Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hiking strap replacement idea (tramp on boat)  Bottom

• So I had an idea, Just want to make sure i'm not totally insane in thinking this is a good idea.

my hiking straps have rotted away. tramp is still serviceable. i won't be replacing it this year, i'd like to get another season or two out of it.

So i'm planning to put #4 spur grommets in the tramp everywhere the hiking straps where originally stitched (at the reinforcements) i'll then be able to loop some line through and tie on a new hiking strap(or some line as a temporary measure while i get proper length straps made with loops at both ends).

I will use the existing grommets at the bottom of the tramp for the bottom connection, and i'll put one grommet in at the top of the tramp (for each strap) and i was thinking i will loop the cross beam with the line i connect the strap to so as to not have the old tramp and grommet taking all the strain. Then two grommets each at the two reinforced points in the middle of the tramp with a simple loop through each.

Can I do this with the tramp still on the boat? i'm planning to just use a 24" 4x4, a cinder block and some 2x6 to assist in cutting the tramp and setting the grommets (basically to give me a portable work surface to cut the holes and pound the grommets). I guess my concern is that the tramp will be under a bit of tension (i'll make sure it is loose). I won't have a lot of help, i plan to do it this weekend and i want to do it as quickly as possible so i can get to sailing and not lose most of my long weekend fiddling about with projects.

I figure i don't' have much to lose, but i don't' want to ruin my currently serviceable tramp if this is really a terrible idea. But i would like to get hiking straps as it will make it more comfortable (secure feeling) for my non sailing passengers.

Thanks for the feedback and reality check.

--
    1987 Nacra 5.8
    1978 Isotope (sold)
    --
  • I doubt you will be able to install grommets without removing the tramp. And if you remove it, sewing a new strap is easier and cleaner than putting grommets everywhere.. Either sewing the strap directly or a short piece like for belts on pants (sorry my english is limited..).

Another way to avoid removing the tramp is leaving short pieces of the old straps where you can add grommets to connect sections of new straps (also with grommets at each end, or sewn loops). I would say that the sacrifice in elegance is worth an afternoon of sailing instead of messing around with the tramp..

Edited by Andinista on Sep 02, 2015 - 06:23 PM.
  • Andinista, unfortunately when i got the boat the hiking straps were very already completely rotten, I wouldn't trust a grommet in the material that is left, and there is basically no material left in other areas where i need it.

That's why i was thinking if i can get a something under the tramp to act as a table, i will be able to set the grommets in the tramp. it would be easier to take the tramp off for sure to install the grommets, but i'm a bit worried about having to take one of the hulls free on my 30yr old boat.

and then if i restitch the straps, they are once again impossible to replace without taking the tramp off. Perhaps i never replace them again on this tramp, but when i replace my tramp i'd actually like to use grommets rather than stitched hiking straps for this reason. so i guess this is a bit of a dry run.

This boat will be stored on the beach so it's gonna always face pretty tough conditions.

--
    1987 Nacra 5.8
    1978 Isotope (sold)
    --
  • I think your idea will work fine,you just need to get a very solid surface under the tramp to punch the holes, and set the grommets, which it sounds like you have planned. The tramp on my ARC 22 has straps that are secured to grommets like you're proposing, I like the system, it much easier to replace the straps when needed. Just make sure you have sufficient reinforcement material where the grommets are inserted.

Dave
  • I personally have found it better to melt holes into synthetic fabric rather than "punch it". I heat up the punch with a torch and let it melt through. Its easy and it seals the edge of the hole.

--
    Geno Hacker
    Lake Isabella, California
    Supercat 20, 1/2 of a B-Lion, H18, P16, H14
    --
  • genehackerI personally have found it better to melt holes into synthetic fabric rather than "punch it". I heat up the punch with a torch and let it melt through. Its easy and it seals the edge of the hole.

I believe this will not last with the on again off again loads of a hiking strap - (imho) you need a grommet

YES you can add grommets to a tramp on the boat with the help of a sturdy base (ie driveway) and a 2x4 that is the correct length

I have done this to add grommets to my tramps in the past.

But for an area that takes loads, and you are is hanging over the side of your boat at time ... and catostrphic things can happen if your hiking strap breaks... this grommet probably deserves a fabric patch sewn onto the tramp, and then the grommet added to the center of that.
  • You could also install a belt loop with a riveted or bolted plate at each end:

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/01-1001.jpg

http://slhlaser.com.au/la…gs/50-hiking-strap-plate

At the front beam just add an eyestrap, maybe underneath the beam if you want to make sure to apply lateral force to it rather than pulling it straight out.

Edited by Andinista on Sep 03, 2015 - 08:47 AM.
  • Thanks for the ideas. I really like the idea of using heat to melt the punched holes then inserting the grommet, that's a good pro trip Gene.

I only plan to add a grommet where there is already a reinforcement from the previously sewn hiking straps, so all grommets will be in reinforced material designed to take the load of a hiking strap. Since the reinforced areas aren't that big i don't think i can use the batten end cap "belt loop" idea. although i have thought about adding an eye-strap to the beam, but i figure with a grommet at the front of the tramp i can just as easily run a line all the way around the beam and through the tramp at the grommet, there will be much less load on the grommet in that configuration.

Well I plan to do it this weekend weather permitting (it's a bit touch and go right now).

Edited by icon149 on Sep 03, 2015 - 10:32 AM.

--
    1987 Nacra 5.8
    1978 Isotope (sold)
    --
  • Just an update for prosperity.

So i replaced the hiking straps with the trampoline on the boat and no sewing. I cut the strap itself to length, folded over each end and installed a grommet at each end of the strap. I worked alone so it took longer than it should, with a helper to move the block and grommet die this would go really quick.

Nice to have a confidence inspiring set of straps again.

installed strap (i tried to add a twist, and i simply used some 1/4" line i had available, i think 1" webbing might be nicer but this worked out just fine and was cheap and easy)
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=119859&g2_serialNumber=6

Here is the installed grommet. I originally planned to put two grommet in at each of the tie points in the middle so the strap would lie flat, but i decided it would be best to minimize the number of holes i punch in my old tramp.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=119862&g2_serialNumber=6

I added a 1/2 SS fender washer underneath to distribute the load across the grommet and trampoline. in hindsight i don't think this really was necessary at all.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=119865&g2_serialNumber=6

I'm not sure my trampoline will out live another set of straps, but if it does the next pair will be very easy to replace!

Edited by icon149 on Sep 10, 2015 - 05:37 PM.

--
    1987 Nacra 5.8
    1978 Isotope (sold)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.