Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H-18 Jib sheets getting doubled over and snarled in jib blocks  Bottom

• Would appreciate any input concerning jib sheet management and placement. Sheets appear to be a little over sized to me, so I don't understand how this could be occurring. What is the correct size line for H-18 {84} jib blocks. Should I be coiling excess line? Jib sheet always seems to be in the wrong position and partially snarled. Best way to position and handle excess line? Thanks for your suggestions! Newbie

boudreaux
  • Mostly a handling/house keeping issue I think. It is more or less the nature of the beast on the H18. The jib sheets frequently cause problems either with the sheet getting wrapped around the block or being sit on by one of the crew members during a tack. A good crew will be aware of this and make sure the sheet is clear and most of the slack on the "lazy" sheet is taken out before a tack. As skipper, I always tend to look forward right after the tack and if the jib is still on the wrong side, I immediately know to look down at the cleat and check to see if the sheet has fouled or accidentally re-cleated.

We run Harken 2.25" hexaratchet and bullet jib blocks with 3/8" diameter sheet. Fouling sheets can happen with any system though, you just need to be aware of it and know how to prevent/react.

sm
  • First make sure your jib blocks are correct. There should be a stand-up spring between the blocks and the traveler slide that helps a little in orienting the block. If that is missing or broken the jib will really flop around.

Mainly jib sheet management is keeping the excess sheet between the blocks. Make sure your crew is always aware of where the total jib sheet is and how the blocks are oriented. On each tack visually run the entire sheet to make sure it's not hung on anything or anybody.

At the mast make sure you are using the bungee jam preventer that runs in an inverted V shape from dolphin striker support up to through the diamond wire base and back down to the striker support rod. This keeps the jib sheet from hanging on the rotator and getting jammed in the mast base.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.