Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Getting restarted: looking for advice on the right cat  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• sjbrit
    So what do you think? I'll probably have a budget of around $10k tops. I'm pretty proficient in hull-repairs and not averse to replacing a baggy set of sails, so I have no problem going with an older cat.

Thanks! - Adrian.

Adrian,

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com! You are locating to a beachcat sailing paradise, congrats!

Wanted to thank you for your excellent first post. We get a lot of "which beachcat should I buy" posts and they are usually completely devoid of information that would help advise.

Reading your first post I probably would have said buy a nice newer model Hobie 16, it will come back to you and is the easiest to find and fits all your bullet points just fine.

However one of the most important things about choosing a beachcat is the community of fellow sailors and your local sailors have their own thing going that is working. So joining in with a Mystere or G-Cat makes a lot of sense.

Whatever you buy keep a substantial budget for new sails, nothing cranks up the cool and the performance like new sails.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks, Damon. I do miss that old Hobie, but I think my wife has had enough of me launching her into oblivion as I try to bury the nose and point a bit higher! Her boss was ready to report me for domestic violence once after she hit every bit of standing rigging on the way down after a particularly epic pitch-pole and ended up bruised from head to toe! Ahh - those were the days....

I've been thinking along the lines you suggest: looking for a solid older cat at a decent price and kitting it out with some shiny new sales. I see some aftermarket sailmakers are producing square top sales for older models which would make a nice upgrade. Looking at the Mystere and Nacra I think that could end up working rather nicely. I can come back and add an asymmetric when we've got ourselves dialed back in and are feeling the need for some more speed.

I'm pretty excited: after years of sailing in the UK I'm pretty stoked about the idea of sailing without worrying about hypothermia!

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • sjbritwhere were you sailing?

st joesephs sound
    QuoteDo you run an asymmetric? What kind?

Tornado olympic spins (we used to have a hook up for lightly used gear from pro racers via a local racer

QuoteIt also looks like you had a nifty spot for some temporary extra storage up there.

yes, custom front tramp from sunrise yacht
    it has a pocket underneath it with a double velcrow flap for 2 rightingbags
    has a pocket on top for the anchor and room for a cooler or other gear as well.
  • QuoteI'm pretty excited: after years of sailing in the UK I'm pretty stoked about the idea of sailing without worrying about hypothermia!

I've sailed in the UK. brrrrr

It's just about the sailing season here in the gulf and it's nice but the water does get down to the 50's in the winter ... so it still is not always "warm". i wear a dry bib in the colder months
  • MN3I've sailed in the UK. brrrrr

I've actually stomped though ice around the shore to go windsurfing - it seemed virtuous at the time but now it just seems crazy! I'm all over being in water so cold it feels like your skull is going to crack open when you go under....

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • Quote I'm all over being in water so cold it feels like your skull is going to crack open when you go under....

there is a guy on catsailor.com who built his own prindle16 in the north sea. he tows it out the beach with his john deer and sails in CRAZY conditions.... if you are a sailor.. your gonna find a way.

Dunedin Cup, last weekend
    cat div (there were many divs)
    http://asnstudios.com/images/ddc15.jpg
    Mystere's were tragically under-represented (only 1, a 5.5 with my old sail) - not typical

Edited by MN3 on Sep 28, 2015 - 06:44 PM.
  • MN3if you are a sailor.. your gonna find a way.

Amen to that!

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • Adrian,
    There is also the possibility of adding wings to any of these cats. Wings add comfort and room. You can remove them when you want to go solo and hang on the wire.

--
    Prindle 18 w/ wings, Prindle 16, Prindle 15, current
    Hobie 16 in rebuild
    2 Hobie 18 past
    NACRA 5.2 past

Saint Cloud, Florida
    member Lake Eustis Sail Club
    http://www.lakeeustissailingclub.org
    --
  • Check out that 15 foot SuperCat in good deals.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • QuoteThere is also the possibility of adding wings to any of these cats. Wings add comfort and room.

+1

Get a H18 with wings! Your wife will love it. icon_cool

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • just like every different boat design - wings have pros and cons

Pros
    nice to have with good air
    They are great for extra room
    they rock for crew (with good air)
    can aid in righting in some ways (i.e a place to stand for added leverage, and i have a hiking-strap on mine that can be stood on after a flip to get to anything on the tramp/deck)

Cons
    They add a good deal of weight
    they are not so easy to put on or take off the boat(solo)
    they add a little time to boat set up, break down, cleaning and tarping
    they can add to the job of righting a boat (extra weight and windage)
    aftermarket wings are not cheap nor easy to find
    even stock ones are often not optimally designed and many have/cause structural issues

my wing
    http://asnstudios.com/images/wingq.jpg
    my buddy zack on his mystere 5.5 with added wings
    http://asnstudios.com/images/zaC.jpg

Edited by MN3 on Sep 30, 2015 - 08:53 PM.
  • Don't rule out the N20. Currently the best bang for the buck, and was designed as a spin boat. Plenty of them out there in your price range.

--
    Philip
    --
  • I've always been in two minds about wings. I've never actually sailed with them, but they do seem to have their benefits. On the other hand my view has always been skewed by the lack of adoption: they are pretty rare. Surely if they were so great everyone would be offering them in their line-up, with all kinds of after-market options?

Philip, that N20 looks like a bit of a handful singlehanded, no? I'd worry about getting that beast back upright by myself.

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • I agree I have wings for my Nacra 5.7 but I also love to trapeze so I'm torn. If you are going to do significant solo sailing the wings substantially simplify things because you can achieve the same counterbalance as trapesing by just sitting on the wings and hiking out.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • If i only had 1 boat, with wings...

i would take them off for the light air season (late spring all summer) and put them on for the windier season (fall/early spring)

Dave as you can see my friend above. you can trap off the wings. I have been on a mystere 6.0 with 2 on the wire (off the wing), skipper on the wing ... it was a hoot!

That being said, I wouldn't allow that on my boat. too much weight and heavy air = broken parts (more often than appropriate weight in any air)

Edited by MN3 on Sep 30, 2015 - 08:51 PM.
  • I think the only reason I would go for wings is to increase my solo wind range, but certainly not as a substitute for trapping.

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • It's no harder to right then any of the other boats. It's more of a handful when racing single handed, not so much when recreation sailing.

--
    Philip
    --
  • OK, so here's where I think I am:

• First choice: N570/5.7. I love the simplicity of skeg hulls and no boom. These seem to be hard to find on the second-hand market though.
    • Close second: Mystere 5.5. Lots of good local support and more availability, although a little harder to find parts.
    • If none of those, then probably a daggerboard boat which opens up a whole new pile of research (N5.8, P18, H18 etc.)

When it comes down to it it will be all about what's available and the condition of the hulls - sails I'm not so fussed about since they are easily replaced.

We just put in an offer on a house today, so fingers crossed! Then my SeaRay Bowrider goes on the market to fund the cat. Anyone need a power boat? icon_cool

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • Good luck with everything (the house, the power-boat, the cat, etc)
    i sent you a Private Message with my contact info if you have any questions about the boats i have, or the local area / sailing area

sjbritOK, so here's where I think I am:

• First choice: N570/5.7. I love the simplicity of skeg hulls and no boom. These seem to be hard to find on the second-hand market though.
    • Close second: Mystere 5.5. Lots of good local support and more availability, although a little harder to find parts.
    • If none of those, then probably a daggerboard boat which opens up a whole new pile of research (N5.8, P18, H18 etc.)

When it comes down to it it will be all about what's available and the condition of the hulls - sails I'm not so fussed about since they are easily replaced.

We just put in an offer on a house today, so fingers crossed! Then my SeaRay Bowrider goes on the market to fund the cat. Anyone need a power boat? icon_cool

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.