Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.0 Running Rigging  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hello All,

Just purchased a 1983 N5.0. It's in generally very good conditon, but missing a few things including the block that attaches to the mainsail clew plate (see pic below). A picture or two of the OEM main sheet setup would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6l8KNLf9GRLbngwVlFSdHY0eWM/view?usp=sharing

Edited by leeboweffect on Apr 24, 2015 - 09:18 AM.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Congrats on the purchase!!

Here's a link to the manual:
    http://www.nacrasailing.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/nacra-vintage-assembly-manual.pdf

The pics of the main block assembly are pretty poor. You'll want a 6:1 block setup. The upper block attaches to the main sail clew (your picture) with an "S" hook. Put the hook in the aft hole for light winds and move it forward as the wind picks up.

The bottom blocks attach to the traveler car.

If you still have questions, let me know and I'll get some pics of my setup.

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • Hi, and welcome,

I believe the N 5.0 came with a 6:1 purchase from Harken,
    like this;

http://i.imgur.com/dEf4y5e.png

of course the block shown are more modern.

The mainsheet system is expensive and if you still have to
    get it for your N 5.0 I'd opt for a 8;1 purchase. So much
    more comfort.
    Have a look in the classifieds. There's a few persons here
    that sell used cat-parts.

Grtz, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Thanks for your replies Tim and Andre. As a total newbie to the NACRA 5.0 all help is much appreciated. Most of my previous experience is with the Hobie 16.

The boat came with this for the lower (traveler) portion of the mainsheet system:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6l8KNLf9GRLREdLVlI5NFFrWVE/view?usp=sharing

Obviously it's a triple, intended for a 6:1 arrangement as shown in the photo posted above by Andre.

I will have to find the upper triple block and an S-hook. I just wondered if it was truly just a plain open S-hook or had some kind of retainer on? It seemed like an open type would be prone to inadvertent release.

Tim please do post a photo of your setup when you get a chance.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Have a triple with becket which will give you 7:1 (check my classifieds) Pete 909-800-5237
  • Thanks Pete. Will call you Monday 04/27/15 in the PM for me as I'm in NC and you're in CA.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • The hook does not release accidentally. The reason why it is a hook rather than a shackle is that you can switch it between holes while tacking in case you want to power up or power down as described above.
  • We have a stock '88 5.0, it came with a 5:1, which is plenty. I use a 7:1 on the larger 5.7, however, you might as well use the parts you have, Pete's triple will set you up.
    If that S hook inadvertently releases, you have much bigger things to worry about. Don't change it, it makes life easy when returning, especially if you are in a confined area. Simply release the rudders, head up, then lift the S hook out of clew plate, step off boat & grab the bows & walk it to where you want it.
    The main will go to null position.
    Do a search for Nacra 5.0 on this site, there have been numerous informative threads over the last few years.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteA picture or two of the OEM main sheet setup would be very helpful.Thanks in advance

Here is how your will look. This is my 5.7, but you will have the same setup once you get the triple upper block. (I think you need one with becket)
    The only difference is mine used the low profile system, you have the 4th block separate.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=103258&g2_serialNumber=4
    There are a number of photos in this album that might answer some questions. It's a 5.7, but is mostly the same boat, just 2' longer.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Thanks Ed, your pic is just what I was looking for.

Murrays offers two hooks:

http://www.murrays.com/56-9650.html

http://www.murrays.com/56-9651.html

Yours appears to be 9651.

New at this forum, I searched the albums for yours, edchris177 in search window, to no avail. How do I find the album you mention above? It says that the album name is searchable.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • sorry, I thought I posted the link, here it is. I've been meaning to make a 5.0 album, but...
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures?g2_itemId=71715
    Actually, I'm not sure how to search the Albums. I've just selected the Album Topic,(Tech Help, Members etc), then scrolled through & selected any that looked interesting or relevant. It does take some time as there are pages of Members.
    There is a photo of a G Cat for sale, in the classifieds. It has the extra block, I think it is the exact setup you have.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • sorry, I thought I posted the link, here it is. I've been meaning to make a 5.0 album, but...
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures?g2_itemId=71715
    Actually, I'm not sure how to search the Albums. I've just selected the Album Topic,(Tech Help, Members etc), then scrolled through & selected any that looked interesting or relevant. It does take some time as there are pages of Members.
    There is a photo of a G Cat for sale, in the classifieds. It has the extra block, I think it is the exact setup you have.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Thanks Ed. Just looked at the album. A lot of good info.. In the process of getting this 5.0 going I'll be taking quite a few pics for reference that others may find useful. Perhaps we can collaborate on a 5.0 album.

BTW I love the pic of your main hanging in the great room !@#$%!@#$$%@#$$%%^

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • It looks like Ed took care of you with his picture. I'm using a hook similar to the 9651 you mentioned above. Hope you're on the water soon!

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • One more thing that I just thought of - when you rig the line for your traveler (whether you use your mainsheet or a separate line), make sure to tie a knot in the line ahead of the swivel cleat on the rear beam so that you limit the distance outboard that the traveler can go. You need to make sure that the traveler can't hit the cap at the end of the track. If it does, there's a good chance that the end cap will join King Neptune, your car will fly off the end of the beam losing all its bearings, and you'll have a VERY interesting trip back to shore.

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • Thanks Tim. Got it, limit the traveler car travel prior to impact. I use to tie a knot in the traveler control line on the H16 to stop the traveler car about an inch from the casting. On the H16 should you forget to do this, the car could not escape after slamming in the the corner casting!

I prefer separate mainsheet/traveler control lines, color coded.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Tim, Ronstan offers several versions of the S-hook that look like the Murrays 9651 in different material gauges, lengths and load ratings. What is the material gauge and length of your mainsail clew hook?, see here:

http://www.ronstan.us/marine5/search.asp?S=1&query=s-hook&search=Search

Click on "view product" for any PN to see the drawing and dimensions C and D.

Edited by leeboweffect on Apr 27, 2015 - 11:16 AM.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • I'll measure it when I get home and let ya know.

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • RF49 is the closest to mine. 5/16" diameter, 1/2" opening (measurement A on Ronstan site), and 2 7/8" overall length.

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • Thanks Tim, please see your private messages.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.