Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

1981 Prindle 16 rigging question  Bottom

• I purchased used Prindle 16 few weeks ago and cannot determine correct traveler line size? Previous owner said he never moved the traveler..the current set-up is a mess.The on-line Prindle manual is not clear to me pic. Please share any pics of your set-up. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. icon_confused

--
    J.D.
    1981 Prindle 16
    1978 Y-Flyer
    Akron,OH
    USA
    --
  • 7/16 or 3/8 works well. Start by going thru the jam cleat, then thru traveler car, then tie off on eyestrap on middle rear of crossbeam. You could use end of mainsheet unless it's 1/2" then get rid of it as 1/2" promotes capsize. Pete
  • Sounds good, thanks for the quick reply!

--
    J.D.
    1981 Prindle 16
    1978 Y-Flyer
    Akron,OH
    USA
    --
  • pbegel7/16 or 3/8 works well. Start by going thru the jam cleat, then thru traveler car, then tie off on eyestrap on middle rear of crossbeam. You could use end of mainsheet unless it's 1/2" then get rid of it as 1/2" promotes capsize. Pete

I used 5/16" line tied to the end of my mainsheet. Like 3/8, it travels much easier through the traveler car. Be sure you use a good knot, like a double sheet bend set tightly, and allow the knots' location to stop your traveler car before it strikes the crossbar bolt at the end when you travel out to the max.

Edited by klozhald on Jun 15, 2015 - 04:39 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Good stuff, I will make the line changes tomorrow. The traveler is next on the list of upgrades.
    I really appreciate the responses.

--
    J.D.
    1981 Prindle 16
    1978 Y-Flyer
    Akron,OH
    USA
    --
  • If the rollers are broken on traveler, it will jam on wrong side during a jibe & flip you. New ones are $80 but will last life of the boat. Pete
  • The rollers are in poor shape. I was checking out a shiney new traveler on Murrays. Looks like 80$ and worth it. I hope to get in a sail this week too see how everything else is working. Thx.

--
    J.D.
    1981 Prindle 16
    1978 Y-Flyer
    Akron,OH
    USA
    --
  • jdbI was checking out a shiney new traveler on Murrays. Looks like 80$ and worth it.

It is. You will have to remove the end cap from your crossbar to replace it. Since they are not structural rivets, they need not be Monel, but they are big ones and I can't remember if its two or three.
    For the record, pbegle has all kinds of used Prindle parts, and decades of experience sailing them.
    [I didn't say how old, Pete! (I think he's younger than me...)]

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • i just looked at the end cap and noticed 4 rivets. Any trick to remove??

--
    J.D.
    1981 Prindle 16
    1978 Y-Flyer
    Akron,OH
    USA
    --
  • More than decades, Bob, almost a century!!! I never take the 4 rivets out, but simply grind off the 1 1/4" of stop off & trim the traveler end. If you have an extra stainless washer, put it under bolt head to raise it a little when putting it back. Pete
  • You just saved me hours of research on type & size (thickness) of rivets. Many thanks!

--
    J.D.
    1981 Prindle 16
    1978 Y-Flyer
    Akron,OH
    USA
    --
  • Have a p15. How would you rig the lines for an added jib?
    Thanks Frank

--
    Frank
    Prindle 15/Hobie 16/Hobie 14T
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.