Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Overwintering mast up  Bottom

• I'm being lazy but was thinking. I've been overwintering my boat by taking down the mast detensioning the tramp, propping up the bows (to let the snow slide off) and covering the whole deal with a tarp. Was wondering if I could do the same thing with the mast up. Obviously the halyards will get sun damaged but any thoughts on whether other damage could occur? I guess that the tension on frozen Fiberglas may be bad but am not sure. Certainly it won't hurt the stainless and aluminum. Thoughts? Experiences? I'll probably take it down but was curious.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • At my club, my cat and about fifteen other cats are passing the winter mast up and I've never eard of any problem.

Personnally, i remove the trampoline, all the blocks and the ropes that can be removed without lowering the mast. So the main and the spi halyard are staying there as well as the jib furler.

--
    AB
    --
  • At our beach they store our masts indoors, so almost everyone takes the mast down. I would think the extra 6 months of mast banging around on the shrouds would not be good for the shrouds. I take the tramp off as well for the winter. Basically just hulls and beams left on the beach.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • smfinley would think the extra 6 months of mast banging around on the shrouds would not be good for the shrouds.

Your all standing rigging, including shroud/bridle anchors will accumulate fatigue damage. This does't mean they will immediately fail, but will affect the lifetime and reliability your rigging. You can minimize this by removing any play from your rigging with some ropes, or just take 5 minutes to take the mast down and not to worry about it.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • My mast came down one winter. Result was my having to replace the ball rod in my N5.8NA twice that year. Standing rigging failed later that summer. My advice to any and all. Take your mast down and safely store it. Winter storms beat the heck out of the masts and rigging no matter how tight you make them.
  • Yeah we generally don't get high winter winds here. I'm as far away from a coast as you can get. That being said I took my boats apart anyway, probably wouldn't have hurt it but it will give me a chance to examine the upper mast and fittings next spring.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.