Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Covering boat parts from Sun/weather....Sunbrella fabric?  Bottom

• I'm looking to make a few little covers to protect things on the boat from SUN and weather. I think sun is the killer here. My boat came with some sunbrealla rudder covers.

Is sunbrealla material good enough to protect from sun?

--
    1988 Nacra 5.2
    YouTube link to see boat in action:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLddinE6IorSrPpZrlvcwAjRzSIQsKYPG1
    --
  • Sunbrella is awesome at holding up to the sun. It's not waterproof, but I think it's best to have things "breathe" anyway. There's a Sunbrella tramp cover still in use year round at our club that I bought USED in ~2000. The fabric will probably outlast the thread.

I have no direct experience with it, but I hear Dupont Tenara (Teflon) thread is the way to go. Unfortunately, I've only seen it sold in huge (very expensive) spools.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Sunbrella is great. Standard guarantee is 5 years, if you buy the marine grade it is 10 years from these people:
    www.sailrite.com
    They have everything to help you make your covers, including their own sewing machines.
    Tenara thread is worth the $$$ for constant exposure to the sun, and is available in somewhat smaller cones than elsewhere.
    I have made spare tire covers, rudder covers, a sail bag, curtains, and upholstered padded plywood for my truck bed.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • You need to go to the sailrite web site as they have a fabric comparison guide. Based on their guide I ended up purchasimg one of their other fabrics that had similar performance but was almost half the price of Sunbrella even though I have used Sunbrella for my sail and jib bags since I didn't need much waterproofnesss.

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --
  • I had a new sail bag made from Sunbrella material by Sail Care in Ford City, PA. The old nylon one was falling apart. New one breaths well. The only caution is it is not very abrasion resistant.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Check out http://www.rochfordsupply…rine/Textiles/index.html they have all the brands and many more available at sailrite. Fabric weight is your best defense from the sun. get 11oz and a solid machine.

--
    See you on the water
    2003 Bimare 18HT solo Sailor
    Formerly P-19MX solo sailor
    Portsmouth RI
    --
  • thanks for all the help guys. I'll look at these links you have. It sounds that the thread Stitching is a big part as well? To help keep it together. When I make something I'll share it on the site. Wish I could store it inside, lol, solve all my problems.

--
    1988 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • The newer Tenora (sp?) thread is lubricated, doesn't wick water & has the most UV longevity. The downside is it is more expensive.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • johno3300Check out http://www.rochfordsupply…rine/Textiles/index.html they have all the brands and many more available at sailrite. Fabric weight is your best defense from the sun. get 11oz and a solid machine.

This product is WAY cheaper to sunbrella that I was finding. its a bit thicker, I was finding 9oz. Is this product decent. At 3 times less the price wow. I wonder if sunbrella is far superior?

--
    1988 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • I've got fitted hull covers and a tramp cover all made out of sunbrella and its stitched with the tenara thread as well. I think the only fabric upgrade would be to go with the stuff called Top Gun. There is probably more options out there. The guy I bought my covers from said the tenara thread is the best you can get and will outlast the material. Well worth it . I keep mine covered with two tarps as well to keep the sun dirt and rain off the covers. They should last a very long time using this method.
    Just watch what color sunbrella you get. I think any color will fade in the sun over time (if you keep the covers in the sun). Just make sure whatever color you pick will fade to something you can live with.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1924806_10202021747237755_3568356378236410262_n.jpg?oh=f330da06dcfa2ced674e1f1a99d037a3&oe=5648570C

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/10150597_10202025612374381_6035423117099769220_n.jpg?oh=b70561d0d07630fe999341440ebc86e5&oe=565666EA
  • Quote I think any color will fade in the sun over time (if you keep the covers in the sun)

Some worse than others. Red is the longest wavelength in the visible spectrum, & fades faster than all others.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteI've got fitted hull covers and a tramp cover all made out of sunbrella and its stitched with the tenara thread as well. I think the only fabric upgrade would be to go with the stuff called Top Gun. There is probably more options out there. The guy I bought my covers from said the tenara thread is the best you can get and will outlast the material. Well worth it . I keep mine covered with two tarps as well to keep the sun dirt and rain off the covers. They should last a very long time using this method.
    Just watch what color sunbrella you get. I think any color will fade in the sun over time (if you keep the covers in the sun). Just make sure whatever color you pick will fade to something you can live with.

Wow man, covers look great. It also looks like you covered some of the mast ends and pieces, which is what I planned to do. I can't imagine how you get those covers 360 degrees around the hulls, and front tramp bar and everything. I have thought about the color, I''m considering a semi dark grey for living with the fade. You have some serious money in all that covering material, and you boat looks great. thanks for posting pics, makes me get an idea what people are doing.

--
    1988 Nacra 5.2
    --
  • csmonte
    QuoteI've got fitted hull covers and a tramp cover all made out of sunbrella and its stitched with the tenara thread as well. I think the only fabric upgrade would be to go with the stuff called Top Gun. There is probably more options out there. The guy I bought my covers from said the tenara thread is the best you can get and will outlast the material. Well worth it . I keep mine covered with two tarps as well to keep the sun dirt and rain off the covers. They should last a very long time using this method.

Wow man, covers look great. It also looks like you covered some of the mast ends and pieces, which is what I planned to do. I can't imagine how you get those covers 360 degrees around the hulls, and front tramp bar and everything. I have thought about the color, I''m considering a semi dark grey for living with the fade. You have some serious money in all that covering material, and you boat looks great. thanks for posting pics, makes me get an idea what people are doing.

The cover on the mast is just a comptip cover that Hobie makes.

I honestly chose the color just because I wanted it all to sort of match. The red covers match the red in the Hot tamale sails really well. The hulls covers take 2 people to get on and around the hulls just because you have to lift it a little. Like I said I put all these covers and then I have 2 large blue tarps that go over it all so the sunbrella shouldn't fade. I like to just put the tramp cover on after a day of racing just to keep the sun from beating on the tramp all afternoon. A tramp cover is easier and cheaper to replace than a tramp.

The best part is taking the cover off and the boat is already super clean and ready to go. Just be sure to give it a good wash before all the covers are put on.

After buying a brand new boat is was easy to justify the cost of the covers. I probably have about $700 invested in the hull and tramp covers. Plus they were already engineered, cut, and sewn. All the zipper are under the lip of hull. That way they stay covered. as well as its all stitched with the tenera thread.. Can't ask for a better cover.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.