Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

PFD with pockets  Bottom

• I have a decent PFD but don't like the fact that when I sail in foul weather gear there's no good place to stash tools, radio, GPS, EPIRB etc. Browsing around I found this one from Northwest River Supplies for a decent price

http://www.nrs.com/product/2157/nrs-cvest-mesh-back-pfd

Has a couple of pockets to stash some stuff away...and seems to get good reviews.

Curious what other guys use and what your thoughts on this are.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Looks like a nice PFD. I have an Exsport Retroglide which is also a kayaking vest wth pockets. I really like the short length combined with the pockets. NRS makes good stuff in general, so likely a nice piece of equipment.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • NRS has a bunch of youtube clips on their vests and products on tube..I looked it up there again. It's a nice vest even though flotation may be a bit high up since there products are mostly for kayakers. I ended up ordering it. Should be easier dealing with the GPS, VHF, EPIRB etc...

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Kayaking vest with flotation up high has advantages for cat sailing as well. It makes it easier to get to the hook when you are wearing a harness. I also feel like most kayaking PFDs give you more freedom when it comes to arm/upper body movement. Some general use PFDs are more restrictive.

--
    Geno Hacker
    Lake Isabella, California
    Supercat 20, 1/2 of a B-Lion, H18, P16, H14
    --
  • ...I tested the vest last weekend on our sail on Grog's new P19MX ride in South Bay and like it. It's another good addition to the gear arsenal. I'll probably wear it more on open ocean sails just b/c of the extra safety gear needed there. I also picked up an NRS helmet that I saw spfx wear at Tri Point...NRS seems to make solid gear for water sports.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • NRS dose make nice gear, and its usually a pretty good value. I ran into the owner on a Grand Canyon rafting trip about a decade ago, he was a really nice guy.

--
    Geno Hacker
    Lake Isabella, California
    Supercat 20, 1/2 of a B-Lion, H18, P16, H14
    --
  • it is a bit bulky compared the usual PFD I wear but that's just the price for carrying gear on your chest...there's fancier racing gear out there but I also like to shop more for cruising/camping and durability/safety than for racing.....

Edited by marekli on Aug 28, 2015 - 01:54 PM.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.