Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

wetsuit or trousers  Bottom

• I am looking to sail in cold weather: air probably in the 50s and 60s, and water probably in the 70s, though I cannot find any information on lake water temperature trends by month - bad internet search; the data must be out there.

What clothing should I wear? I see wet-suits and sailing bibs/trousers/salopettes. The bibs etc. seem to be the right way to go except when you flip your boat. Then they just get heavy from soaking up all the water.

What are you using?

Also, if you have children, what do you use for them without going broke?

Thanks!

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • Water in the 70s and wind 50 to 60s?
    I'm in a drysuit.
    There is nothing as miserable as being cold for hours.
    I beiieve money spent on safe and comfortable is well spent.

You kids may be able to get by with a long wetsuit- 4/3.
    Maybe some of the parents here will chime in.

My son is older (24) and tried a wetsuit in these conditions.
    He shivered for the last hour of the race, and in the following years used a drysuit.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Couldn't go wrong with drysuit. However a good full wetsuit under a wind proof top and pants should work also. More like rain pants just to keep the wind off, so it won't hold water and get heavy. Gloves, booties, neoprene cap are also keys to staying warm.

For kids used gear is the old recommendation I have. Hope to buy and sell for about the same price so some cost up front, but hopefully you can get bigger sizes for about what you sell the smaller ones. Don't know your kids age, but I still remember 20+ years ago being a skinny teen freezing on the water since I had no body mass to keep me warm in a wetsuit. Was warmer body surfing in the water than sailing on it.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • At it's coldest around here I an in a fleece lined spray top, and spray bibs with a full layer of polypropylene (available at Academy) underneath. I personally get too warm with anything more on.

Many of the regional group uses the micro fleece Zhik stuff, I keep hearing pretty good reviews on it. My wife has a set and she is happy even on our coldest races. The Zhik stuff is pricey, but they do much to support local regattas in the way of raffle items and such. I think I will get myself a set this year for sailing December-Febuary.

I can't stand to wear a dry suit.
  • i too hate wet suits - i have dry bibs that are amazing but caution must be used in anything besides a wet suit.
    fall in and if you have anything open (cuff. collar, etc) and you are now wearing a sinking bag o'water

i personally avoid fleece these days after a solo capsize. i weight 299999 lbs due to the wet fleece can couldn't get back on my boat. had to strip off the fleece first.
  • Yesterday we took both the 5.7 & 5.0 out for nearly 3 hours.
    Air Temp 16C (61F), water 15C (59F).
    Bright sunny day, weather buoy 15 miles away showed NNW 16kts, gusting 20. From that direction it blasts over some small hills & valleys, giving some localized gusts quite a bit stronger.
    I wore a 3mm farmer john, with a 3mm longsleeve wetsuit jacket. I also had an unlined windbreaker. Bare feet & hands. After the first hour I was sweaty, could have done with either the long sleeve jacket, or windbreaker, both was overkill.
    My buddy was using the same setup, with addition of socks. He splashed it, not once, or twice, but four freaking times,(claimed he was overheating).
    He got pretty good at solo righting the 5.0. His first swim was only 10 minutes into the day, (leaving main cleated while crossing tramp to clear a rudder of weeds), so he was in a wet wetsuit the entire 3 hours.
    He said he was never cold, in fact we both had to do some wading to put the boats to bed, then had a dock beer before changing. Neither of us are endowed with much natural insulation.
    I think using both pieces of the wetsuit is a good idea, just in case you go swimming, or have an equipment failure that results in waiting a number of hours for rescue.
    For the OP conditions, a farmer john, with longsleeve top in a 3/3, or 4/3 should be plenty. With water in the 70's, I never bring out the booties.
    For the kids look on Craiglist. Lots of people try scuba, get all the gear, then give it up. Ditto for kitesurfing etc.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • removed

Edited by MN3 on Oct 08, 2015 - 12:16 PM.
  • a 3 mm farmer John is the most versatile cold weather gear you can own. Together with a splash top you'll be good to go in most late/early season conditions. NRS ultra John is the best I have found by far. It has a relief zipper, ankle zips and is lined with a wicking fleece they call vapor loft. It reduces that clammy wetsuit feeling for sure
    I just spent last weekend wearing mine at a hobie regatta and I was dry and comfy the whole time
    http://www.nrs.com/product/22201/nrs-30-ultra-john-wetsuit
  • I totally agree on a farmer john. I used to sail in 40 degree water and 40 degree wind - under those conditions I would wear a 4/3mm sealed full wetsuit, boots and gloves, with a full body wind-proof layer over the top. I never got too cold even if I went in. With that getup in 70 degree water and 50 to 60 degree air I would have been close to passing out from overheating (trust me, I've done it and it's no fun).

A 3mm farmer john can be worn with no top, a 1mm or 2mm thin top or the 3mm top that came with the farmer john. The main thing is to put something windproof over the top, either just your top or full length. When it gets colder you add boots and gloves, and you can slip a 2mm shortie under the farmer john for lovely toastiness. A 1mm top is a wonderful piece of gear - that can go underneath too to give you mega-layered warmth.

In terms of wetsuit material, make sure you go for something nice and flexible (most decent wetsuits are beautifully flexible these days. Get single lined rather than double lined (single = neoprene on the outside, double = fabric layer on the outside). Single lined suits are warmer and more flexible, but prone to damage - that's why a single lined suit with a splash-suit over the top is just perfect for cat sailing.

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • A splash (spray) suit: http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/2016-crewsaver-one-piece-spray-suit-6570-p-33.html No insulation, no padding, nothing to get waterlogged: Just a suit that keeps the wind from chilling you and protects whatever you wear underneath from nicks and snags.

A 2mm/1mm top: perfect for layering! Everyone should own one of these: http://www.tactics.com/xcel/axis-smoothskin-2-1mm-back-zip-jacket/black

Edited by sjbrit on Oct 08, 2015 - 12:55 PM.

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.