Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

G Cat5.7 help  Bottom

• I got a G cat 5.7 cheap and hope to restore it. I have done all the hull repair I design and build kayaks so this was the easy part for me, and now I need to focus on the rigging. I have never seen a G Cat rigged so I am sure this will be an adventure. The spreaders are not on the mast but I can see where a mount has been removed. Does anyone have the dimensions of the spreaders or a picture of how theirs is rigged, what the mount looks like? Looking for any suggestion on some options for fixing this. I think I have all the other rigging and have found a source for 2 main sails but no jibs. Would a jib from a Prindle 18 work? Thanks for any help you can give me.

--
    Scott Baxter
    G CAt 5.7 about 20 sea kayaks and a sculling wherry
    Salt Lake City Utah
    --
  • There are a few G cat people here. Andrew,(MN3) sails with Hans G, the origin behing G cat. If all else fails, copy the Nacra 5.7 spreader, the boats are rather similar.
    There must be people here who trailer sail a 5.7, & can measure it for you.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I believe your mast is either from a Hobie 18 or a Gcat 5.0. IIRC the mast base looks like it was either made as a replacement (and has a broken tab so would be really hard to step but could be used) or is from a Hobie 18 and the mast has spreaders already. I'm not sure what became of the two G-cat mains that were with the two boats, but I don't believe they had jibs. We may have a jib you could buy (

--
    Small sailboat designer, builder, and Cat Sailor. 8' Keelboat, Hobie Fox,Prindle 16.
    Rear Commodore, Utah Lake Yacht Club - Mostly sail Hobie Fox (Formula-20)
    --
  • I believe your mast is either from a Hobie 18 or a Gcat 5.0. IIRC the mast base looks like it was either made as a replacement (and has a broken tab so would be really hard to step but could be used) or is from a Hobie 18 and the mast has spreaders already. I'm not sure what became of the two G-cat mains that were with the two boats, but I don't believe they had jibs. We may have a jib you could buy (

--
    Small sailboat designer, builder, and Cat Sailor. 8' Keelboat, Hobie Fox,Prindle 16.
    Rear Commodore, Utah Lake Yacht Club - Mostly sail Hobie Fox (Formula-20)
    --
  • scottbWould a jib from a Prindle 18 work? Thanks for any help you can give me.

The P18 jib is a tad bit smaller than an OEM G-Cat jib, but it will work. The OEM G-cat jib tacks onto the front cross beam which makes it longer in the luff dimension than the P18 jib that tacks at the bridle wire junction. (see the photos in the folder on this website inside the catamaran ID tab)

Sidebar here: I actually prefer sailing the G-cat with a boom, I have and use a P-18 mainsail with boom and find I can control sail shape much better than the original boom less G-cat mainsail.

The G-cat spreaders are the adjustable type, I will get some photos and dimensions and add the pictures to the G-cat folder.

--
    'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.