Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Super cat 17 as first cat?  Bottom

• A little background first. I've got a lot of dinghy sailing experience and two years of sailing a Hobie wave. I'm looking to move up to something a little faster. I like the look of the Hobie 16. But I'd like something a little more roomy. Most of the time it will just be my wife and I but occasionally we'll take some friends out. Mostly we just plan on exploring the spoil islands around the honeymoon Island area of Dunedin. I'm looking for some that's easy/fast to rig, and forgiving. Your thoughts on this supercat?
  • good boat, very "wet" boat, not lots of room on the tramp - would be very tight with 3 people

ps i have a mystere 5.5 for sale in dunedin - PM if you want more info
  • Also mast is very heavy to raise on the SC 17. An 18' cat better idea for you. Pete
  • Once you sail a Super Cat you won't go back.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • I too am a big fan of the Supercats. Lots of bow buoyancy, solid construction, good part availability, and simple rig. Certainly greater load capacity than an H16, indeed a wet ride when cranked up, but so worth it! Worth a try, and check out MN3's Mystere, he'll probably give you a ride!

Dave
  • second that on the super cat fan base
    Own a 15, which is indeed wet, but super buoyant bows and able to haul 200#'s more than a Hobie 16. Almost no tendency to pitchpole
    Have sailed quite a few 17's and ditto for the boat. Super fun and stable.
    In addition, the folks at Aquarius Sail have the parts I need and best service possible.
    Not knocking any other suggestions, just supporting the SC line.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • QuoteIn addition, the folks at Aquarius Sail have the parts I need and best service possible.

i have heard the same about the support

I can't get even get an email back from the manufacturer of my boat

Edited by MN3 on Mar 05, 2015 - 11:18 AM.
  • Yeah, Tom and the folks there have helped me out on several occasions.
    Sent me shrouds overnight before a race the next day when I had an unfortunate incident using old shrouds. Yes, the Supercat masts are heavy, especially when they come down in the middle of a tack
    Have always gotten sound advice there as well.
    Recently bought a "used jib" from them that turned out to be as close to new as can be. They under promise and over deliver

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.