Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sail battens  Bottom

• I just got my first cat, a SolCat 18. I'm eager to get it on the water but it still needs a few things. One part that I can't afford right now is a new set of sail battens. Will I be able to sail without sail battens? Will sailing with the three battens I have be better or worse than sailing without any battens? Will I damage my sail by not using battens for a while? I know that I can make battens but, since I've never done it I'd rather save up to buy the correct ones until I have more experience with making parts and pieces because I definitely can't afford to replace a damaged sail. Thanks.
  • Hello Mike. I've never owned one of those and I don't see many of them around, but the one cool thing about them is that one appeared in the movie Jaws II (1978).

No expert here, but Hobie battens may work. Find a local who has a Hobie and compare the size/shape (in section) of their battens to yours. If it looks like a fit search for used Hobie battens for sale locally. Used battens are much cheaper than new and folks who have them for sale would much rather hand them to you in person rather than ship them because shipping something that long is a PITA.

The battens you find may be longer than you need so just cut them to length with a hack saw. I personally might sail with a few battens missing in a pinch, but not two missing in adjacent batten pockets or in winds over 10kts..

Here are a few of the batten shapes in section you might find:

http://users.tpg.com.au/kkmiller/hobie/battens.html

Hobie battens look like the one on the far left.

Edited by leeboweffect on May 10, 2015 - 07:24 PM.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Squelch the desire to go sailing and make sure all the little pieces are found and added to the boat. I have battens. You will need to stake your sail out on ground and allowing 2" extra for each needed, measure your pocket lengths. You are looking at around $50 plus $30 shipping. Personally I would never sail without battens, it's like walking with your shoe laces untied. Jib battens not as critical as they're always hooking on halyard wire anyway. Pete 909-800-5237
  • Thanks guys. I rented jaws 2 recently because I heard that, I was happy that it was the only one to survive the collision almost unscathed, I even thought of painting mine as an omage to the one in the movie. I'll check out the hobie battens, there's a beachcat event in a couple weeks I can do some comparing then. I guess it makes sense to wait, after some thought, I do have a tendency to disappoint myself with inferior results because of impatience. I'll check out that site and take the measuring advice and just do it right.
  • What Pete is offering is a good deal, and I too would recommend against sailing without them. The shape of the sail will be poor, high drag and possible overpowering the boat in bigger winds because you won't be able to flatten the sail much. I also suspect that the trailing edge of the main(the leech) would flog, which could do damage(stretching, possible tearing) fairly easily if the sailcloth is old and tired. You'll benefit from sailing the boat properly rigged, by having fewer unpleasant experiences as you learn. When these boats get powered up, they are fairly stressed, so all the systems need to be sound. Having equipment breakdowns in a blow can be serious business. So hold out a bit more til you can scrounge the necessary coin to get her fitted out safely.

Dave

I too have a set of battens for sale(H18), but Pete's are more reasonable.
  • Thanks Pete and Dave,
    I'll measure my sails and get in touch with you Pete, from what I've seen your offer is pretty generous.
  • Where in ID are you Mike? I'm in Spokane, and Kalispell.

Dave
  • I'm in Meridian, how's things up there?
  • Got some great battens from Pete today! They fit well and I'm looking forward to the next project. Thanks Pete, you're a great resource and a darn nice guy.
  • mike-idahoThanks Pete, you're a great resource and a darn nice guy.

+1

The wife hails from Coeur d'Alene.
    We were up there a few years ago at her HS reunion.
    Still gotta go to Spokane for a culture fix, though Huddie's (Hudson's) is still the best burger ever.
    The grill is over a hundred years old.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Haven't been that far north yet, I'll take that burger recommendation under advisement.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.