Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Getting into sailing. Beachcat first?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• palmettostater had a near-death experience (in my mind, at least) in a sinking Optimist when I was about 9 or 10, and the thought of being stranded in a capsized boat in open water terrifies me.

Keep in mind that beachcats have positive floatation built in. The fiberglass hulls have foam sandwiched in which allows a beachcat that has completely flipped over in the water (mast down, referred to as "turtle"), to float, even if one hull has been damaged and taken on water. There is a vid on YouTube of someone sailing a Hobie with one hull nearly full of water.

So wear a vest always and float like your cat when you drive it into the water. We all have, and sometimes we do it on purpose when we are bored. My old P16 was great fun on its side. We would climb up on the top hull and use it for a slide into the water below.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Charleston has an active Hobie 16 fleet ( as well as a Hobie 20 fleet) I would start with the 16 if you see yourself sailing solo often. If you will have reliable crew, get a Hobie 18. In the world of beach cats, Hobie 18s are very good if not the best all around boat. The downside to the 18 is increased weight and can be difficult to wrestle around on the beach.
  • Quotehave you ever seen what happens when they are left on the tramp in the sun?

no - what happens?
  • carolinacatamaransCharleston has an active Hobie 16 fleet ( as well as a Hobie 20 fleet) I would start with the 16 if you see yourself sailing solo often. If you will have reliable crew, get a Hobie 18. In the world of beach cats, Hobie 18s are very good if not the best all around boat. The downside to the 18 is increased weight and can be difficult to wrestle around on the beach.

I'm actually leaning toward a P16 or NACRA just because it (according to the websites/boards I've read) won't pitchpole as much as the H16. It would be really fun to be part of a fleet, though. But, given that A) I'm still recovering from my debilitating fear of dark water, and B) I'd be learning to sail on a boat renowned for actively trying to murder its occupants (comedic hyperbole intended), I'm not sure the H16 is where I'd want to start.

In reality, I'm 100% positive I'd have an absolute blast on any of them, and that they're all outstanding boats which do different things well. It just so happens the Hobie's one reported weakness is the one weakness I absolutely, 100% don't want my boat to have. It's not that the other boats won't also pitchpole, but they don't have whole jokes about "keeping an eye on the leeward hull."

Now, if I can just find a boat in great condition (how will I, the ignoramus, even know if it's in great condition?), in my price range, and within driving distance of Charleston. I've looked at a bunch of different websites, and there ain't many out there to be had that meet those criteria.
  • QuoteIn the Nacra line, you'd probably be looking at a 5.0, 5.2, or a 5.5. All have more bow volume than the H16/P16s, so are less prone to pitchpoling. However, they are more complex (i.e. diamond wires, barber haulers, etc), and typically cost more. Also, the Nacra's are higher performance boats, so they'll be more of a handful when you're starting.

That is why I specifically mentioned the 5.0, there is simply NOTHING to dislike about it.
    QuoteIf heading out into the chop and strong winds I will take the P any day.

And I would take the 5.0 every day over those two.
    What many are not factoring is your comments regarding flipping, & the anxiety.
    Buy a Wave, sail the sh*t out of it, then sell it for what you paid, & buy an N5.0. You will never have buyers remorse with the Nacra, unless you decide to buy a bigger one.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Quotewithin driving distance of Charleston. I've looked at a bunch of different websites, and there ain't many out there to be had that meet those criteria.

Yes there are, just keep looking. Don't get emotionally involved with the first one that comes along. There WILL BE Nacras, Hobies & Prindles pop up.
    I live in Canada & there are 1/50 of the boats that the Southern US guys see. I found a cherry .0, medium 5.7, & stellar Mystere 6XL (20'x10')
    Do dome research here & the Web, DO NOT buy a fixer upper as your first boat.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • There is a P-16 in Rockwell asking $1300 OBO with 2 sets sails with the older style easier to raise jib. Another in Seneca for $700. Hulls in both cases will be oxidized, but they're so cheap, take it to a detailer to clean them up. Pete
  • I started on an h16 and now own a n5.2 and n5.7. For starting I would highly recommend a 5.0 if possible 5.7 is my second choice then p16. Some people would put the Prindles first but it's a matter of taste. I love not having a boom or daggers. I always felt the h16 was trying to kill me, but that has its own level of fun also. :) the 5.2 has a bit of that too but I've never been too scared on my 5.7 you really have to work to capsize that boat.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Just going on what I've read, I think the 5.0 would be my first choice (followed closely by the P16), but I'm not closing my eyes to other options, either. If the perfect Prindle came along at a great price point and close by, I'm not sure I wouldn't snap that up and sail the hell out of it.
  • a nacra 5.0 at a decent price wont last long - they are hard to find and very desirable
  • QuoteDO NOT buy a fixer upper as your first boat.

Depends how much fixing up the boat needs vs. price paid. It also depends on ability to fix or repair things, tools owned and how close you are to boat supply to avoid shipping charges. Not excluding time to deal with items needing fixed. Buying a boat that is structurally OK where sealing the mast, replacing lines, i.e. minor repairs is a piece of cake.

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteThe downside to the 18 is increased weight and can be difficult to wrestle around on the beach.

Depends on amount of wheels, sand quality, distance to trailer to waters edge, degree of beach lip incline, wind, amount of helpers and one's own strength. I can get this boat in the water myself yet need one other to get it out. This using 2 sets of beech wheels.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113756&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by goodsailing on May 21, 2015 - 09:13 AM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • goodsailing
    QuoteDO NOT buy a fixer upper as your first boat.

It also depends on ability to fix or repair things, tools owned and how close you are to boat supply to avoid shipping charges.

I think I might've seen a wrench before.

In short, I won't be making many repairs. I'll have to buy something that's in good condition, or something that isn't in good condition and have it repaired.

Based on that (and the relative scarcity of 5.0s in good condition at a fair price), I might be getting a P16.
  • Just my two cents. There are people who like to fix boats and people who like to sail. Buy a boat that works and go sailing! To that point, buy a boat that you can easily manage to put in the water and sail longer.

--
    Phil W
    Nacra 570
    Victoria BC
    www.mausails.com
    --
  • Lots of great advice here. carolinacatamarans said it well about a strong local fleet close.

I would spend a weekend sailing with the local fleet before purchasing.
    Lots of racers are looking for crew and happy to help. Consider volunteering to do race committee.
    It is pretty cool being around 5-25+ sailing cats.

Learning to sail with a fleet on a less-than-perfect boat will be easier than learning to sail a better boat solo or with new crew.
  • blair.suttonLots of great advice here. carolinacatamarans said it well about a strong local fleet close.

I would spend a weekend sailing with the local fleet before purchasing.
    Lots of racers are looking for crew and happy to help. Consider volunteering to do race committee.
    It is pretty cool being around 5-25+ sailing cats.

Learning to sail with a fleet on a less-than-perfect boat will be easier than learning to sail a better boat solo or with new crew.

Interesting thought. It'd definitely be cool to have a group of people to sail around with. I'm not sure they'd want some total newbie on their boat as crew, though.
  • QuoteInteresting thought. It'd definitely be cool to have a group of people to sail around with. I'm not sure they'd want some total newbie on their boat as crew, though.

if they need crew for a race, or just want company, they will
    I know here (tampa) there are evening races at the davis island yacht club and they are allways welcoming newbies as crew - mostly just to get new people out on the water
  • Quotepoooo pooooo
    i did it for years in downtown tampa (davis island boat ramp)
    if there is a will ... there is a way

get the boat down the ramp, push it off - anchor and raise your main .... so easy a caveman could do it

But didn't you once say it was not advisable to raise the mast while in the water. If not, then I"m better off going out the boat ramp, paddle out of the channel, then put the sail up when I'm out there? But I'm not relishing paddling that far?

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Palmetto,
    Know that this is an older thread but the idea of finding locals is a great idea. Been away from sailing for a long time but I think you will find them more then willing to provide help and info. I would imagine that some will even go over a prospective boat for you to see what flaws might show up. If not, they will know of a good surveyor who knows small cats. I would also imagine that someone in the local sailing club will be a surveyor. Going with someone else who knows what they are doing will go a long way to helping you not only make the right decision for you but will help your odds of learning about sailing cats. To be able to go out on a boat prior to buying is invaluable and well worth the effort of meeting new folks. I am in upstate SC and thinking about getting back into sailing but at 68 remember how much fun cats can be but also what it is like to put one over in rough water so I do understand your concerns. Again, all that will be clearer IF you can get on a cat with an experienced sailor and most will be more then willing to help you. I went from cats to monos but now yearn to get back to cats...

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.