Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.2 broken mast  Bottom

• Hello There,
    I'm new here and I live in Germany. Here I am sailing on a lake in Bavaria a Skippi 650 Cruiser and a Nacra 5.2. In a storm a few weeks ago my mast is broken. Now I could get a mast of a Hobie 18, I want to build on my Nacra 5.2. The dimensions are almost identical. What do you all mean? Is this possible?

Thanks for your opinions.

Greetings from Bavaria
    Jens
  • If the length is right and you can get the bottom casting to fit I can't see a reason it wouldn't work. You may have to reposition the rigging hounds (brackets) to match your rigging though. And if the casting doesn't fit you may need to convert over to a hobie mast step.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Yeah, the extrusion should be fine. As mentioned, you'll have to mess with the mast base, and either move the hounds or adjust the length of the stays. Possibly easier/cheaper than finding a 5.2 mast.

Dave
  • Hello everybody,

Thanks for your opinion. I'll try it and then report here.

Thanks Jens
  • Can a 5.2 bare mast blank be tracked down anywhere from a manufacturer? As I recall the Hobie masts were much heavier than the Nacra masts. I'm curious about the mast because mine is older and has some various corrosion issues that could decide to bite me soon.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • Hello all,

I just joined and came across this thread. I just bought a 5.2 today and am looking to sell the mast, boom, and sails. All in very good condition. Looking for $500 for the lot. I am in Colorado.

Thanks,

Phil
  • I would try and find a 5.5-5.7-5.8 nacra mast then cut the top and the bottom to match the 5.2 mast now the mast hound is in its proper place all of the rigging is correct as well as the mast base. I have done this with another brand and it has worked well for me.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.