Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Tiller extension advice  Bottom

• Need a tiller extension, i bent mine (simple aluminum that came with the boat) when i fell off... yeah don't ask, it was my 2nd time out with the trapeze and i came unhooked when i shifted to move my butt back, well i moved it back all right, held on to the main sheet as well as the tiller, got back on the boat and sailed away with style... but a broken tiller.

So i noticed i can get a replacement aluminum extensions for about $60 on murrays, this seems like the most economical solution.

So what makes the more expensive sticks worth the price? is a arriba really worth 120$ more? I'm not sure i have the budget for it, but then again, if the aluminum tillers just don't hold up, they may not be cheaper after all.

so for a budget minded sailor, completely recreational, no organized racing, what are the drawbacks to the cheap-o aluminum stick?

Thanks for the opinions.

--
    1987 Nacra 5.8
    1978 Isotope (sold)
    --
  • Get the Aruba. Often you can find used. I've had six and never bought any. They come with boats I buy cheap and part out. I the three now sold off the extras at bout 100 ea. michigan hobie exchange on fb.

--
    Ron Grand Rapids, MI
    Fleet #519
    West Michigan Catamaran Sailors

2000 Hobie 18SX
    1984 Hobie 16 restored, new sails and spinnaker.
    --
  • Few tiller extensions survive that type of dismount. Telescoping extensions are more convenient than fixed poles, I've adapted telescoping alum boat hooks from West Marine successfully, they go on sale occasionally for under $25. You just remove the hook, and adapt the the tubing to your existing swivel.

Check the parts classifieds here, contact Pete Begle and see what he's got.

Dave
  • You can still break the Arriba tiller extensions, though the fiberglass Arriba's (FX series) are pretty tough. The CX series are tough but brittle and snap easily, plus cost a fortune ($500 at last check). I personally have used 3 or 4 different tiller extensions over the years:

1) Arriba FX-6, it's heavy, pretty bomb proof, doesn't flex, works well enough

2) Arriba HX-6ish stick, this is a custom tiller they don't make anymore (I think), it has kevlar in it, is lightweight and pretty bomb proof. It is my go-to extension for gnarly day sailing.

3) Nacra tiller extension. This is my everyday extension. Reasonably priced (about $220), full carbon so is ultra lightweight and works very well, being lockable in either direction of twist. I have the $500 bill from the bow damage on my last boat when the Arriba slipped on the start line at Nationals and we clipped someones rudders. Much less likely to happen with the Nacra.

4) Hobie Wildcat extension-full carbon, didn't use much as I've been told it breaks easily.

All that being said, one of the F16 sailors at our club goes through tiller extensions regularly (the Blade is a bit iffy doublehanded...)...he's moved to PVC pipe.

Also, don't leave any carbon or fiberglass extensions out in the sun.
  • Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for something used bought the Murray aluminum just to get the boat back on the water by Labor Day. The Arribas were sold out. I will see about getting some aluminum tubing to repair my damaged one. Maybe next year I'll pony up for something nicer. I'll focus on staying on the boat the rest of this year.

--
    1987 Nacra 5.8
    1978 Isotope (sold)
    --
  • If price was no object, I would buy the Spinlock EA2000s. I just can't bring myself to throw down that much dough.
    Right now I'm running on a telescoping mop pole of some sort that came on the boat. I beefed it up and stuck a cork ball on the end. It works great. It doesn't look real stylish but so what.

http://www.shopsoundboatw…nz7JXJ0ccCFYoTHwodkcsCyA

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • I second the telescoping boat hook! Every bit as tough as the original (yes, you can take that two ways) and cheap enough for anyone to afford. They work well for me; YMMV.
    I adapted a boat hook by cutting off the end and bending the stainless steel original universal joint to fit. It really works well.
  • Ugh....Spinlock is a big boat tiller extension. Seeing that handle on a beachcat would just scare me.

Marstrom used to make a nice tiller extension if you were looking to throw down >$500

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.