Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra Colors and Pinstriping  Bottom

• With recent fiberglass repairs to my 5.0, I had to remove some of the pinstriping. For now I'm touching up, not redoing everything. Questions:

My boat is a 1983 model of the red/orange/gold color scheme:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113628&g2_serialNumber=3

Does anyone have any leftover stripping, about 3 yards of each width and color, lying around they would be willing to part with?

When I'm ready for a full redo, perhaps in another season or three, is it possible to obtain a full graphics/stripping kit or do you have to have it custom made special order?

Does anyone have and/or know where to find the pinstripe color codes/widths an lettering font specifications?

Is there a vendor that specializes in cat graphics that sells the entire kit?

Since these hulls are a series of compound curves (no nice flat/square reference points) how do you know where to position the decals and lastly get the pinstriping straight?

Thanks in advance.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Even Performance Catamaran (the makers of the boat) probably doesn't have the color codes etc. Give Murray's Marine a call, they bought out all the old stock when Performance Cat went out of business and could have some logo decals. I know they used to stock the big hull decals at one time.

You can also try Dave at Nacra Canada, http://www.nacra.ca/ he may be able to order something. You can even try Nacra Europe where the boats are now made http://www.nacrasailing.com/

Otherwise you are going to have to do what everyone else has and either live with the old ones or get a new set made up. A few guys on here have actually masked an painted theirs but that seems like a lot of work.

I've ordered most of my decals from here and been happy http://www.military-graphics.com/ but I didn't get any custom made by them.

25 years ago I worked for a decal manufacturer who made tractor trailor decals and did a few installations. For the main logo you can use the old windex trick. Mix a 50% dilute windex mixture and spray it on the surface. Apply your decal onto the soapy water. Position and squeegee out any air pockets with a plastic scraper (you can get those at any hardware store). The soapy water allows you to reposition and get bubbles out without screwing up the adhesive. Once it dries the decal will be pretty much permanent. As far as stripes, I would say mark some registration points based on your current decal placement and take your time. THat is a super finicky job!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks Dave. Very good info.. I've read a few posts on here about folks with "vector" files from which graphics can be generated at sign shops etc.. I will try your sources for the availability of such a file.

I was hoping to find some left over striping tape in the correct colors to avoid buying 50-100 ft. rolls of the stuff for the purpose of a small touch up. Plus, matching the stuff up it seems to me is hit and miss unless you have a local dealer where you can actually see and compare samples.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • I have a very similar situation with my Nacra but opted to wait to do anything about it till next year like you. I have been mulling over how to redo the striping and the logo and thought of taking it to a vinyl graphics company to see what it would cost to have them redone. Fortunately my neighbor does vinyl graphics for a living so he might be able to hook me up.

--
    NACRA 5.0 (current)
    Hobie 16 90945 (current) Rehabbed and sold to many to count.
    Hobie 18 (formerly)
    Hobie 17 (formerly)
    Hobie 14 (formerly)
    Goshen, IN
    --
  • I contacted the folks Dave references above with no results on colors, fonts etc..

I did visit my local FastSigns shop and they had vinyl that compared as follows (top are their samples bottom are actual pieces of the stripes off my boat from the repair area)

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=119675&g2_serialNumber=3

Since I only need about a yard of each color, I will probably go this route for now. They thought about $ 15 would do it, cut to the widths I specify. I know this doesn't help much, but it's better than nothing.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • I stripped off the striping and logos on my SC 15. They were causing dirt streaks down the hulls. I used a variable temp heat gun, putty knives, ScotchBrite pads, Lacquer thinner and curses. If I put on new stripes I think I'll go with paint.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.