Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cradles or double roller??? What's best?  Bottom

• So, I have a Nacra 5.2 and am wanting to improve the single roller setup on the trailer a bit.

I've seen people rig up a setup that has a spreader bar to get the 2 rollers 8-12" apart to separate the load. Also using slight "V" shaped rollers. Swapping out for 8 of these would cost at least $100

or Cradles.
    Seems like the best fiberglass protection but has a few drawbacks that I can see.
    1: Carpet, over time getting wet and dry and dirty, this carpet can get abrasive as light sandpaper.
    2: Harder to launch and pull boat up on trailer. I have a winch that could assist but still much harder I would assume.
    3: Should I worry about the carpet Saying wet over time by weather and keeping it on the hulls?

So that's it. I planed on having pictures but didn't realize I had to host them, I thought we could upload them on beachcats site.

Andy buying suggestions/locations greatly appreciated as well.

--
    1988 Nacra 5.2
    YouTube link to see boat in action:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLddinE6IorSrPpZrlvcwAjRzSIQsKYPG1
    --
  • Rear cradles are definitely more difficult to load and unload the boat, especially if you don't get pivoting cradles in the back. I would probably opt for the double rear rollers if those are the two options.

Another option (what I do) is use a single roller on the back and place a removable cradle on the roller after the boat is pulled onto the trailer. The removable cradle is just a piece of large diameter PVC pipe cut into a cradle with two pieces of wood screwed to the bottom with a gap in the middle so it stays in position on the single roller and a piece of carpet cemented to the top of the cradle. This system gives you the best of both worlds - rollers for install/removal of the boat and a cradle to protect the hull while trailering.

sm

Edited by Dogboy on Jul 28, 2015 - 06:37 AM.
  • Putting cradles on the front and using the front rollers to make dual rollers on back is a common improvement. The cradles are less impactful on the hulls in storage and trailering, but you will have some welding and cradle creation to do. HOWEVER, I really like the solution Dogboy has detailed above.

You are right to be concerned about water storage in certain climes affecting the gelcoat/fiberglass. There is another thread here with more than one cat reporting delamination from such conditions. The removable cradles would eliminate that environment.

One way to create cradles that fit well is to heat half-round pieces of 12" diameter PVC pipe and let them form to your (upside-down) hulls in the exact place you want, as they cool. There is a thread on this as well. Happy searching!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Great advice from those two, work with that info and you'll be happy in the long run.

Dave
  • Thanks for that info, very helpful.

Does anyone have any pictures of their rear roller with removable cradles? I've only seen one example in person and it looked OK. I would like it to look a bit more solid.

Seems like Front cradles and roller with swap-able cradle in rear is the best of all worlds.

EXCEPT this issue of wet carpet causing blistering or delamination from staying wet...any more info/support on long term sitting on carpet?

Also brand of cradle suggestion?

--
    1988 Nacra 5.2
    YouTube link to see boat in action:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLddinE6IorSrPpZrlvcwAjRzSIQsKYPG1
    --
  • I don't have any pics available, but it is a very simple system. Take a piece of large diameter PVC pipe (probably 10" diameter) 8-12" long. Cut it lengthwise to form cradles. Then cut two pieces of lumber (2x3s would be best) about 4" long. Screw each 2x3 to the bottom centerline of the cradle leaving about a 1 to 1-1/2" gap in the middle so the cradle can sit on the rear roller. The wood keeps the cradle from moving fore/aft. Then cement carpet to the top of the cradle. I also drilled a hole in the cradle and tied it to the rear crossbar so it doesn't get lost and if for some reason it does pop out while driving it doesn't end up on the road (although this has not been a problem).

I've used these cradles for many years and they've worked fine. I just have some old indoor carpet scraps cemented to the PVC and I haven't noticed any issues with gelcoat blistering. If you're worried about it, maybe use some marine carpet or closed cell foam.

sm
  • This issue of cradles vs. rollers has always concerned me, but not quite enough to actually do anything about it. What I can say is that my 1975 boat has been sitting on single rollers all these years and there isn't any sign of deformation in the glass. I like the idea of a removable PVC cradle though, but more to keep the boat from trying to move around on the trailer.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • QuoteWhat I can say is that my 1975 boat has been sitting on single rollers all these years and there isn't any sign of deformation in the glass.

I was considering the same issue with my new acquisition, a Nacra 5.0, rollers or cradles and came to the same conclusion. It has been sitting on rollers for the last 26 years with no signs of damage so I left it as is. I think with the newer boats it is more of an issue because of their construction.

--
    NACRA 5.0 (current)
    Hobie 16 90945 (current) Rehabbed and sold to many to count.
    Hobie 18 (formerly)
    Hobie 17 (formerly)
    Hobie 14 (formerly)
    Goshen, IN
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.