Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Simple way to pressurize hulls  Bottom

• I have used, read about numerous ways to pressurize a hull to check for leaks.
    The problem with most of them is they take two people, or you have to set up some rig to hold a shop vac in place.
    The other day I was working on my 5.7, & had no other hands around. I came up with this idea, & it worked better than I imagined.
    It is simple, cheap, & effective method to pressurize hulls for leak checks.
    These hand pumps are for filling balloons, & can be obtained at your local dollar Store, for $1 or $2. They give enough volumn with a dozen strokes, at a safe pressure.
    This method allows you to work solo. You can pressurize the hull, then leave the pump dangle while you apply soapy water. I had thought about drilling out an old hull plug, then attaching it directly to the pump with adhesive silicone, but was in a hurry, & the soft tubing makes things easier.
    I wanted to check the entire hull, so I just sloshed soapy water on with a car wash sponge.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures?g2_itemId=118697

Edited by Edchris177 on May 29, 2015 - 02:37 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Good advice! Last time I had to do that i used a small 12V air compressor for car, connected in a similar way. I left one inspection port loose to avoid pressure build up. It doesn't take a lot of air flow or pressure to start seeing the bubbles. As the volume is large we tend to think that a small device won't work, but the hulls are already full of air... I would bet that just a hose and your lungs would work too.
  • What is that carabiner for, on the front beam strap? The metal plate looks dangerous for your toes..
  • Quote I would bet that just a hose and your lungs would work too.

It does, 3-4 full breaths is plenty, but, if you are working alone it is a PITA. You need to blow, then put the plug in, run around spraying, blow again. I guess you could put a check valve in a line, but this is waaayyy easier.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • QuoteWhat is that carabiner for, on the front beam strap?

That's the rear beam, & the small plate is turned the wrong way. I'm putting that boat back together, it's been drydocked for a year.
    I have 2 pre-made lines that stay on the dock. If it's to windy, or wrong direction to raise the sails on the lift, or if I'm just coming in for a break, I clip one line to that carabiner, & the other to the bridal.
    The Cat will then stay safely at the dock.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • I just use a hose jammed in the drain plug hole (wrap some tape around the end to make a tight fit). Blow a few lung fulls in, pinch off the hose with a pair of vice grips and then soap up the boat (use a spray bottle filled with soapy water). Yes you have to go back and "re-inflate" the boat every 30-60 seconds, but it's no big deal.

I guess the ultimate would be to make a custom drain plug ("test plug") with the hose epoxied directly into it and a stop cock on the hose. Install your test plug into the hull, open the stop cock, blow up the boat, then close the stop cock and soap up the boat.

sm

Edited by Dogboy on May 29, 2015 - 01:08 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.