Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beach wheels Rubber vs Plastic  Bottom

• I own a set of plastic beach wheels, I mostly haul through soft sand, some packed sand. I've heard the rubber wheels are a lot better for sand. Since launching and retrieving are the hardest part, I was thinking of getting some rubber ones. Worth the $300 considering I already have plastic set?
  • Plastic wheels are 1000 times better than having no wheels.
    Rubber wheels are 100 times better than plastic wheels.

sm
  • +Dogboy

I have the blue hard plastic cat trax w/cradles for my P-19 and have used them for several years. They work fine on hard pack sand like we normally have in Galveston. However, in soft, deep sand, the hard blue cat trax suck. The black pneumatic are much better in deep/soft sand. I was in Biloxi, MS last summer at OSYC and I had a hard time rolling my P-19 across the sand. I ended up borrowing a friends black trax to move my boat.

I refuse to pay $700 for a new set of Cat Trax. Once you pay shipping and ad cradles it's a big expense. I've been trying to find a used set, I can then sell my blue ones.
  • I have had both and now have the plastic as my beach is a "natural" beach with a lot of shells and other stuff that kept penetrating the pneumatic wheels. Horseshoe crab shells and tails are particularly hard on the pneumatic wheels. About half of the haul distance is hard pack and half soft, and yes, if you have soft sand, pneumatic are much easier.
    I went a different way and picked up an extra set of wheels, so I drag the boat on 2 sets of plastic wheels, so I have no problem at all dragging my Supercat 15 up and down the beach the 80' or so.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • jalex: I too have used both and, if I launched frequently on sand, I would not be without the rubber tires........they are well worth it.

goodsailing: You hijack a thread to ask what people think about your idea that you've already put up in another thread. They tell you what they think, and you post rant upon rant in argument against them. MN3 is trying to save you some time, effort, and money. If you're going to do what you're going to do regardless of the advice you get, then please just go do it and let us know how it turns out. Video would be nice. Please get a close up of the 1" O.D. aluminum axle failure.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • rattlenhumgoodsailing: You hijack a thread to ask what people think about your idea that you've already put up in another thread. They tell you what they think, and you post rant upon rant in argument against them. MN3 is trying to save you some time, effort, and money. If you're going to do what you're going to do regardless of the advice you get, then please just go do it and let us know how it turns out. Video would be nice. Please get a close up of the 1" O.D. aluminum axle failure.

+1
    Jerome, I owe you a beer or two. See you guys at S2S.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Quotegoodsailing: You hijack a thread to ask what people think about your idea that you've already put up in another thread. They tell you what they think, and you post rant upon rant in argument against them. MN3 is trying to save you some time, effort, and money. If you're going to do what you're going to do regardless of the advice you get, then please just go do it and let us know how it turns out. Video would be nice. Please get a close up of the 1" O.D. aluminum axle failure.

I'm sorry, didn't know I hijack any thread. Sorry. I've not ranted against anyone.
    All the best.

Edited by goodsailing on Apr 02, 2015 - 10:16 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • goodsailing: I, too, apologize for being so harsh. I hope you figure all this out, and, with your enthusiasm, I'm betting you will one way or the other. Happy Easter.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.