Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Most fuel efficient auto for towing H18  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

• cezo823How about a VW Dirty Diesel, nice low end torque, easy to upgrade the brakes if needed. Just a thought.

If I could get it past smog in CA.... this would be the way I would go...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • QuoteI would not recommend adding a trans cooler to a Camry to tow a basic catamaran rig..... Because it already has one

Hi John, good info

I am no mechanic, and just regurgitating what I have found/seen online - which was eye opening

in almost every thread about towing with non-tow packages, the recommendation of a trans cooler came up
  • MN3
    QuoteI would not recommend adding a trans cooler to a Camry to tow a basic catamaran rig..... Because it already has one

Hi John, good info

I am no mechanic, and just regurgitating what I have found/seen online - which was eye opening

in almost every thread about towing with non-tow packages, the recommendation of a trans cooler came up

Sure.... they want to sell you something

Only time you should add one is when there isn't one... But most cars these days have them.... far cheaper than replacing the whole transmission unit under warrentee. We were having trouble with the VW Eurovans....blowing transmissions left and right @ 15K-20K miles... too many RPMs from the engine.... and pulling a lot of weight with the van curb weight itself.. VW came out with a cooling kit... bingo problem solved...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • QuoteSure.... they want to sell you something

Only time you should add one is when there isn't one... But most cars these days have them

These are on auto related threads (not retail stores)

there isn't one on my brand new car (that i know of)
  • I can't say all but certainly the majority of car with automatic transmission have a transmission oil cooler. It is usually inside the bottom reservoir of the engine main radiator. It can't be seen from outside. Only the inlet and outlet tubing going in and out of the radiator can be seen. Those are for normal operation of the car. If you tow anything over a certain weight that depend on the car, you better install a secondary oil cooler. The best person to tell you if it's needed for the weight you want to carry is your dealer. And he will probably tell you 'yes' whatever the weight you want to pull.

Edited by coolhead on Feb 17, 2017 - 01:34 PM.

--
    AB
    --
  • I used to tow my H18 with a diesel VW rabbit and this included up and down over tongue mountain and across NY State I - 90 which has long hills. It handled it fine with no issues and wish I still had a picture (1980s pre-digital age) as the boat/mast dwarfed the car.

James
    H17+
    F25C+
  • Which VW dirty diesel? I'm currently driving an Opel Insignia Diesel station wagon while on vacation. It's a fantastic car. 40mpg, plenty of power, absolutely no issue climbing to altitude (steep mountain pass at over 7,000 feet). I know it would tow the F18 with ease. In the U.S this is known as the Buick Regal, but it's not available in a wagon variant never mind a diesel.
  • samc99usWhich VW dirty diesel? I'm currently driving an Opel Insignia Diesel station wagon while on vacation. It's a fantastic car. 40mpg, plenty of power, absolutely no issue climbing to altitude (steep mountain pass at over 7,000 feet). I know it would tow the F18 with ease. In the U.S this is known as the Buick Regal, but it's not available in a wagon variant never mind a diesel.

Last time in Germany I had a Ford Kuga... (Ford Escape in the US) with a 2.0L diesel with a 6 speed manual... It was nothing compared to the BMW 535 Twin Turbo Diesel I had on the previous trip but it got respect...

That thing pulled all the "hills" in Southern Germany with no effort... Pulling a cat would not even be an issue

Sigh.... wish they sold them over here!

Edited by JohnES on Feb 25, 2017 - 05:56 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • those German cars are nice but also cost a bit more in upkeep, a Passat or Jetta wagon might work. I am thinking a bit more frugally and leaning towards something that can tow and also has some room but is not a full SUV so might get good gas mileage. Maybe after parting with the powerboat a RAV4 or a Honda CR-V would be more suitable than an overpowered Tundra handling the beachcats....the RAV4 comes in a V6 or even an AWD version...

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • My two cents:
    Towing your H18 above 50 mph will require great trailer tires, fully inflated, and properly packed wheel bearings.
    Cheap, discounted tires will fail (explode) above this, especially if under-inflated and at the worst possible time.

Edited by klozhald on Feb 26, 2017 - 06:27 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.