Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Do you need carry a paddle?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• QuoteWhen I raced lasers in the 70s I and a number of the other sailors carried the following with a tether on it in the event of a capsize

Looks like fin. You mention capsize. How is this used: propulsion or sticking on the daggerboard for leverage to right boat?

Edited by goodsailing on May 28, 2015 - 10:54 AM.

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Paddle with your boom then...
  • QuoteLooks like fin. You mention capsize. How is this used: propulsion or sticking on the daggerboard for leverage to right boat?

Goodsailing you always have to have the last word and be correct....you are an idiot!

Edited by NeubaurRL on May 28, 2015 - 11:49 AM.

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --
  • I never saw that before the reason I asked the question.

Edited by goodsailing on May 28, 2015 - 12:21 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Does anyone know what that thing is?

Edited by goodsailing on May 29, 2015 - 01:44 AM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • The topic of this thread is "paddle", figure it out or do a web search

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --
  • Neubaur, I've seen someone use one. It was a while ago. I think it is a one-handed paddle designed to be dragged through the water front to back. It braces against your arm for the power stroke and folds back for the return. Works only if you are low on the water as you would be on a laser. Modern cat hulls would probably be too high off the water for this to be effective. Not sure though, maybe it could work, but I prefer a Canadian style canoe paddle.
  • Yes, works exactly as you describe. It is actually called a praddle, used it years ago with a Laser, allows you to paddle with one arm and steer with the other. I carry two standard paddles one under each wing tramp and a bungee cord to hold the tiller straight while paddling.

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --
  • QuoteThe topic of this thread is "paddle", figure it out or do a web search

I ought to know, I started the thread. But since you talked about this device in reference to capsizing, you kinda threw me as I had no idea what you were talking about. I never paddled anywhere when I capsized a Laser. ??????? I did do a google search but not even knowing what it was called or used for I gave up after nothing found.

NO need to rail at someone who asks you to clairify your posts. We're not mind readers. Thanks for the additional info you provided to Dennis, in lue of simply stating the same when I asked the question.

Having a great day.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • I bought a cheap Walmart extendable handle paddle with a small blade. I hide it stuffed into the centre lacing on the the underside of the tramp on my Nacra 5.5, with a little tie off so it cant move. I used it last weekend, and as someone else stated, paddling a cat from the front beam while someone steers, is surprisingly efficient. We were moving along a decent pace. I was surprised. The paddle seems very well built (made in the USA from memory). Mine is bright orange. Don't think I'll leave home without it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip…pic-Mini-Paddle/16606474

Edited by sierracat on May 29, 2015 - 04:38 PM.

--
    Tom
    Nacra 5.5 Uni
    (actually a chopped down 18sq)
    (soon to be 5.5 sloop)
    Northern California
    --
  • QuoteNO need to rail at someone who asks you to clairify your posts. We're not mind readers. Thanks for the additional info you provided to Dennis, in lue of simply stating the same when I asked the question.

A lot of your responses come back sounding like a know-it-all smart a$$ and even my 55 lb daughter was able to right a laser and as a sailor you've never heard of someone hooking something on to their centerboard to right it

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --
  • QuoteA lot of your responses come back sounding like a know-it-all smart a$$ and even my 55 lb daughter was able to right a laser and as a sailor you've never heard of someone hooking something on to their centerboard to right it

After reading that, I know I'm smarter than you. Better re-read it Neuby. You seem confused about what we're talking about. You posted a picture of a PRADDLE as you called it, yet talked about righting a Laser with it? Or paddling a Laser while the Laser is capsized. Again you talk about righting a boat. Then when your asked to clarify your statements you get your shorts up your a$$, when all you had to do was simply clairify.

Let me help you: stop talking about capsizing and righting boats. This conversation is about taking a paddle along. You told us how you carry paddles. Do you have anything more constructive to add to the conversation?

Edited by goodsailing on May 30, 2015 - 06:29 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • NeubaurRLYes, works exactly as you describe. It is actually called a praddle, used it years ago with a Laser, allows you to paddle with one arm and steer with the other. I carry two standard paddles one under each wing tramp and a bungee cord to hold the tiller straight while paddling.

Sounds worth a try, solo paddling is not easy
  • QuoteI bought a cheap Walmart extendable handle paddle with a small blade. I hide it stuffed into the centre lacing on the the underside of the tramp on my Nacra 5.5, with a little tie off so it cant move. I used it last weekend, and as someone else stated, paddling a cat from the front beam while someone steers, is surprisingly efficient. We were moving along a decent pace. I was surprised. The paddle seems very well built (made in the USA from memory).

I don't know that brand, ... i hope it lasts you for years
    I PERSONALLY have yet to find any walmart "marine" gear that lasts even a single season
  • MN3
    I PERSONALLY have yet to find any walmart "marine" gear that lasts even a single season

Agree except I'm not sure I'd include paddles as "marine gear" that needs to be high quality. For decades I've carried two standard short wooden paddles, one under each wing in the lacing. I always mean to give them a new coat of varnish when they start to show their age but never get around to it, they still last 10 years or so.

Now that I'm trying sailing without wings for the first time I'll have to find a new way to carry at least one paddle. Very important for inland lake sailing where the wind can die completely in the summer at any time, especially near dusk when trying to get back after staying out just a bit too long.

When it comes to other marine gear like rope, shackles, bungees, and PFD's... NO But other marine gear like beer, ice, and cleaning supplies OK.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • the wooden paddles i bought from walmart ALL died the same death, they became dried and the sides split off
    the collapasable (atwood) paddles i have purchased from both walmart and kmart all died the same way - they failed (broke in 1/2) at the worst possible time

I still carry a collapsible one, but it's a high quality one, and it's my spare, i use a heavy duty alum/plastic one as my main one
  • Damon, ditto. I have a small varnished wooden paddle that gets bungied to the boom. Not the greatest paddle in the world but it works.....

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad42/bcreamer/Sailing/AH18_zpsc7d2d3e4.jpg
  • Having a paddle is important enough to me to spend $20 (on sale) at West Marine for a quality 5-foot telescoping paddle. Every time I needed a paddle, I really needed it to work well. I have made do with porthole covers and other things, but having the right tool in a self-rescue situation is priceless.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • QuoteI have made do with porthole covers and other things, but having the right tool in a self-rescue situation is priceless.

I was beat to shore one time (about a mile). I had a paddle, the guy who beat me used his cooler lid... ugggg
  • MN3I was beat to shore one time (about a mile). I had a paddle, the guy who beat me used his cooler lid... ugggg

Could it have been what was in the cooler that fueled him?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.