Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Homemade Beach Wheels  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• CatsailorMikegoodsailing...just my $.02 for what it's worth. made these almost 10 years ago and haven't had any problems here on our sandy beach.yeah they can pull harder than "official" beach wheels but it works for me

http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=82521

That is great. I think I will try the same.

--
    Geno Hacker
    Lake Isabella, California
    Supercat 20, 1/2 of a B-Lion, H18, P16, H14
    --
  • The area were I will be sailing is soft sand. I got the Laser dolly stuck there (lawn mower wheels) and couldn't get the boat to the water. Cat is even heavier. Hence, conditions might determine which way you go with this. It would be nice to have every set, and see which DIY wheels work best for your particular area. I hate to invest, then have a particular style not work, then have to put good money after bad to make ones that will work. The nanco's should work anywhere...

we know, we know we can just buy cat trax, but then we'd loose out in all the fun we're having trying to reinvent the wheel. icon_lol

Edited by goodsailing on Apr 08, 2015 - 03:57 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • If you invest in Catrax beach wheels, you will be investing in something that will work everywhere. Reinvent the wheel on something that's not going to ruin a trip to the beach and/or throw out your back leading to even more unintended financial loss. My $0.02

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • I've built two set's of beach wheels. If you have the materials and the wheels and tires, give it a go. I also have a set of catrax's and can say they out preform the sets I make and were worth what I paid. I'm very happy with my second set that I built, but I really just copied the catraxs right down to the bearings.
  • Quotebut I really just copied the catraxs right down to the bearings.

Where are you guys getting the rims and the hubs (2" bore) for the nanco's tires?

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • This thread is getting so dumb............ best bet ( and cheaper ) is to spend $ 80 a month with a personal trainer to condition you to "haul"your boat the beach by hand

Edited by fxloop on Apr 08, 2015 - 10:02 PM.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Quotecondition you to "haul"your boat the beach by hand

I wonder if you set your boat on mylar sheets, you could glide it across sand. Don't laugh. (See videos of Everglades Challenge how guy's get their heavier than Hobie Cat boats off the sand to the water.) You may even be able to cut skis from stiff yet pliable plastic with slots out front to tie rope handle. Slip them under the hulls and haul away. Weight would be distributed throughout the entire length of the hull. They could be called Cat Skis! Or Cat Sled...hmmmm

Or use logs:

http://library.osu.edu/projects/bennett-in-japan/images/full/13/15.jpg

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteThis thread is getting so dumb

I agree wholeheartedly! wallbash

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --
  • QuoteCheck this site out, pretty cool tool to compare the stiffness of different tubes.

http://metalgeek.com/static/deflection.php

At second glance, this is for square tubing, which may not be as strong as round tube.

I found this one. It might be good to calculate stress along an 8' span of 4130 for axle.

https://www.roguefab.com/calculator.php

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Not knowing beach conditions I decided to go with the rubber tires. I did seriously consider the plastic dock wheels as that would have been half the cost of what I will pay...

Do the cat trax tires have inner tubes or are they tubless? If tubes, do you have the TR-6 stem, that allows the stem to remain stationary, not get pulled back into the rim? It seems with such low operating pressure might not allow for proper seating of the tire bead to the rim, hence the need for inner tube at added weight.

My tires came and they are each 10.5 lbs.
    So we're up to 21lbs.
    Yet to come: Hubs, rims, and axle (and possible inner tubes should tubeless not hold air) are being delivered.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113377&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Cradles in the making: Oven heated water pipe and pressed on hulls to cool. Thinking now of bracket arrangement.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113262&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • The steel rims came and were not as heavy as I thought. After getting stems, from my tire guys, (they said they couldn't put the tires on), I managed to get the rubber on the rims but was unable to seat the beads. I tried believe me with ratchet strap etc. So I took them down to the gas station where I know the guys and in 5 mins they had the rubber on there. I had them fill to 10lbs. Pretty solid. No charge... Wow. I brought them home and weighed them. 18lbs each. So we're up to 36 lbs thus far for rubber and rims. I wasn't sure if these rims had zero offset or not, but came through with several inches offset.

Waiting for hubs...
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113381&g2_serialNumber=3

Forgot to mention: no inner tubes necessary.

Edited by goodsailing on Apr 14, 2015 - 06:55 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • After speaking with the lady who said she had the steel tube I set out to the place I visited a couple of years ago about an hour away. When I pulled up to the door I noticed the sign: CLOSED. Hmmmm was she out to lunch perhaps. A man in the adjacent shop came from the garage door and greeted me. I asked where she was and he said: They're closed. The firm that bought the business took the inventory and also the phone number. I bowed my head and said: I just spoke with her... He said: yea she's 1000 miles from here. I mentioned how far I just came.. then I said: did they leave anything. He said: yea, there's some tubing left. We entered the building, a place I had been in before. The place smelled like steel. There was some old equipment there.. you know, a place where once men worked.. you felt it. I asked the man if he had a rule. He grabbed a rule from a desk and we went up stairs to where there was some steel. Nope,, a few pieces too thin. We went back down stairs and I looked in another bin and low and behold, the tag said: 1". I pulled it out and it was 106 " more than enough for my axle. I said: this is it. This is what I came for. I asked him what he wanted for it. He said: How about two bucks. I said: deal. I gave him the money and I put it in my car and came home. Lucky she didn't say: we've moved or I wouldn't have taken the trip--just ordered from her and then have to pay freight. I expected to pay over $100 for the axle, so it only cost $2... a good day today
    Waiting for the hubs..

Edited by goodsailing on Apr 16, 2015 - 07:06 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • You got to love a day that starts out great,turns to crap then ends on a high note!!

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • I can't decide if you both stole it or you paid a guy $2 for stolen goods?- either way, ... enjoy :)
  • QuoteI can't decide if you both stole it or you paid a guy $2 for stolen goods?- either way, ... enjoy :)

aaaah yes... glad you picked up on that. The person who let me in the shop was a family member who formally had nothing to do with the steel when they were selling it there. Most of the stuff there was junk, that the new owner didn't want. Rusted machine equipment etc. I just happened to pull a piece from rusty bin that was coated pretty heavy with oil which had little to no surface rust. Now that I think of it, I might have loaded more...for other projects... they probably want it gone! The buyer isn't coming back etc..

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteYou got to love a day that starts out great,turns to crap then ends on a high note!!

Got that right Onekiwi

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Here's the short axle for my modified A Cat hull. The 4 bolt hubs work great with the 1" collars. I had to grind some of the tubing down as it was a few mm too thick so that the 1" bearings would fit on the tube. Pretty slick. I'll show the long axle one for the H18 once I move this hull (80lbs) to another part of the property for sanding..

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113459&g2_serialNumber=2

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113463&g2_serialNumber=2

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Just wondering, has anyone tried using pool noodles for the hull rests. I picked up 2 4" pool noodles in Walmart yesterday. They have about a 1" hole in the center. Just thinking these could work instead of cradles shown above, which will require making a bracket of some sort...

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • I have lined wooden hull crates (2' x 2' frames with hull shapes cut out) with pool noodles to avoid scratches but they have a limited lifespan in the fl sun and didn't holdup for long (and IMHO they would never handle repetitive use)

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.