Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Picking a drysuit  Bottom

• So I can't say its been an easy path even getting to this point, but I could certainly use some more input on picking a dry suit to extend my sailing season. At the moment my front runners are Gill and Henri Lloyd. My budget is something around $600 (A.K.A. my tax return). I think the biggest hurdle I am facing is a general lack of knowledge. Every brick and mortar store within 150 miles that could sell me a dry suit does not stock them, and employees aren't knowledgeable enough to answer questions. The closes't store, which is a 3 hour drive north to Traverse City, MI is a seller of Gill but not Henri Lloyd.

My simplest questions:
    Neoprene gaskets or Latex? Latex sounds like the best option to prevent water from entering, but a lot of the sailing dry suits I think go with Neoprene
    Back zipper vs Chest zipper? What would be the best option for solo entry and exit. I want to be able to go for a solo sail after work
    Ankle gasket with wetsuit boots vs dry suit socks built in? Whats best for comfort and warmth? What do you ware over built in socks

Also, what sets the different suits apart? I have looked online at Gill, Kokatat, Gul, Henri Lloyd, Ocean Rodeo, Mystic Gear, Neil Pryde, and probably others but I can't really tell much of a difference between them. Not even their own manufacture's websites have detailed information about their suits. Included suspenders? Gasket type? pockets? socks? Honestly the only thing that I can say pushes me in any which way is towards the Henri Lloyd because I like the red color.

Your feedback would be so appreciated.
  • I own a Kokatat bib with socks and pee zipper in front

It has a neoprene and velcro flap that can roll and seal up with a dry top or splash top

I LOVE IT

i wear big wool socks under when the water is cold and light socks when it's not so bad

I LOVE the zipper so i don't have to strip down
  • tiberiusgv
    My simplest questions:
    Neoprene gaskets or Latex? Latex sounds like the best option to prevent water from entering, but a lot of the sailing dry suits I think go with Neoprene
    Back zipper vs Chest zipper? What would be the best option for solo entry and exit. I want to be able to go for a solo sail after work
    Ankle gasket with wetsuit boots vs dry suit socks built in? Whats best for comfort and warmth? What do you ware over built in socks

Hi,
    Neoprene gaskets, because they are so much more comfortable.
    Chest zipper if you want to dress/undress solo.
    Latex dry-suit socks, thermo or wool socks in the cold, light socks in the summer.
    Wetsuit boots over the drysuit socks, again thick in the cold and thin when its
    warmer.
    MN3's pee Zipper is good advice. Numerous times I was fully dressed and had
    to go icon_frown no fun at all..

Regards, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • I meant to add, I am in central florida on the gulf... my conditions will never be close to what people sail in anywhere north of the mason dixon line

MN3I own a Kokatat bib with socks and pee zipper in front

It has a neoprene and velcro flap that can roll and seal up with a dry top or splash top

I LOVE IT

i wear big wool socks under when the water is cold and light socks when it's not so bad

I LOVE the zipper so i don't have to strip down
  • I've got a set of the Kokatat Bibs and like them a lot the limited times I've worn them. I got mine really cheap on eBay. I've seen them a few times on eBay for around $400. the Gortex (have the pee zipper) are pretty high new, about your budget. You can get the lesser material without the pee flap for under $300. I also bought a Stolquist dry top for about $150 with a neoprene neck. I hate the rubber neck gaskets.

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • You can custom order anything you want fom Kokatat - I went to a local hobie / scub dealer (tackle shack) and they are dealers. they called in my order on the spot.

find a local dealer (they list them on the Kokatat site) if there isn't one local ... you can call any dealer (or tackle shack in pinellas park florida) with your height, inseam, shoesize and Credit card - they can call in the custom order

I do not have the gore-tex but my sailing buddy does. If i sail all day and get hot and sweaty there MAY be some more moisture in my suit compared to the goretex but nothing unzipping the pee slot open and letting it air out for a minute wont fix - just don't forget to zip up before you get off the boat or capsize

lakewatereeI've got a set of the Kokatat Bibs and like them a lot the limited times I've worn them. I got mine really cheap on eBay. I've seen them a few times on eBay for around $400. the Gortex (have the pee zipper) are pretty high new, about your budget. You can get the lesser material without the pee flap for under $300. I also bought a Stolquist dry top for about $150 with a neoprene neck. I hate the rubber neck gaskets.

Edited by MN3 on Apr 17, 2015 - 11:26 AM.
  • tiberiusgv,

Where we sail, its in the 52 Latitude. So,it can be pretty cold and the water
    stays cold in spring.
    We start sailing around 50 dgr F Air temperature, the water temp is around
    40-45 dgr F.
    What you're wearing under the dry-suit really depends on the local situation.
    Had a dry-suit tailor-made a few years ago, partly because of my size,
    partly because I could specify certain things like latex sock size, zipper
    arrangement and extra padding on knees, elbows and bum.
    When we start early in the season I wear this:
    long arm and leg thermal underwear (motorbike shop)
    Thick insulated socks ( mountain climbing shop)
    Fleece legging
    Jogging pants
    Long arm cotton shirt
    Long arm fleece sweater ( sometimes 2)
    10 mm Wetsuit boots ( kite-board shop ) over dry-suit latex socks
    Thick neoprene gloves ( dive shop )
    Thick neoprene beanie
    Important, keep your head warm, its a known fact you
    lose a lot of body-temperature through the head.
    As you can see, I bought some articles in non-marine related
    shops, because marine-clothing is ridiculously expensive.
    Thermal underwear, for instance, can also be found in clothes-shop
    for carpenters/construction workers.
    I peel of layers when the temp is rising, my rule of thumb
    is when it feels comfortable on land without the dry-suit, I'm
    ok on the water with the drysuit on.
    When temperatures go over 64 dgr F, i switch to the wetsuit.

Grtz, André

Edit:
    Some additional info.
    Suspenders, you need them, they hold the crouch of suit up against you’re belongings.
    This way you can move better around the cat.
    Pockets, not on a dry suit, if you tear a pocket the suit will ,most likely, not be waterproof
    anymore. Instead get a pfd with pockets.
    Most dry-suit designs are not purpose made for cat-sailors, so have a closer look
    at extra padding on knees, elbows and bum.
    Also the fabric on different suits can vary rather extreme, try to get the most rugged suit.
    ( highest OZ , I believe)
    Depending on the climate you’re sailing in, you could order the latex sock half a size
    bigger, that way there’s room for two pairs of socks. Same goes for the complete suit,
    you want it to be oversized a bit.
    As for gore-tex, its probably not within you’re budget, and after a while of abuse it
    tends to leak whereas the rugged suits carry on.
    Thats all I know about dry-suits from my personal experience .

Edited by catmodding on Apr 18, 2015 - 04:44 PM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • I've had six or seven suits over the years, and I didn't notice any great differences in construction or quality between mfgrs. I only seem to get a season or two out of latex gaskets, so I prefer the neoprene gaskets for longevity and comfort. I do like the socks, the Kokatat I'm currently using has Gore Tex booties which work well and my last longer than latex. I've had Gore Tex suits, and haven't found them noticeably more comfortable than non, I do notice when I'm sweating that the undergarments are moist, but that's never translated into being cold. I'm in WA and MT, and start sailing in April(March this year!) and into October, with very cold water in the spring, so I use the suit for a couple months at the beginning of the season, and maybe a month at the end.

I've found near new suits on CL several times for substantial discounts, folk who buy them and discover they really don't want to be out there in those conditions.

Dave
  • This might work pending your conditions. For dry suit
    http://www.apsltd.com/c-3844-dry-suits.aspx
    I use 5mil farmer john and booties as I'm getting wet anyway getting boat to open water. Plus I use the same gear for scuba. Good protection from getting banged up on the boat. I use breathable shell and various top undergarments pending how cold it is. Hood, yes perhaps. Hat yes too. Atlas rubber dipped gloves. Wet suit is good too as it adds to floatation when taking that occasional dip...capsize. Did i mention you can pee then at that time, will give you some added warmth for a few while your getting the boat up in the cold water... icon_lol Dry suits are to hot for me... high 40's, 50's.

Edited by goodsailing on Apr 18, 2015 - 01:52 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteI've had six or seven suits over the years, and I didn't notice any great differences in construction or quality between mfgrs. I

when i purchased mine 15 months ago or so, the dealer (who carried many brands) said most mfgs have moved production overseas the past few years and he would only recommend brands that were made in the USA for quality
  • I just picked up a couple Ocean Rodeo Igniite dry suits for long distance sailing up in British Columbia. We have been out a few times in them in really unpleasant conditions. They are by far the best sailing drysuits I have worn. I say this for a few reasons. First they have a built in jacket with a very high spray collar (just like what is seen on offshore sailing foulies), it is great for tucking your face into and protecting it from spray. Second, it has a hood which I like in cold rainy conditions. Third, standby mode. when its warm and conditions are easy I can take off the neck gasket and let the suit breath. I can still have the outer jacket zipped up and protect myself from spray. Forth, built in knee pads. These maybe a little pricy and a little bit overkill for warmer climates or day sailing, but for long distance sailing in moderate zones I would look into them.

Also, definitely get a suit with built in booties!

--
    Phil W
    Nacra 570
    Victoria BC
    www.mausails.com
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.