Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Using a race boat for recreation; Miracle 20 vs Tiger vs Inter 20  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Now...really?? Is it the first of April already??
    car_guyWow, thanks for all the great responses a lot of good information here.
    Durability - Is it possible to sail the I20 with beach wheels strapped down to the hull?v=9lF1XYc4mMQ[/url]

A

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Do any of you guys have any experience with Mystere boats? I have seen a few 6.0's listed for sale, and am interested in how they compare to an I20, or even a Nacra 570.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • chump23Do any of you guys have any experience with Mystere boats? I have seen a few 6.0's listed for sale, and am interested in how they compare to an I20, or even a Nacra 570.

http://www.catsailor.com/…flat&Number=51009&page=1

Pretty much everything you need to know about the Mystere. Older pre spin design like the Nacra 6.0.
  • I like Cork's comment about F18 sails on a H18. That sail plan makes a big difference. Or a new squaretop main plus F18 spin would be nice on a H18 too.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • smfinleyI like Cork's comment about F18 sails on a H18. That sail plan makes a big difference. Or a new squaretop main plus F18 spin would be nice on a H18 too.

I was originally thinking of hoping up my 18 with a spin and squaretop but it's still a submarine with any kind of weight. I would be very curious to see how a 21sc would perform with modern sails and taller rig....
  • 21's are heavy, but with a modern sail and taller mast the 21SC could be a lot of fun. That would solve your crew weight issue. Heavy makng it hard to move on the beach and less responsive to wind gusts, but a smooth ride.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • smfinley21's are heavy, but with a modern sail and taller mast the 21SC could be a lot of fun. That would solve your crew weight issue. Heavy makng it hard to move on the beach and less responsive to wind gusts, but a smooth ride.

As a 21SE owner would it be feasible to cut down the beams to legal width? I understand the tramp and shrouds would need to be shortened but that doesn't seam too difficult. Would loosing the beam kill performance?

I'm starting to lean towards the 21 again, I have a nice 16lb cruise n' carry outboard I would love to have on my next cat to greatly expand my ocean access here in the rocky north east.
  • car_guy
    chump23Do any of you guys have any experience with Mystere boats? I have seen a few 6.0's listed for sale, and am interested in how they compare to an I20, or even a Nacra 570.

http://www.catsailor.com/…flat&Number=51009&page=1

Pretty much everything you need to know about the Mystere. Older pre spin design like the Nacra 6.0.

Well, I learned that the Mystere 6.0 is fast and rugged; however, the original rudder system had issues, and non-anodized aluminum has corrosion problems. I learned a lot about mixed-metal corrosion!

Interesting read, and it gave me some things to think about, but I'm really more interested in the OP's questions regarding crew weight, rigging time, and user friendliness. Anyone knowledge in these issues care to chime in.

Edited by chump23 on Mar 29, 2016 - 01:04 PM.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • I am fairly new to the 21 and haven't taken the beams apart yet to look inside. They are interesting, each corner telescopes independently. So there is a chance you could secure the beam in the collapsed location with little modification required. However I am not sure if there is enough structure/support when collapsed. at a minimum you would likely need to drill holes to allow the beam to be bolted in the collapsed position. I also wonder if a cross bar swap with an SC would work, or if the mast base is different. I know the SE masts are very hard to find.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • The top decks been the 21se & SC are completely different. I think the 21SC may use the same cross bars as the miracle 20... which gives me an idea....
  • car_guy

As a 21SE owner would it be feasible to cut down the beams to legal width? I understand the tramp and shrouds would need to be shortened but that doesn't seam too difficult. Would loosing the beam kill performance?

Reducing the beam on a catamaran is a fairly straight forward mechanical task. You are sacrificing a percentage of your righting moment but not much else in the way of performance. Righting moment is a function of width and also a function of ballast. If you give up width you can always make up righting moment with more ballast ie heavier crew. You can also add wings to gain back width. Trap out on the wings and you add a bunch of righting moment.

The most critical part of the job is dealing with the dolphin striker. The dolphin striker supports the compression loads of the mast. You have to get this right. (On Supercats this is an easy task, Aquarius sells an internal striker that slips into the front beam.) Dealing with the tramp is easy, cut the middle, fold it back, add some grommets and center lacing, done.

The side stays and forestay can all be reused, how? Easy, Remove the mast hound, do some geometry calcs, then measure precisely, you reattach the hound to the mast, somewhere between 1-2 inches higher on the mast, this will take up all the slack in the stays. Trust me it is not much. (you will have to shorten the bridle wires to reuse the forestay, these are the only two wires that need to be shortened or custom made) Don't forget to plug the unused holes on the mast to reseal it.

I narrowed a Supercat 20 from 12' down to 9' (giving up 25% of the original righting moment) and do not have any regret what-so-ever. It is a terrific, fun, fast and easily trailered boat.

Edited by havliii on Mar 30, 2016 - 12:04 AM.

--
    'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
    --
  • Hobie already did it with the H21 sc. It's "formula" hull was designed for racing (H21se) and with wings is a comfortable 13' wide cat for 3-4 adults. With wings off it's a standard 8'-6" width for trailering. The large amount of dry storage make it ideal for coastal camping/recreational sailing. The downside of being underpowered can be solved with a more efficient/powerful square top main and reacher which is what we did. All 3 sails are roller furling which makes for easy handling and we have a 2hp Honda outboard that gets us in and out of crowded launch areas easily. We searched for a year to identify the ideal beach cat for a seasoned big cat/H18/Nacra 5.2,5.8 sailor to introduce young kids to sailing comfortably, without giving up speed. We find the H21 sc to be ideal for several days of coastal hopping in Baja or out to the Channel Islands. So far we love the boat and can rig it in about an hour from the trailer. My family loves the speed and simple uncluttered layout and sail controls. Trampolines are clean and clear for guest comfort and we wrapped the wings under the mesh in 3/8" EVA foam to cushion the tubular frames. If you are not racing, the boat is plenty fast, even for me, and can handle a wide range of wind conditions due to its lower 29 foot mast height and boom furling main. Hobie made an optional boom tent for overnighting on the main tramp. The boat has the simplicity and indestructible toughness of a smaller Hobie with the carrying capacity of a 21 foot hull. I traded a little speed and lightness for a lot of comfort and turning on my kids to some epic cat sailing adventures. I'm surprised that there are not other cats like the H21sc that fill a niche for those like myself that like sailing long distances on my cats.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.