited by jalex on Apr 21, 2016 - 12:22 PM.
  • Thanks, guys. I didn't even know Stiletto made a 23. Looks like a blast, but the 14 foot beam would be a little much to deal with. Appreciate the feedback on the price. With the rarity of these (especially in the pacific northwest) I'm afraid I don't have much of a bargaining position but I hope I can talk the seller down a bit. Hopefully it works out, looking forward to getting back on a cat.

--
    Bellingham, WA
    Hobie 21SC
    --
  • Well I finally pulled the trigger. Took a sail with the previous owner before buying and loved it. Can't wait to get her out on Bellingham Bay!
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=120668&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Bellingham, WA
    Hobie 21SC
    --
  • Let me know if you want to sell the gennaker.
    Eric
    847-459-6823

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.