Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New Sails for a Nacra  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Oh, I've seen some SLO Canvas tramps in the local fleet, they are a quality product. Buy with confidence there!
  • QuoteAs to overseas vendors, that isn't always the case. For example, I have found all my dealings with the British cat sailing community to be top notch.

I am sure it's not always the case.. just saying your ability to have any recourse is diminished when dealing with non-us vendors

Having personally been screwed over by a vendor in the usa makes me even more reluctant to go overseas. If there was cash money involved in my situation (and not a very used trampoline that was never returned) i would have filed a small claims case. Can't do that with a company in the Netherlands

Plus i prefer to support american companies whenever possible (says the guy on a Canadian catamaran, with more than 1 European sail in my storage area)

I think the sails look great, and the spin attachments shouldn't be a big deal to fix... but sucks x30 that you have to put more patches in it ... esp on brand new gear
  • schoen.steveThanks for all the input and suggestions!

http://www.metroix.net/images/stevesboat.jpg

That's a really good looking sail, and it looks like you no how to have fun on your N20!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • http://www.metroix.net/images/stevesboat.jpg[/quote]

What is the orange tape on the top of your mast/sail ?
  • 1. Been trying to contact them for several weeks, like 3-4. Frustrating. Purchased through the guys in Illinois ...Nacra North America. Like I said, hopefully they are just busy with the Olympics!
    2. I have SLO Canvas tramp. First one they sent was 2 inches short so I sent it back with my old tramp for a template and they replaced it at no cost. Had them customize it with a couple more eyelets in it so I could bungie up my spin sheet. Side lace. Works great and love it.
    3. Had my sister and her kids on the boat at the time waiting for the camera boat to catch up (20ft pontoon with a 150HP motor...HA!) so my sails were not in the most favorable position. The two trap'ing out are my 8 yr old niece and 11 yr old nephew. They loved it.
    4. Additional pic's - no problem, heading north this weekend for some boat time so I will be able to post them Tuesday.
    5. Orange tape - streamers which fowled up. Attached them to the battens strings. They don't work to well off of the top most batten. See the blue one on the next batten. I fly stunt kites so a little line laundry.

--
    Steve
    Nacra Inter 20
    Okemos Michigan
    --
  • schoen.steveEnded up ordering a polyester laminate set

Steve,

Do you know what brand/model the actual sailcloth is?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • If you don't mind me asking, with all the excellent sail makers like Glaser, Schurr, EP, etc... that have that have built sails for the 20... why did you go with a overseas manufacture?

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • EP sails are slow.

Not sure how Schurr is. They had a fast boat in the Florida 300
    but were running way oversized sails, the N20 main is big enough stock EP, just not efficient

Glaser are good, very good, but one of the most expensive options at present, with the euro and pound down.

Performance have been building N20 sails in Europe for decades and have won the past two F18 worlds. They are fast, very fast sails and well built. They generally use Contender Apen 06 in their sails: http://www.contenderus.com/laminates/racing-laminaat-apen.html
  • samc99us

Glaser are good, very good, but one of the most expensive options at present, with the euro and pound down.

You're still under $5K for a new wardrobe with Glaser... with a $0.10 difference in the euro it is still a wash after you factor in freight, duty tax, customs fee, and the aggravation... I looked at Performance for a new wardrobe for my F-18, and the euro was a lot stronger at the time. AAMOF I was going to have one of my work mates in Alphen aan den Rijn go pick them up and ship to me to avoid paying the taxes, but that failed as he would have had to have paid a VAT In the end it was about a $200 difference between them and Glaser when it was all said and done.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Hey everyone,

I've been in touch with Steve and apologized for being hard to get ahold of for a bit. Entirely my fault and his issues are sorted. We rarely have issues with shipping but our normal parts team was out of the office and the guy that shipped it left out some information.

Steve's Sails are Contender C242 Polyester Laminate. Same cloth we use on the Nacra 15, Nacra 460, 500, and 570.
    I suggested this cloth to Steve as it's less expensive and handles abuse better. It does stretch a little more but it's very minor and you really won't notice unless your seriously racing. I personally find Pentex horrible as any little crease shows and affects sail shape. This polyester is a bit more durable in that regard.
    Performance Sails has this cloth custom made in Red, Blue, Green, and White.

Performance Sails are made in house at Nacra in Holland. We can ship to the U.S. for the same price as shipping within the U.S.
    Seems that I'm always correcting Sam, but Nacra / Performance Sails have won the last 3 worlds. But so little of that comes down to the sails versus the sailor. Our sails have definitely been noticed by sailors over the last couple years for quality and performance. It takes sailing at the top levels to recognize development and implement it into your own sails. Luckily we have very talented sailors as owners of Nacra and Performance sails who help develop the sails from the knowledge they've gained from the F18, N17, 20FCS, and etc.

If anyone has more questions about the sails please do not hesitate to contact me: Todd@NacraSailing.com
    Don't forget to support beachcats.com sponsors ;)

Regards,
    Todd Riccardi
    Nacra North America
  • nacrasailingSteve's Sails are Contender C242 Polyester Laminate. Same cloth we use on the Nacra 15, Nacra 460, 500, and 570.

Todd,

I can't find the fact sheet on anything labeled C242. Contender has kind of a spread of websites for different countries so maybe I'm not finding the right one. Found this list of downloads
    http://contendersailcloth.com/downloads.html

Could you link me to the facts for the C242 cloth? Also are there any pics of the Performance Sails in the colors you mention? The site I found for Performance Sails was http://www.performancesails.com/ but no details.

I'm always complaining that our sails have all gone grey, kind of like most of the sailors. icon_confused

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Thanks Todd, good info
    QuoteIf anyone has more questions about the sails please do not hesitate to contact me:
    Don't forget to support beachcats.com sponsors ;)

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.