Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

First mast step on my supercat 17!  Bottom

• Hey!

I just got my supercat 17 home yesterday and am really excited to get this thing out on the water!

Before I take it to the lake I thought I'd set it up in the yard, to see if I had everything I needed.

I unloaded the boat from the trailer onto some tires, I thought this would be more stable, and safer on the hulls than this old trailer. (I need to make some cradles in place of these rollers, but thats another project)

I have some questions on how this roller jib works, but first I decided to try and step the mast and see if it made sense after.

Long story short, I cannot get this mast up with 2 people. Of all the times I've seen my friend step his hobie 16, and all the youtube videos I've seen of various boats, this was the hardest mast to get upright by far. We have tried 2 times now and thought it best to come ask advice before something goes wrong.

Im afraid of going right through this old tramp before I can lift the mast. I'm a pretty big guy, 29 y/o, 6ft 1in, 225lbs. I googled for advice and people mention how heavy this mast is, and hard to step. I've seen numbers like 55 or 60 lbs, I didnt believe that at all and I just went out and weighed it, I bottomed out a 300lb scale with me on it, so thats at LEAST 75 lbs.

I need some advice, this mast is kicking my ass.
  • Most small beach cats were designed to trailer to the beach or boat ramp, quickly throw the mast up, raise sails & go. Hobies & Prindles came out in early '70's with a 26' mast that was a fairly easy throw. Sol Cat wanted to be faster with their 18, but spreaders & diamond wires were extra cost, so they had heavier extrusion & 2' longer. Result was a heavy mast. Supercats were late to the party and decided a better foil shape & little taller would be faster. In those days everyone was young or middle aged & strong and nobody really challenged the mast problem. Had a derelict SC 17 here several years ago, was going to save the mast until I lifted it. Instead I cut it up for recycler. When considering a used beach cat, the mast is extremely important, but few consider it. There are others here who will describe various gin poles to assist mast raising on your SC 17. Pete
  • I've got pics of a couple of gin poles I've constructed over the years, in the technical photo albums. You can Pm me with questions if you wish. Building one will save you time, effort and maybe your back, as well as being safer. And your concern about damaging the tramp is valid if it's older.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=109328&g2_GALLERYSID=882623cb10295df17fe6177ae2bf68d5
    Dave

Edited by davefarmer on Jul 07, 2015 - 07:15 PM.
  • Trailer your boat backwards. Transoms towards the vehicle, there are many benefits to this method.
    With the mast in the trailer cradle and the base positioned on the mast ball, the mast is at an angle that makes raising it much easier. Tie a long line onto the jib halyard and have an assistant pulling on the mast as you lift and push. (Be sure the side stays are connected so your assistant doesn't pull the mast over forward.) Step off the boat and connect the bridle as your assistant holds the mast vertical.

Build a gin pole system, I step a 33 foot SC20 mast solo all the time. Does your boat have the Hyfield levers? (shroud extenders)

--
    'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
    --
  • Thanks guys.

I definitely think building a gin pole is a good idea, I'd go sailing every day if I had an easy way to raise and lower this mast.

No this sc17 does not have Hyfield levers/shroud extenders.

Another question I have is how my roller furl jib works, ive never used one of these. It looks to have a halyard and a forestay that both roll together. How do I set up jib? do i prewind this cord? can it all be done after mast is up? I assume ill need another line so I can reach both ends of the halyard from the tramp. I'll go take some pictures.

http://i58.tinypic.com/29bizhi.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/28mgyh3.jpg
  • You should have a zipper luff jib.
    1. Look at the halyard and see if it has sister clips
    2. the halyard goes inside the zipper as you raise the jib
    3. hoist the jib
    4. tack the jib to chain plate one of the holes below the forestay
    5 use the small line on the shackle (by your left forefinger) to make a spanish windlass through the eye of the halyard
    6. tension the snot out of it
    7. remove the hoist line at the sister clip and stow it in your pocket, you don't need it until de-rig.
    8. roll the jib by hand around the forestay
    9. pull the jib out and the furler line will wrap up into the drum.

sounds complicated but is not.
    go to aquarius-sail and join the Supercat forum everything you will ever need to know is in the archives there.

--
    --
  • havliiiYou should have a zipper luff jib.
    3. hoist the jib
    5 use the small line on the shackle (by your left forefinger) to make a spanish windlass through the eye of the halyard
    7. remove the hoist line at the sister clip and stow it in your pocket, you don't need it until de-rig.

go to aquarius-sail and join the Supercat forum everything you will ever need to know is in the archives there.

do all of the above after the mast is up!!!

--
    --
  • Sorry, I didn't have time to to compose a personal response, running out the door, already late for
    Japan.
    You might find some useful information in this album I made
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures?g2_itemId=88268

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • havliii
    havliiiYou should have a zipper luff jib.
    3. hoist the jib

do all of the above after the mast is up!!!

Thanks! Great explanation.

I'm getting ahead of myself, I need to reinforce my trailer before I can take it to the lake. This should be plenty to get me started, appreciate it.

I'll check out that forum!

Edchris177Sorry, I didn't have time to to compose a personal response, running out the door, already late for
    Japan.
    You might find some useful information in this album I made
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures?g2_itemId=88268

Thanks, pictures are great!
  • Is there any chance that there's water in the mast, making it heavier? I'm a little surprised that two guys couldn't get it up.

The above advice on how to rig the jib and furler is good. Some folks leave the jib furled when dropping the mast, and securing it to the tramp in a loose loop, trying to minimize kinks and bends. This shortens rigging and de rigging time, but is more wear on the jib. Probably not advisable for long distance trailering.

If you end up with mast up storage, you then have choices about leaving the jib furled on the boat, or removing it when done sailing. If you leave it up, it needs to be very well secured so it can't unfurl and flog itself to death(doesn't take long in a blow). There's also the UV issue, which can be addressed by having a sailmaker attach a sacrificial layer of sailcloth in the appropriate spots to protect the jib when furled, or build/buy a snorkel/sock that gets zippered on and hoisted up over the furled jib to shield it from the sun.

Time (and money) invested in your trailer is also worthwhile, paying particular attention to wheel bearings and tires(inspect for sidewall cracking). If either of them fail, is spoils a day of sailing, and maybe causes an accident.

With repetitions, rigging get easier and faster. And trailering will become more comfortable as well. Just don't forget it's back there, it's wide!

Dave
  • I used my boom as gin pole. With the addition of this small appliance and some guide liines, Hobie ez up as guide. Make sure mast is empty.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113225&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.