Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mystere 5.0xl sails: what's this rope for?  Bottom

• I recently noticed both the jib and main on my Mystere have a small rope running up the length of the leech inside the edge. There's a small cleat sewn to the bottom end of the sail where the rope comes out. Never really paid much attention to it till now. I assume tightening it will kind of bag out the sail by shortening the leech. My question is what effect would this have on the sail's performance and when would you adjust this if ever?

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • It's called a leech line.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • the leech line can be tightened to help reduce a sail that is flogging (because it has stretched out)

this will reduce noise and reduce disruption to the air flow BUT it means your sail is not as efficiant as it used to be and you are inducing a cup shape into your leech ... not optimal
  • Ah! Thanks! I did find my jib would often flutter last summer, even sheeted in tight. I'll tighten up that line to see if it helps.

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • QuoteI did find my jib would often flutter last summer,
    time for a new jib

worth the money - like a tune up on your rocket - even if your main is blown . . .

i had flutter in 20+ last weekend. (on what i thought was my "best jib, a h20 one that came with my most recent Mystere (i have 3) ) i told my crew to tighten it (the jib leach line line/cleat) up an 1" or 2. worked but ... time for a new jib )

that's one of my 6 used jib i own ... lol

dear santa (e/p sails), this Christmas ... i want a new nacra20 main, tornado jib and spin
    i will try my best to be a "good boy" the rest of the year

Edited by MN3 on May 31, 2015 - 02:52 PM.
  • QuoteI did find my jib would often flutter last summer, even sheeted in tight.

Jason, do you have the 8'6" beam?
    Are your jib blocks adjustable?
    On my 6.0XL, (4 way jib system) I had to move the blocks inwards, on the cable that crosses the tramp. If they were left right out on the hull no amount of sheeting would trim them properly when sailing upwind.
    On my Nacras, if the two short battens on th ejib leach are left out, it flutters when pinching.
    I never used that little adjustment line.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Yes, it is time for a new jib- not sure this one will last the summer.
  • And yes, i have the 8'6" beam. That reminds me i still have to add that line across the tramp. It's on my "list of things to do but never get around to doing" icon_rolleyes

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • kasperAnd yes, i have the 8'6" beam. That reminds me i still have to add that line across the tramp. It's on my "list of things to do but never get around to doing" icon_rolleyes

That means your jib is not set correct (inboard) for upwind - i would add that and see if it helps reduce flutter
    i would order a new one as soon as you can afford it
  • QuoteThat reminds me i still have to add that line across the tramp.

There were several ways of doing it. If you make a cable, (with thimbles that attach to the jib cars), it has to be the exact length, as there is no way to tighten it.
    On my 6.0XL, the PO did not enjoy the cable, & made up a stiffened tube. He installed small Harken cars onto a rail secured to the tube. It was not easier, just easier on the knees.
    I removed it & used a length of Vectran V-12. that made it easy to tie off the correct length, but you can never stretch it so as to eliminate the blocks moving forward a bit.
    Mine was a 2001 model, your setup should be the same, the cleats are already mounted on the hull, at each end of the track. You have small jam cleats to hold the jib cars aft on tracks, & there will be a couple other small cleats that keep the cars as far inwards as you desire.
    I think you will find that moving them in, even 3-4" on each side will eliminate the flutter. With the wider beams, the leech is just to far out, the result is the same as any Cat pinching...if you don't sheet the jib hard, it flutters. On my 10' beam, I had to move the jib blocks over a foot towards center.
    Here is an album I made showing the setup. Basically the red line holds the jib cars sternward,(under power the jib wants to go forward).
    The jib blocks move inward/outwards on the cable via a small block. Wind in the jib tries to pull them outwards, you pull them in & cleat off via one of the small blue lines, photo 0599.
    Click on full size to see more detail.
    You can skip the barberhauler if you don't want the extra line, but it is easy, & useful to string the cross tramp line.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures?g2_itemId=109039

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Wow! Good info and photos! I'll have to check that out once i get the cat out of storage, hopefully very soon. Thanks!

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • QuoteI removed it & used a length of Vectran V-12. that made it easy to tie off the correct length, but you can never stretch it so as to eliminate the blocks moving forward a bit.

I hated raking my shins off on that cable. and my gf(s) all hated it - it was painful
    I have tried and tied tons of methods. the problem (as mentioned above)- it stretches over time and is pretty sloppy

I think i found the solution (works for me at least)

i removed all that hardware and have a 4mm amsteel blue spliced to my jib cars.

on the port side, I made the splice typical
    on starboard i made a very long loop - the splice loop tucks in 8 or 9 inches inboard
    I left a 6" tail hanging out. (i am guessing at these numbers)

when ever it gets lose with any stretch or creep all i do is tighten the splice by its tail

I made it so far inboard so it can't interfere with the jib blocks or even get caught in them
  • http://asnstudios.com/images/horse.JPG

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.