Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Using 2 sets of beach wheels  Bottom

• I have bought a new set up of rubber beach wheels. Still have my plastic ones. I have a long beach launch this weekend, thinking of using both sets at once. I figure less weight per wheel and won't have to balance the boat. But, are my plastic ones still slowing me down on the loose sand?
  • jalexI have bought a new set up of rubber beach wheels. Still have my plastic ones. I have a long beach launch this weekend, thinking of using both sets at once. I figure less weight per wheel and won't have to balance the boat. But, are my plastic ones still slowing me down on the loose sand?

Could be a possibility. Using two sets will add to difficulty to change directions at will but makes it easier to push solo. Takes some manuvering to turn.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113756&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Just sail it on the quad wheels. If it gets going too fast, use the dagger boards as brakes. icon_biggrin

sm
  • http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=113081

I have a lightweight alum framework hose clamped to the two axels that makes the two sets of wheels into a four wheeled cradle, that's easy and quick to get the boat on and off of. I get to leave the boat on it when parked, but if you developed a quick release method to attach the frame to the axels, it might work for trailering. Maybe the frame could scissor to make it more compact for transport.

Dave
  • Dave, what did you use to make the cradles out of?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • The rear cradles are fiberglass, and came with the beachwheels, which came with the boat. The front ones are just a vertical 2 x 6 scribed to fit the hulls and covered with carpet. 85% of the weight is on the rear wheels, so the front wheels are just there to keep the bows up off the beach.

The winch was $50 from Harbor Freight, and the lawn tractor battery was $20 new. The winch is mounted to a stout alum plate with a 1" hole in each corner, that allows 4 pcs of rebar to be pounded into the ground/beach, which secures the winch. Hook up the battery and I can pull the boat 50 feet with little effort.
  • Quoteust sail it on the quad wheels. If it gets going too fast, use the dagger boards as brakes.

Funny HA. Yea there's a video 60's of them sailing it across the beach to inland pond. Next time out I'm going to try sailing up the little grade to level beach.

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.