Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

NACRA 5.0 weight distribution  Bottom

• Coming from a background of almost solely sailing a Hobie 16 I was wondering if weight distribution on the 5.0 was similar? I have been sailing like it was a Hobie 16 as far as weight distribution and it seems to be working.

I have sailed the boat twice now, once with crew and once solo and in no more than 10mph winds. I like the boat and the way it handles. One thing that is going to take some getting used to is where the jib blocks are attached. For some reason every time I tack I end up on top of the block, kinda makes it hard to uncleat, lol. Other than that I am really enjoying it. I really like not having to worry so much about submarining the hull.

--
    NACRA 5.0 (current)
    Hobie 16 90945 (current) Rehabbed and sold to many to count.
    Hobie 18 (formerly)
    Hobie 17 (formerly)
    Hobie 14 (formerly)
    Goshen, IN
    --
  • When going upwind, don't be afraid to sink the lee hull. Get your weight forward, if that lee bow does not get pushed into the water, you lose pointing ability. It's not a 16, it won't pitchpole.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Oh it will pitch-pole if you push it too hard nowhere near as easy as a 16 though.Had my 5.8 lee hull almost to the crossbar a couple of times

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • You can certainly bury the bows and stop dead going downwind. I've done it on both my 5.2 and 5.7. But I've never had it go completely over or cartwheel that way. Can't say the same about the old hobie 16 though.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks everyone. After sailing the 5.0 a few times now I have noticed it is a lot more forgiving about pushing the lee hull into the water. I am still fighting the urge to slide back on the tramp after experiencing the fun of cartwheeling my Hobie 16 one to many times.

--
    NACRA 5.0 (current)
    Hobie 16 90945 (current) Rehabbed and sold to many to count.
    Hobie 18 (formerly)
    Hobie 17 (formerly)
    Hobie 14 (formerly)
    Goshen, IN
    --
  • QuoteOh it will pitch-pole if you push it too hard

I stand corrected. I have pitched the 5.7 & the 5.0.
    However, you really have to drive it hard. I have buried both of them enough that water was blasting of the front beam, & they came back up.
    What usually happens is they slow down, & if you don't keep your footing, you Peter Pan. If you are sitting at the stern, with foot braced against traveler casting, they will almost always come back up.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Yeah, I have pushed the lee hull up to the beam several times. Not fun if you have someone on the trap but recoverable. My 5.2 likes to be buried up to the bridle, it just seems faster that way.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who helms with a foot on the casting. Been trying to figure out good footrest a little farther back. It will become a non issue if I ever reinstall my wings.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I'm a member of the "foot on the traveler cleat" group too. I had my new tramp made with the footsteps moved inboard as far as possible (right next to the pockets), so I use the straps a lot more now instead of the casting. I'm 6'4", so really couldn't use the straps in the stock location - I was all folded up. Much better now.

As for burying the leeward hull, I agree with all you guys. I've buried mine up to the crossbar and it just slowed down. One day I'm sure that I'll end up pitchpoling it, but so far I haven't (he whispers so the kharma gods don't hear...).

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • I go as far forward as the weather allows on the 5.2. I've pitchpoled once but it was a pretty slow one not violent. I've buried the hull way more times though.
    Push it slowly and you'll regain confidence. I have to get H16 guys to chill out when they sail on my boat. They freak out when I bury to the bow to the bridle like wolfman. It's fast and hard not to do 2-up on the boat.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.